Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until March/April? (part 4) **Mod warning in OP 22/01**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

That would not be a good move. Too early to open yet

Agreed, we really have to get our number down. But I would not put it past her, as she has egg on her face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Wombatman wrote: »
    The whole 'schools are safe' mantra this is REALLY getting on my nerves at this stage.

Schools may have been safe at one time, but nobody, not even NPHET, would suggest they are currently safe. No environment, where large groups of people are gathered, is safe at present. Even the dogs on the street know that.

The schools are safe message really needs to be called out because it dangerous and utterly disingenuous.

One of the aspects of this which I find really frustrating is that in this drive of schools are safe you have advocacy groups such as down syndrome Ireland calling for special schools to be reopened while simultaneously withdrawing their 1:1 support citing the need to protect staff and users during this pandemic. The disconnect is astounding. This replicated across the sector in relation to 1:1 supports. crazy stuff .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

khalessi wrote: »
    Agreed, we really have to get our number down. But I would not put it past her, as she has egg on her face.

I think you find parents will take action. Before xmas I believed it was safe and good for the kids to be in school. Right now the env is not right for teachers or kids.

We did well to get sept to dec, we can manage two months at home and see what happens then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

I think you find parents will take action. Before xmas I believed it was safe and good for the kids to be in school. Right now the env is not right for teachers or kids.

We did well to get sept to dec, we can manage two months at home and see what happens then

I really think the numbers just need to be continually monitored. I was holding my breath here for the Christmas/New Year aftermath but the numbers seem to have fallen off a cliff in the last week- fingers crossed that will continue. Leaks are indicating that lockdown will continue for another few weeks, but with primary schools and daycare fully reopened- we'll know tonight for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Lillyfae wrote: »
    I really think the numbers just need to be continually monitored. I was holding my breath here for the Christmas/New Year aftermath but the numbers seem to have fallen off a cliff in the last week- fingers crossed that will continue. Leaks are indicating that lockdown will continue for another few weeks, but with primary schools and daycare fully reopened- we'll know tonight for sure.

What will we know tonight? Is there some kind of announcement due? Genuine question - I haven't been able to keep abreast of the news in the last 3 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    What will we know tonight? Is there some kind of announcement due? Genuine question - I haven't been able to keep abreast of the news in the last 3 days

I think that Poster Lilleyfae is not based in Ireland - maybe Holland or Belgium??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Bananaleaf wrote: »

Sorry, I’m not in Ireland, should have been clearer :P

SusanC10 wrote: »
    I think that Poster Lilleyfae is not based in Ireland - maybe Holland or Belgium??

Ah ok, I think you are right. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Hold My Hand

Technology issues this morning made me want to throw the laptop out the window! Went for a 20 mins walk and came back to find the children had submitted the cutest responses to the different activities. I had welcomed them back on a video clip with my dog and they all wanted to talk to her! Think she could be a better incentive than stickers!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭hesaidshesaid

Technology issues this morning made me want to throw the laptop out the window! Went for a 20 mins walk and came back to find the children had submitted the cutest responses to the different activities. I had welcomed them back on a video clip with my dog and they all wanted to talk to her! Think she could be a better incentive than stickers!

Best incentive ever!

Are you using Seesaw? We've just started with it and so far I really like it. We asked the 6th classes for their 3 New Year's Resolutions, the answers were gorgeous. Great hope for the next generation!

Meanwhile in technology I had 5 calls from a poor SNA who can't get any sound on her Zoom. I've never encountered this, all advice welcome...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

Parents were to collect children's books today. The amount that couldn't come because they were isolating at home.
    We would be been riddled with it in our school had we opened on the 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

Meanwhile in technology I had 5 calls from a poor SNA who can't get any sound on her Zoom. I've never encountered this, all advice welcome...

Sometimes a separate window pops up and you have to click something about joining with computer audio. Could it be that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Random sample

Best incentive ever!

Are you using Seesaw? We've just started with it and so far I really like it. We asked the 6th classes for their 3 New Year's Resolutions, the answers were gorgeous. Great hope for the next generation!

Could it be an old laptop with no microphone?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

That would not be a good move. Too early to open yet

Might be opening earlier at this rate.

Parents were to collect children's books today. The amount that couldn't come because they were isolating at home.
    We would be been riddled with it in our school had we opened on the 6th.

