Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who tested positive, how are you feeling?

Comments

I don't know. The recent case in New Zealand came back from the UK, I think, done their two week isolation in a quarantine facility, tested negative twice while in quarantine and two days later after leaving quarantine, they developed symptoms. So I reckon there's a longer incubation period in some.

Guardian article says it was highly likely she got infected in the hotel. Also it's the South African variant. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/25/new-zealand-covid-case-appears-to-be-south-african-variant-officials-say

Most stores you see or hear are healthy people with no underlying health problems but are dieing and then there are people who actually have health problems or underlying conditions who get Covid but make it through it .
    They keep saying who are most at risk but seems the ones who are way down the list are the ones who end up in hospital.

It's like smoking - there are people who smoke 60 a day living to 95 and then young people who never smoked dying of lung cancer. These are outliers and you will always have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Most stores you see or hear are healthy people with no underlying health problems but are dieing and then there are people who actually have health problems or underlying conditions who get Covid but make it through it .
    They keep saying who are most at risk but seems the ones who are way down the list are the ones who end up in hospital.

I think young, healthy people dying from it are very rare.
    You probably have more chance of dying in a car crash this year tbh.

Its just that they dont release the stats so that young healthy people will obey the guidelines.
    If they released all of the stats, like what ages are in ICU, What ages recover from ICU, What ages die as well as if they had conditions and what conditions those are then the picture would be clearer about what anyones chances are should they get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I've noticed that this thread has gone very quiet. Which can only be a good thing, right?

I hope all who posted here are feeling much better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,675 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I think young, healthy people dying from it are very rare.
    You probably have more chance of dying in a car crash this year tbh.

Its just that they dont release the stats so that young healthy people will obey the guidelines.
    If they released all of the stats, like what ages are in ICU, What ages recover from ICU, What ages die as well as if they had conditions and what conditions those are then the picture would be clearer about what anyones chances are should they get it.

The ages of the people who die are released:

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/br/b-cdc/covid-19deathsandcasesseries20/

See table 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I had it early last year. I was asymptomatic. I haven’t noticed any problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,286 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

poisonated wrote: »
    I had it early last year. I was asymptomatic. I haven’t noticed any problems.

Were there any differences at all in how you felt before or after you were tested as positive? Do you know what blood type you are, is it O Group?

Were there any differences at all in how you felt before or after you were tested as positive? Do you know what blood type you are, is it O Group?

I did not know I had until I got an antibody test done. If I’m thinking of the right time that I had it. I did have a bit of a cold but that’s about it. I’m not sure of my blood type. Part of me was a bit relieved I had it as I had some antibodies to it and a sort of immunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I did not know I had until I got an antibody test done

Are they more reliable then they were in April? I was reading they were hit and miss

Also; can you say where you had it done and how much?

I got it done in the travel health clinic on Dawson street. I’m not sure of the price. My parents had covid too(I think I gave it to them...oops lol) and their antibody tests came back as positive so I’m fairly certain. I can’t say they are 100 percent accurate though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

Guardian article says it was highly likely she got infected in the hotel. Also it's the South African variant. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/25/new-zealand-covid-case-appears-to-be-south-african-variant-officials-say

Correct, and we now have 2 more cases from the same hotel. Hopefully it stays contained and we can keep enjoying summer

I just found out I’m o positive. Why do you ask?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,286 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I just found out I’m o positive. Why do you ask?

Apparently O is the best blood type to have against the virus. Not sure what I am, will need to get a kit to test it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Tested positive on the 29th Dec, sick until 7th Jan and then began to feel better. Loss of smell, tight chest, tiredness, severe headache and severe sinuitis.
    Didn`t affect my chest too much. As I was isolating in a bedroom for the duration I did't lie on the bed during the day and tried to keep moving.
    I watched CNN's Chris Cuomo and that was the advice he gave, keep moving, sit upright and do breathing exercises.
    Slight phlegm still in my throat which gives me a hoarse voice but thats about it.
    I would not like to get it again.
    My daughter was positive also with similar symptoms but she now has vertigo as an after effect of the virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

signostic wrote: »
    My daughter was positive also with similar symptoms but she now has vertigo as an after effect of the virus.

She should use Brandt Daroff exercises or the Epley Manoeuvre. Very simple to do and quite quickly treat many cases of vertigo. Labyrinthitis can be a lingering post viral thing that can cause vertigo and the manouevres sort it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Homelander

It's weird how people can experience so many different symptoms. I don't have a cough, sore throat or any of the other common markers, but really bad body aches which make it impossible to sleep. Day one it was in my legs, day two I felt much better, then last night it's suddnely in my back/neck, once again meaning I can't sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭ebayissues

If you have had covid a while ago and not anymore can you still pass it on?

Like a friend of had it over 6 months ago... Should I keep my distance, not go indoors...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

My husband who is a health care worker got it. Started with a cough, sore chest, temperature tiredness and swollen lips. It was mild enough. Rang work after positive test. They said he could go back to work after 10 days and he did today.

