Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Core i9/Gigabyte Z390/GTX1070 - first time builder

Options
  • 07-01-2021 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi Folks,
    Not much of a poster and a bit of a n00b at building PCs. I've had to pull apart laptops occasionally over the years for work, but finally getting around to building my first Desktop PC as a project with my teenager. Familiar story; growing out of consoles and needs a PC anyway for Zoom/School etc...
    Priority is actually "works first-time and for a long-time". Like for many, Covid-19 has made life/work busier so would like to avoid cycles of RMA-ing/repurchasing.

This is not going to be a serious gaming rig; so given the state of the GPU market when a 2nd-hand GTX1070 appeared on adverts within 5km of me I just went with that.
    I was able to get a deal on the MB and CPU also.

1. What is your budget? [€1500 but can stretch]
    2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming - but not serious gaming/School]
    3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes]
    4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Not so much, but the GTX1070 is bought and CPU/MB/Case on order]

Bought or already ordered;
    CPU - Intel Core i9-9900K
    Motherboard - Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ELITE ATX LGA1151
    Case - Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower
    Video Card - Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB

Considering;
    CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM
    Seems like Noctua/be quiet are the premium brands? This will be a bedroom PC so dB a factor. At 158mm I think I'll have 2 CM clearance in the case.

Memory - Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 (from komplett.ie)

Storage - Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD
    Seems like the 970 is the "go-to" SSD; appears a lot on youtube vids and I've got 2 in another PC; seems fine.

5. Do you need a monitor? [No. Have a 1080p 24"]
    6. Do you need peripherals? [No]
    7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Maybe - but just want a working PC first]
    8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card]
    9. When are you purchasing? [Over the next week or two]
    10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [Isolating; in Dublin]

Havn't really thought about PSU yet, or additional fans. The case should arrive with 2 120mm fans; one front and one rear. Should I be adding maybe 2 on top also?
    I'll have a few 2.5 inch drives I can add if/when I need additional storage.

It seems there's still no consensus yet on best/easiest/cheapest ways to buy so since I've never had a problem before with elara.ie and komplett.ie I'm happy enough to buy from them if possible.

Any thoughts/comments?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I'd suggest you consider an AIO cooler for the CPU. That case should take a 240/280 on the top, and a 360 on the front panel, but please research to confirm this, as it's from a quick reading of the Fractal design page for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

SSD is overkill - get literally any M.2 model. No need to pay the 50% Samsung tax.

9900K might overwhelm the Noctua alright unless you're ok with the fan going full blast.
    https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/oc3d_2020_cpu_cooler_roundup/9

So for quiet operation, you want a Noctua NH-D15 or a 240mm+ AIO. Arctic Liquid Freezer II line (not shown in link above) are very good - extra-thick radiator, a VRM fan to cool the motherboard & powerful yet quiet fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 bmoregan

Thanks for the responses. I havn't received the case yet; I'll wait until I get it in front of me before I order an AIO instead of the air-cooler.

Any concerns with the longevity of AIOs in general? Seemed to be a few that gunked-up and failed or was that just one brand?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

bmoregan wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses. I havn't received the case yet; I'll wait until I get it in front of me before I order an AIO instead of the air-cooler.

Any concerns with the longevity of AIOs in general? Seemed to be a few that gunked-up and failed or was that just one brand?

I had corsair's that lasted for years. It was one or two brands the majority are pretty decent. Ninja 5 (if you can fir it in) or a Fuma 2 might do the job also.

Advertisement