Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Security at Leinster House to be urgently reviewed in light of Washington riots"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭mikemac2

538755.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I will never not laugh at that gun photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Genuinely surprised that a mob could penetrate that far personally especially with the US and security but then I guess it's different when it's your own citizens and I assume there was no clear procedures on where to draw the line against an angry mob rather than an armed force of arabs of which they probably had lots of training for :D

However the population of the US is massive. Ireland just doesn't have the numbers of crazies required to storm Leinster. We're just not that sort of people as well. Sure the mother would be mortified to see us on the news :)

I would still say it makes sense for any government to see what happened in the US and to go over their security plans regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Genuinely surprised that a mob could penetrate that far personally especially with the US and security but then I guess it's different when it's your own citizens and I assume there was no clear procedures on where to draw the line against an angry mob rather than an armed force of arabs of which they probably had lots of training for :D

However the population of the US is massive. Ireland just doesn't have the numbers of crazies required to storm Leinster. We're just not that sort of people as well. Sure the mother would be mortified to see us on the news :)

I would still say it makes sense for any government to see what happened in the US and to go over their security plans regardless.

I have heard the lack of security mentioned many times in the news. It is very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I’m in as long as I’m first into the dail bar

I believe that the security concerns are actually just about the Dail bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

nullzero wrote: »
    The problem for them is they don't have the numbers.

Lets face it though; they would do it if they could.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Rothko wrote: »
    It's both.

The right in Ireland are just cranks. They’ve been around long before any US influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,169 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'd say the only people up for storming the Dáil would be the same people who picketed politicians private homes. And we remember the pitiful numbers that got :rolleyes:

Never the less, no harm being ready for them.

The right in Ireland are just cranks. They’ve been around long before any US influence.

Indeed but lets face it: Trump, Brexit, Repeal and Covid have all assisted in their growth.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

True, FF/FG were around long before Trump came to prominence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Indeed but lets face it: Trump, Brexit, Repeal and Covid have all assisted in their growth.

You would do well to remember that gay rights protests in the early days of the gay rights movement were often illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I have heard the lack of security mentioned many times in the news. It is very odd.

It's becoming clearer why, the throng contained cops who made their presence known to the police stationed there and they got waved through basically.

tdf7187 wrote: »
    You would do well to remember that gay rights protests in the early days of the gay rights movement were often illegal.

Thanks. You're very kind but I dont need history lectures.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Just issue the TDs and senators with cyanide capsules and at the first sign of trouble at either house just instruct them to take them. They can't be captured then

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It never struck me as particularly difficult to attack Leinster House if someone wanted to tbh.

We had this lad for one

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/dail-swordsman-staging-one-man-rebellion-sentenced-to-200-hours-community-service-30684537.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

At this stage, the clowns inside the gate present a bigger threat to democracy then the clowns outside the gate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

The far left in Ireland is far larger. The far right in Ireland is virtually non-existant outside of GOD and her 3 mates. Yes an eye should be kept but so should perspective.

The far left in Ireland is far larger. The far right in Ireland is virtually non-existant outside of GOD and her 3 mates. Yes an eye should be kept but so should perspective.

Why would the far left need to storm leinster house when they already have people sitting in there?

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

I know a few lads that have confederate flags.

The far right in Ireland is virtually non-existant outside of GOD and her 3 mates.

I thought they were far left? Give everyone something for nothing kinda crowd?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Notice in Irish Independent this morning: "Security at Leinster House to be urgently reviewed in light of Washington riots"

Nonsense. A lot of us in Ireland have issues with our politicians but to be honest none of them(not many anyway) descend to the imbecilic level of Donald Trump who single handedly caused insurrection to break-out on Capital Hill. Fears that groups could target Leinster House in a similar fashion to what played out in Washington overnight are baseless. Keep the focus on Covid and concentrate Government resources on expediting more vaccines into the country. We are lagging way behind Britain and the rest of the world and this will inevitably delay our recovery and increase short term unemployment.

Just ludicrous, besides there all down the convention centre

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,148 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Rent a mob is always ready just wave a Che Guevara flag and they'll be along when they've had a soya based drink

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Rent a mob is always ready just wave a Che Guevara flag and they'll be along when they've had a soya based drink

Is it only left wing people who drink soya based products? Do right wingers only stick to basic coffee or tea? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Yester wrote: »
    I know a few lads that have confederate flags.

Cork GAA fans :)

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    The difference between the Capitol building in Washington and the Dail is that the Gardai are unlikely to take down the barriers and stand idly by as a mob streamed up to the doors......

There was a police officer shot and at least one attacker shot by police

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Why would the far left need to storm leinster house when they already have people sitting in there?

The point, Joey, is that you are oh so concerned about the far-right, that has no TD's, virtually no councilors, and next to no support, and rightly point out that the far left has sitting officials, so are far more powerful. Yet you view the far right as some huge threat. Ireland isn't America.

Members of the far left in Ireland have assaulted the Taoiseach, called for the nationalisation of large US MNC's and de-facto held a politician hostage in their own car. However do I view the far left as a massive threat to society? No, I don't. And as such, I don't obsess about them like you do the far right.

The biggest terrorist threat in Ireland (and as a result Europe btw) comes from far left groups, not far right ones.

The dail is a military facility and has armed military police inside. Gardai outside.

We did have our own security concerns before last week.

Capital hill police are akin to armed security and did very well considering what was going on. They protected the occupants first and foremost instead of what is just a building afterall. they get blamed when there's not a high body count but blamed when there is. People don't know what it is they actually want from us police it seems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

Overheal wrote: »
    There is no way to ascertain who in the mob had what. They had guns clearly drawn, in the ready position. You don't need much more warning than that. A gun is pointed at your face, you're in fight/flight, you don't need to be told twice that death is possible. Yet she chose to try and charge through the window of the door. Impossible to say she couldn't have had anything on her when they fired at her. People carried pipe bombs and molotov cocktails (that we know about) into the Capitol yesterday, and loaded concealed firearms. All things which are available or producible to the wrong extremist in Ireland, also. I thought the person who shot her was secret service but it was a plain dress capitol officer.

There will imaginably be a complete congressional and DOJ inquiry into the entire affair

This is the woman on video marching' before she got shot.
    https://twitter.com/B_Rich33NO/status/1347338691132403717

I don’t think she was going to kill anyone here. Agree, when you join a mob attempting to break in putting your life at risk. The police in America have
    real guns and they will open fire. Still think the officer had some time left to just wound her and he overreacted in the heat of the moment.

Fact remains there was a line of heavily armed police standing behind them all the time. From what I saw only 4 people were attempting to break down the door. Others were off to the side. The police officers performance was poor and the reaction time very slow to react. They had enough time to defuse the situation and get them to back away from the door and this would have not have occurred. That does not matter now, can't go back in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

She opens with "we're walking to the Capitol building in a mob".

That's pretty clear language that she's not expecting them to sit down in front of the building and sing Kumbya. She's expecting chaos and violence when they arrive.

Every shooting can be spliced and diced into what-ifs and should haves.

The mob should not have been allowed into the building. The riot police should have been driving them out of the building rather than standing and watching them. The officers behind the door perhaps should have fired a warning shot.

But that doesn't absolve the woman from blame. She should not have broken into the building. She should not have been trying to break in through those doors. She should not have ignored the warnings that they would open fire.

It all comes to down to what action was reasonable in the heat of the moment. And given the fact that the officer saw a violent mob about to breach the doors, a single shot fired at the person at the front of that mob, seems like a very reasonable reaction. Comments about shooting to wound are nonsense. Nobody, anywhere, fires "to wound".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Sure they dose us with fluoride here to keep us all chilled out, besides the idiots are already inside the government building here, so security is not the issue.....

Advertisement