Did they all ring to say they were isolating? I know I can't collect the books but that's because I'm at work and the two hour morning slot one day this week isn't something I can manage to be there for.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Locotastic wrote: »
    Might be opening earlier at this rate.

At what rate? Case numbers?

Case numbers are thankfully falling but the hospital system is on the verge of crisis and that is what will inform decisions on reopening.

Case numbers are thankfully falling but the hospital system is on the verge of crisis and that is what will inform decisions on reopening.

Think 2500 cases was the limit we were given for schools to close. Cases dropping well now, at least there's hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Think 2500 cases was the limit we were given for schools to close. Cases dropping well now, at least there's hope.

Think that was an arbitrary figure plucked from the air by someone.

It's all about the health system and the pressures thereon.

Best incentive ever!

Ask them if they (or their kids maybe) have a gaming headset with a mic in the house, it will work fine on zoom as a quick alternative.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Remember that as the cases are dropping, there isn't much contact tracing/testing going on, it's just isolating for 2 weeks isn't it? So the real number is probably higher. I think swab results are meant to be the better indicator, and hospital admissions of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Remember that as the cases are dropping, there isn't much contact tracing/testing going on, it's just isolating for 2 weeks isn't it? So the real number is probably higher. I think swab results are meant to be the better indicator, and hospital admissions of course.

We will hardly be sent back to the classroom when testing and tracing isn't up and running will we?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    We will hardly be sent back to the classroom when testing and tracing isn't up and running will we?

At this stage nothing would or will surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

At this stage nothing would or will surprise me.

That is true! But God that would be a disaster. Wouldnt you think they'd er on the side of caution going forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

That is true! But God that would be a disaster. Wouldnt you think they'd er on the side of caution going forward?

nope they will err on sde of proviing they are right, the fact NF thought she could reopen LC and SEN at these numbers shows that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

We are talking about Norma. She will try and force some version of onsite schooling to start again soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Well Norma just tried it on, didn't she? Insanity.

I find it tremendously amusing (in a frustrating, tear-my-hair-out kind of a way) how some people can put almost any kind of spin on the numbers, if it suits their argument.

Case numbers are sky-high and we are testing more- I feel that we are in trouble!
    Of course they look high, the positivity rate makes it look that way because we are hardly testing

Case numbers are still sky-high and we are testing more- we are in trouble?
    Ah no, case numbers are high, but we have hardly any deaths.

Numbers of deaths are increasing - we are in trouble?
    Nah, it just got into a nursing home, that's all. It's the community transmission you need to be looking for.

Community transmission is rising - we are in trouble now surely?
    Oh silly Billy, the hospitalisations are steady - we're managing grand! When the ICU gets out of hand, then you know you're in trouble.

ICU filling up fast guys - I think we might be in trouble?
    Pfft, did you see how low our case numbers are going?

not one poster on mind when I say this but you don't have to spend too long in the general Covid thread to get a feel for it.

Isn’t there a mute button on Zoom?[/QUOTE]
    KatW4 wrote: »
    Sometimes a separate window pops up and you have to click something about joining with computer audio. Could it be that?
    Could it be an old laptop with no microphone?
    Ask them if they (or their kids maybe) have a gaming headset with a mic in the house, it will work fine on zoom as a quick alternative.

Thanks all for the suggestions. She's an older lady, tech is not her friend. I'll contact her tomorrow and see if they work.

I think lack of testing and tracing will inevitably lead to lower numbers, out will come Norma with 'schools are safe, inspectors will support schools, we have assurances contact tracing will continue in schools, we have had ongoing interaction with the education partners....' and boom! Feb 1st we will all be back in school with a bang and the 'private house' case numbers will skyrocket again.

I would much much prefer to do my job in school rather than online but I have absolutely zero faith that the health of school staff, and possibly even that of the children, will be at the forefront of the decision-makers' minds.

Since schools reopened things seem to have gone roughly in 2 month cycles. Sept and Oct ok, end of Oct, level 5. Nov and Dec were worse with many unreported school outbreaks and schools forced to reopen with inadequate staff and multiple cases, but again, end of Dec, level 5. If we go back Feb 1st, are we looking at another closure in April? God it's never-ending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

wont be back til after easter i would say

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement