Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Security at Leinster House to be urgently reviewed in light of Washington riots"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Everlong1

A few loony left knuckledraggers, ''inspired'' by their heroes in Greece at the time, tried to attack LH back in 2010.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ1DJUjt8y8&list=PL_Qg2-7mhaDbTVN4ULm3RzJKMGiU4SWdJ&index=47

• Registered Users Posts: 35,074 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This is the woman on video marching' before she got shot.

Three million plus people, eh?

Maybe the US needs to set up special schools for Right Wingers That Don't Count Too Good.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 16,345 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Rothko wrote: »
    There's a certain amount of Irish people who think they're American and seem to mindlessly copy everything they do. Just look at the anti-mask and anti-vax crowd.

Open a new donut outlet and place is jammed with cars cos they want to eat the donuts from Amerikay.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I really don't see the problem with this.

The scenes in the US should be forcing every country to, at the very least, review their current standards. Everyone likes to say it wouldn't happen here but all it takes is one group of nutcases on one day for that to go arseways.

What's the harm?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,640 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

A number of posts have been deleted, can we stick to the topic in the op please which is the security review of Leinster House

Discussing the recent events in the US as a basis for this, or to provide context, is fine but the thread has veered off into a tangent exclusively about US politics and there is already a thread for that in CA

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058140418

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Faugheen wrote: »
    I really don't see the problem with this.

The scenes in the US should be forcing every country to, at the very least, review their current standards. Everyone likes to say it wouldn't happen here but all it takes is one group of nutcases on one day for that to go arseways.

What's the harm?

Agreed, and we have more than our share of nutcases, many of whom have supporters in the Dail, where we are privileged to have anti-vaxxers, 9/11 conspiracists etc., making Congress look pretty mundane.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,834 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Rothko wrote: »
    There's a certain amount of Irish people who think they're American and seem to mindlessly copy everything they do. Just look at the anti-mask and anti-vax crowd.

Not to mention uses Z's instead of S's. These people don't just organise they organize!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

The Taoiseach was drinking cans in a public park a few months ago.

I think Leinster House will be alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Open a new donut outlet and place is jammed with cars cos they want to eat the donuts from Amerikay.

You've obs never been to D4, loike?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,451 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The Taoiseach was drinking cans in a public park a few months ago.

I think Leinster House will be alright.

:D

I mean you would hope leadership and the public are safe and happy around each other in public like that right? But that still shouldn't dismiss security concerns about the continuity of government. Emergencies will happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Overheal wrote: »
    :D

I mean you would hope leadership and the public are safe and happy around each other in public like that right? But that still shouldn't dismiss security concerns about the continuity of government. Emergencies will happen.

Speak for yourself. Michael Martin is not and will never be my 'leader'. His party has very little support. You seem to misunderstand that we live in a constitutional republic. Thanks. Note, I do not support storming Leinster House.

I wouldn't get your knickers in a twist over any risk of such an incident here, there is negligible risk of it. Your 'leaders' are safe enough, the public is too cowed and under-the-cosh. When the pandemic ends, we will return to working our asses off in an increasingly unaffordable state, brainwashed by consumerism, buying things we don't need, keeping up with the Joneses. That's modern Ireland - and it suits your 'leaders' fine to keep it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,169 ✭✭✭✭flazio

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Speak for yourself. Michael Martin is not and will never be my 'leader'. His party has very little support. You seem to misunderstand that we live in a constitutional republic. Thanks. Note, I do not support storming Leinster House.

I wouldn't get your knickers in a twist over any risk of such an incident here, there is negligible risk of it. Your 'leaders' are safe enough, the public is too cowed and under-the-cosh. When the pandemic ends, we will return to working our asses off in an increasingly unaffordable state, brainwashed by consumerism, buying things we don't need, keeping up with the Joneses. That's modern Ireland - and it suits your 'leaders' fine to keep it that way.
    You don't win the joint highest amount of seats in the Dáil with "very little support" (Ceann Comhairle doesn't count) Not a big fan of any of the big 3 myself but I do respect the results of the last general election as the only opinion poll that counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Looking at the first page of this thread, which started off the topic in a light-hearted and enjoyable manner, and to look at the last couple of pages, it is disappointing that the same one or two posters drags down the whole mood of the thread with the same style and substance that they use in other threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I used to work in Leinster House sometimes, to be fair there really is no security, a few fat hungover ushers in their 50s hanging around waiting for their next 45 minute tea break is all. And maybe a Garda at the front on their phone. If you wanted to go nuts in the place, a few angry blokes could easily go in and do whatever they wanted, I always used to think this when going in there.
    I'm not sure anyone could be bothered though, so that's security in itself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I used to work in Leinster House sometimes, to be fair there really is no security, a few fat hungover ushers in their 50s hanging around waiting for their next 45 minute tea break is all. And maybe a Garda at the front on their phone. If you wanted to go nuts in the place, a few angry blokes could easily go in and do whatever they wanted, I always used to think this when going in there.

There's a permanent army presence there-they have a barracks in the basement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Indeed. So far the far right in Ireland hasnt been burning potential DP centres or TDs cars or sending death threats to black people or beating up their oppenents violently with sticks. And nothing internationally either. They didnt kill people in Batley and Spen or Utoya or Christchurch. Nothing to see here.

Yes Joey, both the far right and far left do terrible things. Both can be as dangerous as eachother. It's not a competition. You put all your focus on one 'side', to near obsessive levels though. Only one group has sitting TD's in Ireland, and in some respects, let's hope it stays that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

And they say this is not like America.

