Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Security at Leinster House to be urgently reviewed in light of Washington riots"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The difference between the Capitol building in Washington and the Dail is that the Gardai are unlikely to take down the barriers and stand idly by as a mob streamed up to the doors......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I think the more worrying aspect is the fact that the National Library of Ireland and the Archaeological Museum are both located either side of the Dail. I'd spend a week laughing if the Dail was burned but not those two buildings.

Stir up enough rabble rousing and gather 10-15k people and the Dail could easily be stormed, what Garda is going to fire and kill on the people and start another Civil war? I think when it didn't happen in 2010 it will never happen. There was a legitimate reason for an uprising in 2010 and unless the states finances are brought into check soon we are facing another economic disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

saabsaab wrote: »
    If that mob were ISIS how many would be dead now? They have to up security everywhere. An armoured car at the Dail 24/7?

They’d have the army there..

Part of their responsibility...

To defend the Irish state against armed aggression.
    To give aid to the civil power (ATCP). This means that the Army assists, when requested, the Garda Síochána, who have primary responsibility for law and order in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Rothko wrote: »
    There's a certain amount of Irish people who think they're American and seem to mindlessly copy everything they do. Just look at the anti-mask and anti-vax crowd.

or the pro water fluoridation experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Just FYI. There are armed DF personnel in Leinster House. Just don't interupt during dinner time. They wont be happy.

Or at least bribe them with a few Snickers, might just open the gates.

Depot police , I think.
    Isn't there a video going around of a Garda or soldier grabbing Aengus O Snotface of Sinn Fein by the throat when he was acting the bollix at the gates of Leinster House years ago ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Just FYI. There are armed DF personnel in Leinster House. Just don't interupt during dinner time. They wont be happy.

Or at least bribe them with a few Snickers, might just open the gates.

: )
    Been there, done that.
    Face to face with very irate mob. Lads shouting in our faces what they were going to do to our families at home yada yada yawn...

Soldier behind me says " I know you lot - ban the seal and save the bomb "

Over zealous Lt gives order " shoot the first man over the gate..." Old sweat sgt produces his notebook and pen " very good sir - write that order down and sign it and I will carry it out"
    Nothing was written or signed and no one executed ( thankfully)

Yeah, snickers could have swung it either way late in that day but they were marathons back then.

There's a certain amount of Irish people who think they're American and seem to mindlessly copy everything they do. Just look at the anti-mask and anti-vax crowd.

Recent events surrounding the shooting of the criminal in Clonee by the guards are a good example.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

cajonlardo wrote: »
    : )
    Been there, done that.
    Face to face with very irate mob. Lads shouting in our faces what they were going to do to our families at home yada yada yawn...

Soldier behind me says " I know you lot - ban the seal and save the bomb "

Over zealous Lt gives order " shoot the first man over the gate..." Old sweat sgt produces his notebook and pen " very good sir - write that order down and sign it and I will carry it out"
    Nothing was written or signed and no one executed ( thankfully)

Yeah, snickers could have swung it either way late in that day but they were marathons back then.

Red arse!...and Red Cap! :pac:

Good aul Lt's...still idiots!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Well let's not glorify violence and destruction of property and we'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Seanergy wrote: »
    or the pro water fluoridation experts.

The wha?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Red arse!...and Red Cap! :pac:

Good aul Lt's...still idiots!

I wasnt p.a - I swear!!!
    ( think they were 1st fd down there. We were brought in for the day)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭corner of hells

cajonlardo wrote: »
    I wasnt p.a - I swear!!!
    ( think they were 1st fd down there. We were brought in for the day)

Nobody ever admits to being a PA.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Beasty wrote: »
    They just need to keep an eye on this forum. Any insurrection in Ireland is likely to be co-ordinated by one or two of our regulars....

:pac:

Keep them busy in feedback ,

They will forget about it in no time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You’re looking in the wrong direction. It’s the identity politics, BLM, looney left who think they’re American.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

You’re looking in the wrong direction. It’s the identity politics, BLM, looney left who think they’re American.

It's both directions and it's sick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I’m in as long as I’m first into the dail bar

Ah but €9 wont buy ya much of a meal there!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

It's both.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Dee Wall (Gemmas sidekick) was saying before if they had the numbers they could storm the dail.

The problem for them is they don't have the numbers.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I once watched the Oireachtas staff play a 5-a-side tournament against the Prison Officers out at Sportslink near the airport....
    Dee and Gemma would be beaten black and blue if they tried to get into Government Buildings! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I once watched the Oireachtas staff play a 5-a-side tournament against the Prison Officers out at Sportslink near the airport....
    Dee and Gemma would be beaten black and blue if they tried to get into Government Buildings! :D

Being good at hurling doesn't mean you are good at chucking people out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,335 ✭✭✭✭Esel

saabsaab wrote: »
    If that mob were ISIS how many would be dead now? They have to up security everywhere. An armoured car at the Dail 24/7?
    Like the armoured cars you wanted on the streets when Covid started?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 83,451 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Don’t joke about it because you don’t have some immediate perceivable threat.

