Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue: Changes to Online banking Service

Options
  • 08-01-2021 7:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

I am an Irish expat living in Vietnam. Thus, I have a Vietnamese phone number. However, BOI are requiring to send sms/security code to my phone for future online banking business. This will not work, as I have tried before and I cannot receive the sms code from Bank of Ireland to my Vietnamese number (it is open for international sms receiving). I use Google Authorisation and Authy apps for 2 step verification. Can these be utilised for this purpose?

I really need a fix around for this, as it is very important to keep my account open and for me to have access at all times. Under the current update about security, I will not have access to my money and account. Please advise me in regards to this situation.

A concerned customer,
    Aridion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

aridion wrote: »
    I am an Irish expat living in Vietnam. Thus, I have a Vietnamese phone number. However, BOI are requiring to send sms/security code to my phone for future online banking business. This will not work, as I have tried before and I cannot receive the sms code from Bank of Ireland to my Vietnamese number (it is open for international sms receiving). I use Google Authorisation and Authy apps for 2 step verification. Can these be utilised for this purpose?

I really need a fix around for this, as it is very important to keep my account open and for me to have access at all times. Under the current update about security, I will not have access to my money and account. Please advise me in regards to this situation.

A concerned customer,
    Aridion
    Hi Aridion, 

Thanks for getting in touch with us today. 

If the contact number you have is open to receive international SMS, you should have no difficulties receiving the codes. 

We would recommend contacting your mobile provider and explain to them the situation around not receive the 'short' code SMS and check availability on their side. 

I'm afraid it is necessary to have a mobile number connected to account that is open to receiving the SMS to update to our new App. It's also necessary for activation codes for new payees. 

Hoping the above helps, 

Many thanks
    Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭aridion

I return. The archaic use of a tel. number for online authorisations continues. 

Over the last few months and weeks (since returning to Ireland to resolve this major problem), I have spent hours on the phone with BOI customer service, been in-house at a bank, and contacted your FB page. My phone number abroad is open to receiving international sms, as I contacted the mobile provider I use about this issue. However, your bank still hasn't solved this very SIMPLE problem.

I cannot use my bank of Ireland debit card to pay for any online payments. I will need to pay quarantine accommodation, and flights to return to my work. This is absolutely unacceptable! I am a customer and expect my bank to ensure I have BASIC access to MY cash.

I have asked your bank to offer me an alternative way to verify online payments, and you can't/won't. Going through the elongated process of calling your 'customer support' lines has been unfruitful. Not very flexible in your customer approach, are you?

I now need to carry thousands of euros of cash around with me as I fly internationally, to return to my domicile and career. This is because of your ineptitude in taking care of your customers. I will also not be able to order food when I am in quarantine because of Bank of Ireland. Nice, isn't it?

As an Irish citizen, I am very very disappointed in your bank (14 per cent owned by the government as well...). Your inflexibility to cater for your expat customers by your entrapment of their funds at critical times is despicable. Not providing an alternative way to receive pass codes by email, fingerprint, or an authenticator app. for those that can't receive pass codes by sms is anachronistic at best, discriminatory in reality. I transfer money to my BOI account from my work abroad and there is no fraud nor malpractice involved, as I am sure your bank is fully aware. However, you still refuse to provide any basic customer service for my online payments.

A very distressed and disappointed customer.

I return. The archaic use of a tel. number for online authorisations continues. 

Over the last few months and weeks (since returning to Ireland to resolve this major problem), I have spent hours on the phone with BOI customer service, been in-house at a bank, and contacted your FB page. My phone number abroad is open to receiving international sms, as I contacted the mobile provider I use about this issue. However, your bank still hasn't solved this very SIMPLE problem.

I cannot use my bank of Ireland debit card to pay for any online payments. I will need to pay quarantine accommodation, and flights to return to my work. This is absolutely unacceptable! I am a customer and expect my bank to ensure I have BASIC access to MY cash.

I have asked your bank to offer me an alternative way to verify online payments, and you can't/won't. Going through the elongated process of calling your 'customer support' lines has been unfruitful. Not very flexible in your customer approach, are you?

I now need to carry thousands of euros of cash around with me as I fly internationally, to return to my domicile and career. This is because of your ineptitude in taking care of your customers. I will also not be able to order food when I am in quarantine because of Bank of Ireland. Nice, isn't it?

As an Irish citizen, I am very very disappointed in your bank (14 per cent owned by the government as well...). Your inflexibility to cater for your expat customers by your entrapment of their funds at critical times is despicable. Not providing an alternative way to receive pass codes by email, fingerprint, or an authenticator app. for those that can't receive pass codes by sms is anachronistic at best, discriminatory in reality. I transfer money to my BOI account from my work abroad and there is no fraud nor malpractice involved, as I am sure your bank is fully aware. However, you still refuse to provide any basic customer service for my online payments.

A very distressed and disappointed customer.
    Hi aridion

Thanks for checking back with us. 

As this has already been investigated for you, for a solution other than SMS you can call 0818200362 / 0035314606410 and order a PSK to use with online banking. This will also help you with authorising card payments when challenged by a retailer. I have included some links below with information relating to our PSK, using it with our App and also how to approve card payments. 

https://www.bankofireland.com/physical-security-key/

https://www.bankofireland.com/sca/#panel3

Hoping the above helps,

Many thanks
    Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭aridion

I called the given number and I have ordered a PSK. It is still an awfully archaic way to generate security on a debit account. I will have to wait 5-7 working days without access to my online finds. I won't be allowed to use the BOI app. on my phone, and i need to carry it around with me if I want to pay for anything online.

Hopefully this will allow access to my money for online transactions.

Thanks for your advice,
    Ari.

I called the given number and I have ordered a PSK. It is still an awfully archaic way to generate security on a debit account. I will have to wait 5-7 working days without access to my online finds. I won't be allowed to use the BOI app. on my phone, and i need to carry it around with me if I want to pay for anything online.

Hopefully this will allow access to my money for online transactions.

Thanks for your advice,
    Ari.
    Hi Ari, 

thanks for getting back to us. 

Happy to hear the PSK has been ordered for you. Sorry, it will take 5-7 business days to reach you in the post. 

If you have any further questions, feel free to check back in with us. 

Many thanks,
    Alison

• Advertisement
Advertisement