Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until March/April? (part 4) **Mod warning in OP 22/01**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

I'm not sure my kids are going to school until we know more about the new strain to start, and not before WE their parents think it's safe enough. Luckily we are in a position to make these decisions ourselves. It's hard on them to miss the craic in school though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Hold My Hand

I’d prefer to be in school but can’t see us being back till after St. Patrick’s Day at the earliest. The numbers reported are only tipping the iceberg (close contacts not automatically being tested) and unlike the first lockdown, I know of so many having the virus, many of these have wrapped themselves in cotton wool for the last year! As my mother remarked, if x has it, we’ll all get it! Going to throw myself into online teaching and try to make it as interesting as possible. I’m going to celebrate the little wins ... me not throwing the laptop out the window, my doggie not barking during a video call, etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

Close contacts are still being told to isolate for 14 days, so once the majority of them do as they should then it should still reduce the transmission the same way a positive test would have.

Yes case numbers will be less than accurate but this month is a mess anyway with reporting.

Once the cases and capacity stabilise they will have contact tracing back again, there will be some better days to come very soon I think.

Some posters thinking it will be April before schools open! Sure they'd be nearly closed longer than last time in that case and that won't be allowed to happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

Locotastic wrote: »
    Did they all ring to say they were isolating? I know I can't collect the books but that's because I'm at work and the two hour morning slot one day this week isn't something I can manage to be there for.

No , like you some were working and others just didn't turn up with no explanation but there was a large number of calls/texts to school about the books and the food parcels and we were told about a lot of cases during these conversations.

Considering since sept we managed to only have 1 confirmed case in a classroom, anything higher than 1 is a huge jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Close contacts are still being told to isolate for 14 days, so once the majority of them do as they should then it should still reduce the transmission the same way a positive test would have.

Yes case numbers will be less than accurate but this month is a mess anyway with reporting.

Once the cases and capacity stabilise they will have contact tracing back again, there will be some better days to come very soon I think.

Some posters thinking it will be April before schools open! Sure they'd be nearly closed longer than last time in that case and that won't be allowed to happen again.

I've overheard people talking in the supermarket about how 'x' in the house/family treated positive a few days ago but that they only leave the house for shopping now. People are openly ignoring request/requirement to stay out when they are close contacts,

• Advertisement

No , like you some were working and others just didn't turn up with no explanation but there was a large number of calls/texts to school about the books and the food parcels and we were told about a lot of cases during these conversations.

Considering since sept we managed to only have 1 confirmed case in a classroom, anything higher than 1 is a huge jump.

4 kids in my class tested positive during the Christmas Holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

we wont be back before paddys day certainly. Need to cancel LC now, how on earth do they hope to do a traditional LC?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Newbie20

I've overheard people talking in the supermarket about how 'x' in the house/family treated positive a few days ago but that they only leave the house for shopping now. People are openly ignoring request/requirement to stay out when they are close contacts,

Yeah a load of this going on. Some people are just stupid. This is where the not testing close contacts leads to trouble. Many close contacts will just presume they don’t actually have it if they don’t have the positive test to prove it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

So freaking tired. Finally switching off for the night now. Live classes were nice in some ways though stressful. Nice to see all the students and their faces having been behind masks and bundled up against the cold. Nice to see them warm and safe and almost all online for class. Stressful with switching share tab not working in meet and glitching out, tried videoing my hand writing maths in the meet writing and it was illegible. But that will get better.

Hundreds of emails looking for ICT support for parents and students. Prioritising the critical ones (google clsssroom or google meet not working) and everything else is just going to take time.

Then at 930 I remembered I hadn’t filled in the Christmas reports. They’re not done but they’re closer to being done. And I’m completely cooked. Tomorrow is another day zzzzzz

So freaking tired. Finally switching off for the night now. Live classes were nice in some ways though stressful. Nice to see all the students and their faces having been behind masks and bundled up against the cold. Nice to see them warm and safe and almost all online for class. Stressful with switching share tab not working in meet and glitching out, tried videoing my hand writing maths in the meet writing and it was illegible. But that will get better.

Hundreds of emails looking for ICT support for parents and students. Prioritising the critical ones (google clsssroom or google meet not working) and everything else is just going to take time.

Then at 930 I remembered I hadn’t filled in the Christmas reports. They’re not done but they’re closer to being done. And I’m completely cooked. Tomorrow is another day zzzzzz

We had a chat this evening in our house and agreed that the table needs to be cleared of school books by 4pm and laptops need to be put under the stairs by 5pm. Anything not done will get done the following day. We both agreed that what we had done over the past week isn't sustainable even for the current three week period.

I've one house where for some reason they cannot attach files to submit work back to me via Google classroom. They zoomed me and shared their screen and I don't understand why it won't as they are doing what they should be.

Another where they can submit but I can't return as it gives me an error when I try to.

• Advertisement

We had a chat this evening in our house and agreed that the table needs to be cleared of school books by 4pm and laptops need to be put under the stairs by 5pm. Anything not done will get done the following day. We both agreed that what we had done over the past week isn't sustainable even for the current three week period.

I've one house where for some reason they cannot attach files to submit work back to me via Google classroom. They zoomed me and shared their screen and I don't understand why it won't as they are doing what they should be.

Another where they can submit but I can't return as it gives me an error when I try to.

