Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zwift app for Firestick/Fire tv

Options
  • 08-01-2021 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

I’ve tried unsuccessfully following some recommendations online to side load the zwift app on my fire tv. Has anyone had success ? I can go the wired hdmi laptop to tv way of course but it’s another drain on the already limited WiFi in the shed. Any recommendations gratefully received as there’s nothing of use on zwift forums or from what I can see online.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Don't think the Firestick is capable. I tried to sideload zwift to an android box, and I could load it, but it would fall over every time when opening it on the "verifying download". I gave up and got AppleTV.

Incidentally, why would it matter what zwift was running on regarding the WiFi? Fire stick would still need internet? fwiw part of my lockdown upgrade was hardwire to my shed, and then I now run AppleTV, Fire Stick hardwired from a second router.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Your firestick is connecting to the very same wifi. Not going to help there.

Make sure the laptop is connecting to the 2.4 ghz band if out in the shed (the 5ghz might not get there) and switch things nearer the router to the 5ghz band if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Don't think the Firestick is capable.

+1

Its a super low power device, doubt it has anywhere near the GPU grunt.

I was more disappointed in zwift regarding the android box - better specs than the phone that Zwift would allow Google Play download for (which really wasn't up to the big events when it came to it). Anyway, AppleTV unless you want the best resolution of a gaming pc (and the associated price!).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Apple tv plus get the TP links adaptor wif extender kit mentioned elsewhere,this will solve your issues.

I've only cost you more money but the above have helped my experience with Zwift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Thanks all. I’m not spending another penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Does the Apple TV work well with zwift for anyone that's tried?

Running it nearly daily for nearly 11 months now, I've had three issues the whole time. Twice it's been slow to log on after a zwift update. The third was the AppleTV box did an Apple update mid race, which was arguably user error, as I didn't realise it defaulted to "automatic updates".

I had more issues in a few weeks casting an android phone.

Most "issues" people have and blame on zwift are their own device (always during the large events) or their own internet connection (when they end up solo).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You can mirror the screen of the Zwift app running on you phone to the FireTV stick.

Sounds good, and the zwift app can install directly onto the apple tv? Thinking of geting one, would you recommend?

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    You can mirror the screen of the Zwift app running on you phone to the FireTV stick.

Yeah just wondered if there would be much lag, can try and see i guess.

Yes, zwift app is available on it from the appstore. And RGT. And Rouvy.

About all bad I can say about it from a user point of view is 2 bluetooth connection limit (My turbo connects cadence/ power/ controllability on the same channel, so doesn't impact me), that it's bluetooth only, and the remote takes getting used to.

I'm definitely not an Apple fanboy (the only other apple device in the household is a school ipad), but it's miles more stable than casting an android phone for me.

As to whether it's worth it, that's personal I think. I've enjoyed doing events and races, but for training I still prefer TrainerRoad (not on AppleTV). Since early in lockdown last year, I used it to replace outdoor spins during the 2km, and enjoyed some events and races. Before lockdown, I was happy with TrainerRoad and netflix/ spotify for indoor training if the weather was too rubbish to head out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭dahat

zweton wrote: »
    Sounds good, and the zwift app can install directly onto the apple tv? Thinking of geting one, would you recommend?

Yep, it just works everytime.

cool thanks

Advertisement