Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help for Parents with remote teaching - secondary students

Options
  • 07-01-2021 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭

A place for students and parents to be pointed in the right direction for help with remote learning

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

as a 6th year, this will be super helpful thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

English and History teacher here, happy to help anyone that needs it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Maths and Science (Chemistry) ask away! Also feel free to ask for study/organisation/planning tips, don't be feeling unnecessarily stressed.

Can I suggest we get thread title changed to include students? Or maybe post a link in LC forum? If it is still active?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Can I suggest we get thread title changed to include students? Or maybe post a link in LC forum? If it is still active?

If I knew how to change a title I would!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Smacruairi wrote: »

Contact mod maybe Necro or Beasty

I don't know either... so much for my helpful suggestion! : )

Moody_mona wrote: »
    Maths and Science (Chemistry) ask away! Also feel free to ask for study/organisation/planning tips, don't be feeling unnecessarily stressed.

(Maths HL)
    My Girl Friend was wondering if you had any PDF's on Complex numbers or any notes/tips to learn/simplify them? Would be greatly appreciated (HL)

She was also wondering if you had any of the same stuff for the chapter on Logs (Both HL) please and thankyou. :)

Also for me, any study tips to help with being able to learn a little more smarter than longer? I work hard but I don't really work smart and I end up learning stuff in 2 hours when it should take really an hour or so. Thanks again :D

TTLF wrote: »
    (Maths HL)

Also for me, any study tips to help with being able to learn a little more smarter than longer? I work hard but I don't really work smart and I end up learning stuff in 2 hours when it should take really an hour or so. Thanks again :D

Regarding study, the brain works best in 40 min blocks, that's the whole reason classes were that length. So set yourself a task to complete in 40 mins,20mins break, and then something different.
    Always start with thr thing you hate to study, as if u start with your faves, you'll be too tired to do the thing you hate at the end.
    Always write out notes in your own handwriting, the muscle memory alone helps you learn, but you also learn your own writing better rather than seeing Arial size 12 for the 15th time.
    Orally record yourself, or get a mate to, when studying English or languages, you'll remember it like a song that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,172 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Hi all.
    My boy is 1st year and I'm just looking over his maths book here now to give myself a refresher to be able to help him next week.
    I did a few questions myself to get my mind thinking back to secondary maths.
    If someone could answer this for me next week, I'd appreciate it.

I'm confused about brackets.
    I got the following answer
    3+2 (4) = 20 to a question while the book says 4 (3+2) = 20.
    Are both correct?

Another one..
    I put (4×5) + 3 = 23 but the book's answer is 4×5+3=23
    So, are my my brackets necessary and if not, are they still correct?

Thanks!

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement

Hi all.
    My boy is 1st year and I'm just looking over his maths book here now to give myself a refresher to be able to help him next week.
    I did a few questions myself to get my mind thinking back to secondary maths.
    If someone could answer this for me next week, I'd appreciate it.

I'm confused about brackets.
    I got the following answer
    3+2 (4) = 20 to a question while the book says 4 (3+2) = 20.
    Are both correct?

Another one..
    I put (4×5) + 3 = 23 but the book's answer is 4×5+3=23
    So, are my my brackets necessary and if not, are they still correct?

Thanks!

I'm not a maths teacher but...

You do whatever is in the brackets first, then whatever impacts the brackets, then the rest. So for your first example
    "3+2 (4) = 20", that would mean 2x4 first, then plus 3,so 11,so it's written wrong.the book is saying 4 (3+2), ie 3+2=5, then x4 =20.

Your second one is fine. But the book is saying you don't need brackets because of BOMDAS, you Di bracket stuff first, then multiplication, division, addition and subtraction in that order.
    Make sense?

I'm not a maths teacher but...

You do whatever is in the brackets first, then whatever impacts the brackets, then the rest. So for your first example
    "3+2 (4) = 20", that would mean 2x4 first, then plus 3,so 11,so it's written wrong.the book is saying 4 (3+2), ie 3+2=5, then x4 =20.