Are Batley, Spen and Christchurch in Ireland now? News to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,074 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fears that groups could target Leinster House in a similar fashion to what played out in Washington overnight are baseless.

Nope, there are plenty of nutters out there - Gemma and her crew, National Party, Irexit etc. Now most of them hate each other as much or more than they hate everyone else, but if they all decided to band together they could cause a lot of disruption.
    Keep the focus on Covid and concentrate Government resources on expediting more vaccines into the country.

The EU is allocating deliveries of vaccine to each member state as they come in, in proportion to each state's population. There is nothing we or the EU can do to get the vaccine made any faster, you might as well ask the Irish government to throw its resources into getting PlayStation 5s into the hands of Irish customers more quickliy :rolleyes:
    We are lagging way behind Britain

I don't believe the UK's spin on this for a moment.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I definitely think we should up security, with the ever present threats from left wing groups who love invading buildings and the likes of the conspiracy-right in the US now joining in , its only a matter of time before the Sinn Fein Yellow Vest crowd try invade a building because not having a majority doesnt get them in to government

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I definitely think we should up security, with the ever present threats from left wing groups who love invading buildings and the likes of the conspiracy-right in the US now joining in , its only a matter of time before the Sinn Fein Yellow Vest crowd try invade a building because not having a majority doesnt get them in to government

Sinn Fein Yellow Vest?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

You could always invade as a troupe of clowns, something like the bank robbers in Point Break, and just sit there on the benches in full regalia among the TDs.

To be honest, any bench would do. Hiding in plain sight, as it were.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Sinn Fein Yellow Vest?

The two groups massively overlap and yellowvest irelands hq was the sinn fein shop on parnell street,

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The two groups massively overlap and yellowvest irelands hq was the sinn fein shop on parnell street,

Hilarious but not really true. They may have some supporters in common but otherwise they are very different. SF are pro migration and pro EU. The yellow vesters are anti both. The Yellow Vesters hate Sinn Fein and always have IFP speakers like Dolores Cahill, Ben Gilroy and Hermann Kelly as speakers. Yellow Vesters always encouraging groyping on SF social media. SF members took part in the Anti Fascist Action Ireland counter ptotests. As far as I know the website thing was all a hoax.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Granadino wrote: »
    Is it only left wing people who drink soya based products? Do right wingers only stick to basic coffee or tea? :confused:
    It's the opposite. It's the left wing people who are limited in their beverage choices.

Because proper tea is theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

Sinn Fein Yellow Vest?

Theres a massive overlap in support though.

SF have the left wing ala Pual Murphy with added emphasis on a United Ireland. Where those with good jobs are the enemy.

The Centre section which is Berties promises of Cut Taxes on everything while increasing spending on everything.

The right--- Whose Brits out manifesto has now evolved to everybody out who is not Irish. They ones who have been on the dole for 20 years through two booms and a recession but still manage to blame the foreigner for everything. These lads are the ones who provided a room for a lad on the run in the 80s or sold Easter lillies during the 90s.

Now while that's great for polling numbers, If SF ever get to lead a government it may cause problems. They cannot keep the three wings happy. Which is why during the election a United Ireland was not brought up too much but once the results came in it was up da ra

• Registered Users Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Three million plus people, eh?

Maybe the US needs to set up special schools for Right Wingers That Don't Count Too Good.

I'm no good at judging the size of crowds, Ted. But I'd say there's about seventeen million of them out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Hi, first off I want to say I'm not a student of political theory and I usually avoid political discussions because people tend to have deeply held prior beliefs and the ability to defend whatever they feel they need to.

Recently there were reports in national news papers of a facebook group with strong links to Sinn Fein (Called in fact Sinn Fein) that contained posts by supporters advocated the murder of political opponents. Similar language, perhaps to a smaller scale, as found from Trump supporters on the likes of Parler and Gab. People have done a lot of hand wringing over this; "We can't control what people says; it's only a small numbers; that's not officially endorsed by Sinn Fein etc" but it ignores the reporting that elected representatives of Sinn Fein where in the group and party staff had awareness of the group and apparently the ability change the standing rules.

While I accept it will be a tiny tiny minority of supporters who hold these extremist views, a larger number tolerate them and that is really where the issue is. I feel it is fair enough to judge a political party by their willingness to tolerate advocacy of political violence to achieve political aims. I've gone through my life and I've managed to avoid being part of any groupings of people who are racist, violent, sexist, hatful etc. I don't tolerate it in my personal or professional life, I don't see why I would ever give a pass to a political party for tolerating it either. It's not about left and right, its about right and wrong.

That is all.

flazio wrote: »
    Absolute nonsense. Firing to disable is always the intent of law enforcement fire arm bearers. Otherwise the paperwork is horrendous.

Well that's an out right lie

And yet you missed the armed soldiers wandering around

• Advertisement

tdf7187 wrote: »
    To be clear about something important, Ashli Babbitt was not a terrorist. She was an insurrectionist, but not a terrorist.

Biden and others, including their supporters right here on this very thread, are deliberately lying about that, and no one on the left, or even the center-left, should let the lie stand.

A terrorist is someone who inflicts terror on a civilian population to advance political, ideological, or religious goals. There were no civilians involved a couple of days ago, except for the rioters themselves.

This was an assault on the government, not the civilian population. The distinction is important. Labelling anyone inside the borders of the USA terrorists could be used to justify arbitrary drone strikes on anyone the President deems a “terrorist.” This is far more likely to be used against the left than against right-wingers.

That's absolutely not the definition of terrorism. Where did you getn it?

Advertisement