That woman could have made it into lawmakers chambers with Molotov cocktails or makeshift bombs, and that goes as well for Dublin.

Peace time now would be the best time to examine this - long before conceivably radicalized partisan politics make it impossible to broach. What’s more the ease with which the DC Capitol siege took place will embolden extremists all over the world in their own countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

Overheal wrote: »

That woman could have made it into lawmakers chambers with Molotov cocktails or makeshift bombs, and that goes as well for Dublin.

Peace time now would be the best time to examine this - long before conceivably radicalized partisan politics make it impossible to broach. What’s more the ease with which the DC Capitol siege took place will embolden extremists all over the world in their own countries.

When she got shot, the camera panned around that very second on top of the stairs holding with the crowd, was black uniformed, armed officers with guns. Why are they just standing around checking out the crowd breaking in? There should be calls for an investigation to why they did move up and take them away from the door.

The woman had no gun. Who was she going to take out? The officer in the doorway did not say move back or i shot you. He just opened fire and killed her. She was a good distance on the otherside and he had plenty of time to shoot her somewhere else on the body. Shot to the neck aggressive move. I think the officer got jumpy and killed her.

Again there a whole line of armed officers on top of the stairs watching this, what are they doing?

Very true...

Just because we have been living and under democratic politics don’t take that for granted.

We’ve had anti lockdown protests... people attempting to subvert both the law public health and public health guidelines. For no other reason than they DONT WANT TO MUCK IN and do their bit... they DONT WANT to need to not see their mates, go to the pub, a concert, visit people, whatever... that’s anti Democratic, that’s endangering people, that’s anti health. It’s essentially fûcking the country under the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Notice in Irish Independent this morning: "Security at Leinster House to be urgently reviewed in light of Washington riots"

Nonsense. A lot of us in Ireland have issues with our politicians but to be honest none of them(not many anyway) descend to the imbecilic level of Donald Trump who single handedly caused insurrection to break-out on Capital Hill. Fears that groups could target Leinster House in a similar fashion to what played out in Washington overnight are baseless. Keep the focus on Covid and concentrate Government resources on expediting more vaccines into the country. We are lagging way behind Britain and the rest of the world and this will inevitably delay our recovery and increase short term unemployment.

Completely agree.

Some of the responses in the thread make depressing reading. It seems that many boards.ie posters won't be happy until we are like this:

https://twitter.com/i/events/1346610377019203584

• Registered Users Posts: 30,598 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We've this guy, they'll be fine!
    image.jpg

The woman had no gun. Who was she going to take out? The officer in the doorway did not say move back or i shot you. He just opened fire and killed her. She was a good distance on the otherside and he had plenty of time to shoot her somewhere else on the body. Shot to the neck aggressive move. I think the officer got jumpy and killed her.

There is no way to ascertain who in the mob had what. They had guns clearly drawn, in the ready position. You don't need much more warning than that. A gun is pointed at your face, you're in fight/flight, you don't need to be told twice that death is possible. Yet she chose to try and charge through the window of the door. Impossible to say she couldn't have had anything on her when they fired at her. People carried pipe bombs and molotov cocktails (that we know about) into the Capitol yesterday, and loaded concealed firearms. All things which are available or producible to the wrong extremist in Ireland, also. I thought the person who shot her was secret service but it was a plain dress capitol officer.

There will imaginably be a complete congressional and DOJ inquiry into the entire affair

Strumms wrote: »
    Very true...

Just because we have been living and under democratic politics don’t take that for granted.

We’ve had anti lockdown protests... people attempting to subvert both the law public health and public health guidelines. For no other reason than they DONT WANT TO MUCK IN and do their bit... they DONT WANT to need to not see their mates, go to the pub, a concert, visit people, whatever... that’s anti Democratic, that’s endangering people, that’s anti health. It’s essentially fûcking the country under the bus.

Or even the entire other way, you could have a popular insurrection of immigrants and refugees or something. Without sounding like a sandwich board, something like that could begin fomenting at any point for any arbitrary or capricious reason. So, if none of that is going on currently, it might be a great & opportune moment to think ahead for it.

Or even the entire other way, you could have a popular insurrection of immigrants and refugees or something. Without sounding like a sandwich board, something like that could begin fomenting at any point for any arbitrary or capricious reason. So, if none of that is going on currently, it might be a great & opportune moment to think ahead for it.

Unlikely... that would be biting the hand that feeds them firstly and secondly signing their own deportation orders. They can also be detained until a point where that order is enforced / enforceable if they are deemed a risk to public safety. Bye bye Baleskin... morning Mountjoy !

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    Unlikely... that would be biting the hand that feeds them firstly and secondly signing their own deportation orders. They can also be detained until a point where that order is enforced / enforceable if they are deemed a risk to public safety. Bye bye Baleskin... morning Mountjoy !

Yeah I thought yesterday was inconceivable too, because XYZ.

I'm a lot more shook today.

Advertisement