Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clipping Dog’s Nails

Options
  • 08-01-2021 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,776 ✭✭✭✭

Is it possible, without hurting the dog, to clip a curled dew claw nail?

Due to the last lockdown our dog went longer without grooming, got her done when it was lifted but only noticed yesterday one of her dew claw nails wasn’t cut.

I’ve looked online and it goes on about getting a particular dog nail clippers. The nail doesn’t appear to be hurting her but I’m worried it might start, if it’s not tackled that is. Can I just cut it with a regular scissors? I’d, obviously, only take a small bit off.

Any advice welcome.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Yes it is possible. Have you a picture of it? A dog nail clippers is much better. I find nail grinders great but with a curled nail you might have to clip it first. Some groomers are open only for welfare issues with a letter from your vet or you could get the vet to do it if you are very nervous!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,776 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Knine wrote: »
    Yes it is possible. Have you a picture of it? A dog nail clippers is much better. I find nail grinders great but with a curled nail you might have to clip it first. Some groomers are open only for welfare issues with a letter from your vet or you could get the vet to do it if you are very nervous!

I’ll see about getting a photo of it. If it’s not going to cause any issues for my dog, I’ve no problem clipping the nail with a normal, sturdy, scissors.

I just wanted to make sure there was no obvious reason why it shouldn’t be done. I’ll only be taking off a centimetre, or so, from the top. Will let the vet, or groomer, take the rest off when lockdown ends.

If a regular scissors is a major no-no, I’ve no problem giving the vet a shout or sorting it directly with the groomer. Just don’t want to be pushing it with what might be seen as an “unnecessary journey”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I’ll only be taking off a centimetre, or so, from the top. .

A cm is too much to clip off at once. You'll need to cut slivers off so you don't hit the quick and it could be painful for your dog to cut off that much at once. Also it can look like the quick isn't as far down as you think so best to cut off small slivers to be safe. A scissors mightn't be sharp enough depending on the size of your dog too?

I've had success with my grinder when my friend's dog had a nail that was curling around a touching the pad and got most of it down before trimming the last part with a nail clipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Spanishpoint

lol my dogs hate it

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

personally id log on to adverts and purchase a clippers, if you cant buy one in a pet supplies anywhere within your 5km
    would arrive next day and the correct tool for the job,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

I had to work really hard to get our Pom to allow me near them. First I muzzle trained her, lots of tiny yoghurt pots, then homemade peanut butter, now I use the fat free soft cheese on the end of her tiny Baskerville muzzle. Now she happily licks away while I do them. I can use the scissor type clips with her, but have to use the the other type with Mr C's thick black digger claws.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Grainnef93

I definitely wouldn't use a scissors. The last thing you want to do is give her a bad experience with nail clipping. You'll get a dog nail clippers for around 10€ or your groomer will do. It for next to nothing.

Be careful with a cheap nail clippers as they may not be sharp enough which won’t help matters if your dog doesn’t like getting them clipped. Try and get a red handled Millers Forge - they’re recommended in FB groups for nail clipping and it’s the first clippers Bailey has been ok (well ok-ish lol :p) with me using on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭jimf

cut little bits at a time

and when you put pressure on watch the dogs reaction there should be none

Also make sure you have styptic powder or even corn flour on hand to quickly stop the bleeding in case you do get the quick... which I did earlier ooops(!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

tk123 wrote: »
    Also make sure you have styptic powder or even corn flour on hand to quickly stop the bleeding in case you do get the quick... which I did earlier ooops(!)

Aw stop I'm squirming here;

LenWoods wrote: »
    Aw stop I'm squirming here;

:p .. it can look like a lot of blood(!) but the powder/flour will stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

Esmae stands on an old light box so I can see the quick, as for the scissor type clips, I use these for her because the Miller forge are to difficult on her tiny paws...just in case any one thought I actually used normal scissors...

539261.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Fugded

Since we moved to a house with no concrete in the yard our dogs nails keep growing! I never had to cut their nails before. Might try one of those clippers. Thanks for the pic

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Peanut butter or similar spread further up your arm can help with distraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

And also get you severely bitten if the dog was uncomfortable/nervous and you happen to cut too far. I agree it’s a great distraction but put it on a licky mat, have someone hold a spoon in front of them, even spread it on the wall or floor but I would really discourage anyone to put anything on their body that would mean the dogs teeth are in a close proximity!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

I use the grinder, works great with my dogs, they comfy with it and me too. Have a clippers too, but was a bit afraid to use it. Both of my dogs have black nails, so wasn't sure how far I can go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Fugded

Great thank you! I'll look into getting a grinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭gussieg

My. Dog hates getting her nails clipped, and has an extra dewclaw, so took her to the new vet office in town, the vet was young and I asked would she clip the nails. She cut the quick on one of dogs back nails and it's now healing sort of , do I have any comeback for the vets to make sure this is fixed/healed, cost me 50 euro, or should I just take dog to a different vet ? I am furious this happened and angry with myself for not just taking her to a good groomers, and no idea what to do now, she is even less likely to let me clip her from now on.

Advertisement