My son and I have to restrict our movements for 14 days. So he's back at work, still coughing, and we aren't allowed out till Monday. That doesn't make any sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Whitters22

happyday wrote: »
    My husband who is a health care worker got it. Started with a cough, sore chest, temperature tiredness and swollen lips. It was mild enough. Rang work after positive test. They said he could go back to work after 10 days and he did today.

My son and I have to restrict our movements for 14 days. So he's back at work, still coughing, and we aren't allowed out till Monday. That doesn't make any sense to me.

In order to go back after 10 days the last 5 must be symptom free so with a cough he should not have been asked back without another PCR test.

Whitters22 wrote: »
    In order to go back after 10 days the last 5 must be symptom free so with a cough he should not have been asked back without another PCR test.

He's still coughing but Occupational Health said to go back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Whitters22

Tested positive Monday as a close contact and have had relatively mild symptoms all week - a bit of a temperature and some aches. But have lost my smell this evening. I thought that was one of the first symptoms and to come so late is unusual?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Tested positive Monday as a close contact and have had relatively mild symptoms all week - a bit of a temperature and some aches. But have lost my smell this evening. I thought that was one of the first symptoms and to come so late is unusual?

I lost my sense of smell about 5 days in. My daughters smell and taste went just 1 day in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

On the text I got it just said you had to be 'fever-free' for the last 5 days, not symptom-free. I lost my taste/smell and they're still not fully back but didn't have to isolate past the 10 days.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Galadriel wrote: »
    On the text I got it just said you had to be 'fever-free' for the last 5 days, not symptom-free. I lost my taste/smell and they're still not fully back but didn't have to isolate past the 10 days.
    Yeah, the HSE patient information leaflet says:

Symptomatic & test positive.

Only stop self-isolation when BOTH of these apply to you:
    - You have had no fever for five days
    - It has been ten days since you first developed symptoms

Asymptomatic & test positive.

You must self-isolate for ten days from the day of your test.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Your husband is allowed out of self-isolation as he is no longer infectious.

You and your son could still be incubating the virus so that's why you need to restrict your movements for a further length of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

My husband who is a health care worker got it. Started with a cough, sore chest, temperature tiredness and swollen lips. It was mild enough. Rang work after a positive test. They said he could go back to work after 10 days and he did today.

I work in a nursing home too. I felt unwell the weekend of the 17, got a test on the 18, and results back on the 19 were positive. Work has been on to be three times about coming back as soon as my ten days were over. I explain to them I'm still not well. I assume your husband is working in a place like mine and need the staff but rushing people back will only burn them out. I still don't feel 100 percent and my partner is still unwell despite being past her ten days too. She tested positive the day after I did. My next rostered day is Tuesday, I see how I feel Monday, honestly money be the only reason for going back. Were struggling money-wise with reduced payment and I was off the week before my test due to stress, but no money from work or the government to help cover that week.

I finding it very hard. Still not fully well and upset that I passed it on to my partner. She is still very tired and it's due to go back to work Wednesday. I hope there no long-term effect on her health from this, as it would be my fault.

Also had a bad experience today in Lidl. First time out really since my isolation period. Three teenagers on top of me while putting my items on the converter belt. I asked them to step back and they laughed and sneered. Their mask not on fully either.
    My items were coming through after being scanned and packing them up and they were on top of me again. I ask them to step back again and started shouting at me, the security guard came over and one of them went on about "covid not being real". I live in a rough area and it was dark. I was worried about going to my car as lots of problems with youths and knife crime, or they would see my car and attack it later as payback.
    I went out later in the evening in the hopes of not as many people around. But of course, everywhere packed and on top of each other. Maybe just in this area where I live in but people just seem to have no sense here about covid or most things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

roashter wrote: »
    In my mid 40s and my symptoms started Wednesday -cold/flu with a bad headache and this persisted for a few days.
    Had test on Friday 14:30. It was my 2nd time getting test and while the nose swab is uncomfortable it was not as bad as first time.
    Text message Saturday night 21:00 to confirm positive result.

So at moment now I have cold/flu like symptoms, shortness of breath (just going up the stairs), and feel quite fatigued. I'm taking paracetamol.
    I am going to take a few days off work (thankfully still working and able to work from home), as I don't think I'd be able to do a full days work and feel drained.
    I'll need to get a sick note from GP but not sure how long to request for. I'm guessing just a few days, but I don't want to come back to work and then find I'm shattered and regret not taking longer off.
    Anyone have anything similar to this scenario?

Take your two weeks off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭hurikane

Is the testing a 24 hour operation? What about the results is that 24 hour? Do they send out messages in the middle of the night?

hurikane wrote: »
    Is the testing a 24 hour operation? What about the results is that 24 hour? Do they send out messages in the middle of the night?

I got a test the same day I requested it from my GP. The results were texted to me the following day. They said they would prioritise my test results because I work in education.

I didn't get any messages in the middle of the night. Why do you ask that?

• Advertisement

I think it might be helpful if you state your age - and whether you have any underlying issues, including being overweight or obese.

That way, it puts your case in some context and perspective.

Advertisement