Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Security at Leinster House to be urgently reviewed in light of Washington riots"

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭accensi0n

That's absolutely not the definition of terrorism. Where did you getn it?

What is the definition so?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,452 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

accensi0n wrote: »
    What is the definition so?

18 US Code § 2331 (5)

(5)the term “domestic terrorism” means activities that—
    (A)involve acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State;
    (B)appear to be intended—
    (i)to intimidate or coerce a civilian population;
    (ii)to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or
    (iii)to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping;

• Registered Users Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

The talk about "the right" and/or the "alt right" in Ireland needs to be put into perspective.

The only political entity that meets the criteria for this type of description is the National Party who in last years General election received a total of 4,773 votes nationally which amounted to 0.2% of the overall votes cast.

The National Party have occasional rallies which are attended by an average of several dozen supporters. They are a pathetic excuse for a movement.

What else do we have in this country then? Gemma O'Doherty and John Waters and their buddies? Another rabble of nincompoops.

Compare Ireland with other jurisdictions in Europe who actually do have right wing extremist groups with popular groundswells of support and you begin to get an idea of how preposterous the idea of the Irish "alt right" storming Leinster House really is.

The regularity with which the spectre of the "alt right" is raised is puzzling and should be for anyone with an ounce of common sense.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Terrorism.. “a person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.” Oxford Languages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Wesekn.

Strumms wrote: »
    Terrorism.. “a person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.” Oxford Languages.

Sounds like most big governments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

tdf7187 wrote:
    True, FF/FG were around long before Trump came to prominence.

Don't forget SF/IRA since your not making distinctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Wantedbymany

Not sure it was trump who organised the raid check picture attached

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Wantedbymany

Don't forget SF/IRA since your not making distinctions.

Ff/fg ira is still active to this day only thing is they do not weild guns, they use medicines and doctors to get rid of problems,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Beasty wrote: »
    They just need to keep an eye on this forum. Any insurrection in Ireland is likely to be co-ordinated by one or two of our regulars....

:pac:

Are we allowed name them?

Or will that result in a ban?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,452 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Irish statute, Criminal Justice (Terrorist Offences) Act 2005

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2005/act/2/schedule/7/enacted/en/html
    Section 4 (Definitions for Part 2)

This defines terms for the purpose of Part 2. Key definitions include “terrorist activity” and “terrorist-linked activity”.

“Terrorist activity” is defined by reference to offences under our law which are committed in or outside the State with the intent of seriously intimidating a population, unduly compelling a Government or international organisation to perform or abstain from performing any act, or seriously destabilising or destroying the fundamental political, economic or social structures of a state or an international organisation. The specified offences for the purpose of the definition of terrorist activity are set out in Part 1 of Schedule 2 and comprise those offences under Irish law which correspond to the specified categories of intentional acts set out in Article 1 of the Framework Decision.

“Terrorist-linked activity” is similarly defined by reference to certain further specified offences under our law committed in or outside the State for the purpose of engaging in terrorist activity or in connection with the offences of membership and the new offence, as provided for in section 49 of this Act, of providing assistance to an unlawful organisation under the Offences against the State Act 1939 . The other specified offences are set out in Parts 2 and 3 of Schedule 2 and comprise those offences which correspond to specified categories of intentional acts set out in Article 3 of the Framework Decision.

“Terrorist group” is defined by reference to the Framework Decision, i.e. a structured group of more than two persons, established over a period of time and acting in concert to commit terrorist offences.

Section 5 (Terrorist Groups)

Section 5 makes provision for terrorist groups as defined in section 4 by way of application of the relevant provisions of the Offences against the State Acts, 1939 to 1998, to such groups for the purposes of Article 2 of the Framework Decision.

Subsection (1) provides that terrorist groups which engage in, promote, encourage or advocate the commission of terrorist activity in or outside the State will be unlawful organisations for the purposes of the Offences against the State Acts, 1939 to 1998, and section 3 of the Criminal Law Act 1976 .

Subsection (2) provides that the Offences against the State Acts, 1939 to 1998, and section 3 of the Criminal Law Act 1976 will apply to terrorist groups with any necessary modifications. Subsection (3) provides that subsections (1) and (2) are not limited by any other provision of the Act which refers to specific provisions of those Acts and subsection (4) provides that subsections (1) and (2) will apply whether the terrorist group is based in or outside the State.

Section 6 (Terrorist offences)

Section 6 makes provision for terrorist offences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

Manion wrote: »
    Hi,
    While I accept it will be a tiny tiny minority of supporters who hold these extremist views, a larger number tolerate them and that is really where the issue is. I feel it is fair enough to judge a political party by their willingness to tolerate advocacy of political violence to achieve political aims. I've gone through my life and I've managed to avoid being part of any groupings of people who are racist, violent, sexist, hatful etc. I don't tolerate it in my personal or professional life, I don't see why I would ever give a pass to a political party for tolerating it either. It's not about left and right, its about right and wrong.

That is all.

Did you read what Leo's buddies said about direct provision contracts?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The point, Joey, is that the far-right, has no TD's, virtually no councilors, and next to no support

Good.

Ff/fg ira is still active to this day only thing is they do not weild guns, they use medicines and doctors to get rid of problems,

The doctor is listening, do tell more.

Still listening
    Wait. You're talking to Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Nobody is going to hit Leinster house. I mean who the **** would bother ? ****ing nobodies!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Notice in Irish Independent this morning: "Security at Leinster House to be urgently reviewed in light of Washington riots"

Nonsense. A lot of us in Ireland have issues with our politicians but to be honest none of them(not many anyway) descend to the imbecilic level of Donald Trump who single handedly caused insurrection to break-out on Capital Hill. Fears that groups could target Leinster House in a similar fashion to what played out in Washington overnight are baseless. Keep the focus on Covid and concentrate Government resources on expediting more vaccines into the country. We are lagging way behind Britain and the rest of the world and this will inevitably delay our recovery and increase short term unemployment.

They have to secure it against the Irish people who watch too much social media and think Ireland and America has the exact same problems haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

There were some other 'one-man protests' here, but I remember two attempts that were more serious and more like what happened in Washington.

The first was in Nov 2010 ~50 protesters

The second was in September 2013... this time with ~100 broke off from a larger protest.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/special-garda-team-set-up-to-investigate-violent-clashes-during-dublin-protest-29592324.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Advertisement