Your second one is fine. But the book is saying you don't need brackets because of BOMDAS, you Di bracket stuff first, then multiplication, division, addition and subtraction in that order.
    Make sense?

Thank you so much.. I understand your correction of the first one. The 2 is attached to the (4).

But in the second example the brackets are for separation purposes only. Ie there is no multiplication involved.

So my question is, are brackets used for multiplication AND separation/segregation purposes also if that makes sense.

Its question 22 I tried.

For example again in iv. I put (12×2) ÷ 6 = 4 as answer. Book says 12x2÷6=4
    Part v I put (4×3) - 2=10. Book leaves out brackets again.

Its question 22 I tried.

Brackets are used to multiple whatever is outside the brackets by whatever is inside. So 2(4+3) is 14. You can't use brackets to "separate out".
    So where you have said (12x2)÷6 =4,yeah that's actually correct, but the brackets are redundant, if u leave them out, 12x2÷6, according to BOMDAS, you do the multiplication first (12x2) and then you divide that by 6.

As I said your version is right and probably more visually logical, but by making you remove the brackets they're making sure you understand BOMDAS

Brackets are used to multiple whatever is outside the brackets by whatever is inside. So 2(4+3) is 14. You can't use brackets to "separate out".
    So where you have said (12x2)÷6 =4,yeah that's actually correct, but the brackets are redundant, if u leave them out, 12x2÷6, according to BOMDAS, you do the multiplication first (12x2) and then you divide that by 6.

As I said your version is right and probably more visually logical, but by making you remove the brackets they're making sure you understand BOMDAS

I appreciate your help on a Saturday night :)

Nothing else to do!!

Nothing else to do!!

Me neither, that's why I'm preemptive with what's coming on Monday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Its question 22 I tried.

Going to pm you a quick BEMDAS recap. Quality is low as I just scrubbed here on the iPad and shrank the quality for boards . Might help

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

This is a great idea! Happy for anyone to PM if needed (English and History)

(Maths HL)
    My Girl Friend was wondering if you had any PDF's on Complex numbers or any notes/tips to learn/simplify them? Would be greatly appreciated (HL)

She was also wondering if you had any of the same stuff for the chapter on Logs (Both HL) please and thankyou. :)

Hi,

There are fully worked solutions available in PDF form for Text and Tests anyways. Does she have those? With maths it really is practise practise practise. For HL she needs to be doing all of the questions in each exercise in her book and practicing the exam questions thoroughly once finished the topic. It’s slow but necessary

• Advertisement

Hi,

There are fully worked solutions available in PDF form for Text and Tests anyways. Does she have those? With maths it really is practise practise practise. For HL she needs to be doing all of the questions in each exercise in her book and practicing the exam questions thoroughly once finished the topic. It’s slow but necessary

She has been practising and doing grinds but maths is hard for her (however she refuses to drop since she's competitive) so she was just wondering if there were any other notes available to explain it since Text and Tests can be god awful at explaining sometimes, however I will tell her about the fully worked solutions PDF! is it anywhere particular?

Thankyou! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Just to add to this point slightly (no offense to Smacruairi, but in case it might be misinterpreted) - the multiplication comes before the division because you're reading it left to right - they're both equally "important" (both are done before addition and subtraction, but after brackets, for example). 12÷2x6 would be 36, whereas 12÷(2x6) would be 1. (That explains why you might see the rule called BODMAS instead, for example.)

She has been practising and doing grinds but maths is hard for her (however she refuses to drop since she's competitive) so she was just wondering if there were any other notes available to explain it since Text and Tests can be god awful at explaining sometimes, however I will tell her about the fully worked solutions PDF! is it anywhere particular?

Thankyou! :D

Yeah the worked solutions are far more detailed than the answers at the back of the book. Get her to sign up here and post anything she can’t figure out from the solutions. I’ll keep an eye and lend a hand on anything she can’t spot.

Really it is about figuring them out with support from the solutions if needed and then retrying it again to see can you recreate it without that support the next time

https://studyclix.blob.core.windows.net/static/content/file/attachments/4/43f80840-573a-4ecc-9d78-2b12ca28ba65.pdf

Advertisement