Yeah, today and yesterday were exceptions rather than the rule I hope. Boundaries needed and it would be hypocritical of me to continue like this indefinitely considering I’ve had to bash them into my husband over the last two years in order to stop us all going nuts

What device are they using? And what error is coming up?

A few that jump to mind
    1. Internet connection? If it’s slow then you really do have to wait for it to attach
    2. Age of the device. Classroom struggles a bit on some older devices
    3. Update for classroom needed?
    4. Is there space on the device? This is relevant if they are trying to share from another app into classroom I’ve noticed

Yeah, today and yesterday were exceptions rather than the rule I hope. Boundaries needed and it would be hypocritical of me to continue like this indefinitely considering I’ve had to bash them into my husband over the last two years in order to stop us all going nuts

What device are they using? And what error is coming up?

A few that jump to mind
    1. Internet connection? If it’s slow then you really do have to wait for it to attach
    2. Age of the device. Classroom struggles a bit on some older devices
    3. Update for classroom needed?
    4. Is there space on the device? This is relevant if they are trying to share from another app into classroom I’ve noticed

I'll check with them tomorrow what their setup is.

Have to say on the whole my group are pretty self sufficient. Well able to access and submit stuff. Well able to record audio and/or video and submit it back to me. Fair few taking the chance to type stuff rather than writing. Far quicker for some of them but I'm making them submit one written thing a day to keep their handwriting up to scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭PeterPan92

Speaking to a lot of teachers in my school, there are 2 realms of thought.

1. We will be back after February midterm.

2. Teachers will be expected to be in school from February 1st, having to live stream for x hours a day.

It's all about optics. Government need to look like they aren't letting teachers get away with "doing nothing". The vocal minority giving out will definitely sway them to micromanage us and force teachers into school buildings.

As an aside anyone voice tired? I haven’t been talking for extended periods and sitting down I’m guessing my posture isn’t as good as it should be. I need to make sure I have enough fluids at the desk tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

We are talking about Norma. She will try and force some version of onsite schooling to start again soon.

But she has to. It's her job to ensure the children are not discarded in all this.
    I know it's been discussed here but we have a hierarchy or significance as to what can and can't take place as numbers fall.
    Children being in full time education is near the top of that list and had been.
    The government are going to have to prioritise children back in their class and teachers up the vaccine list.

teachers up the vaccine list.

The unions have tentatively broached this and were told not to go there. The list order is not for changing.

PeterPan92 wrote: »
    Speaking to a lot of teachers in my school, there are 2 realms of thought.

1. We will be back after February midterm.

2. Teachers will be expected to be in school from February 1st, having to live stream for x hours a day.

It's all about optics. Government need to look like they aren't letting teachers get away with "doing nothing". The vocal minority giving out will definitely sway them to micromanage us and force teachers into school buildings.

Well I can safely say that the broadband i have at home is far superior and more stable than the connection at school.
    Agree re the optics. Gotta slap down those lazy teachers is growing narrative from a small but noisy minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Murple

I was just reading an article about Covid numbers and noticed this:

“In the week to 9 January, there were 18 private house/family outbreaks and just two private house/general outbreaks.

It compares with 624 private house/family outbreaks seven weeks ago.”

Now that really surprises me. 7 weeks ago would have been the start of December. What could be different between a week at the start of December and the week to the 9th of January? Hmmmm, let me think...
    Well now in the week to the 9th of January, schools had been closed for over a week, almost 2 in fact. But that would mean that private house/family outbreaks were much higher when schools were open... curiouser and curiouser.
    One would almost think that some, maybe most, of these ‘family outbreaks’ might actually be originating in schools... but that’s a ridiculous notion because schools are safe places.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

I think it’s going much better than last March which is testament to the work schools have put in with little or no support or guidance from the Dept of Education .
    Obviously in school is better BUT is in school this year that much better ?
    Masks, social distancing, constant sanitizing , cold rooms , no extra curr?
    I don’t know now. I’d say a lot of students may be happier with this for the short term .
    I am aware of course that it doesn’t suit all especially special classes .
    However I do think there are more positives this time around .
    And from what I’ve heard in our school community the health system would have broken with the inevitable increase if schools were back. Or go back to soon ........

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

km79 wrote: »
    I think it’s going much better than last March which is testament to the work schools have put in with little or no support or guidance from the Dept of Education.

I don’t know now. I’d say a lot of students may be happier with this for the short term .

However I do think there are more positives this time around..

Not in my experience or that of pretty much anyone else I know homeschooling at present.

The students are fed up and whatever novelty existed last March is well and truly gone. They don't seem to be motivated at all and I can't say I blame them (or anyone at this stage).

And as far as special need students are concerned for many their entire supports are no longer available yet again.

The schools will most likely be opened as a priority, anyone thinking this will go on until after February or calling for the exams to be cancelled needs to consider the real possibility of being back at school in 3 weeks time.

The current set up is not sustainable and some children are being hampered greatly as a result.

Students are certainly not happier and entire households are at breaking point, the fallout from this will be huge which is why it won't be allowed to drag on longer than absolutely necessary.

• Advertisement

Not in my experience or that of pretty much anyone else I know homeschooling at present.

The students are fed up and whatever novelty existed last March is well and truly gone. They don't seem to be motivated at all and I can't say I blame them (or anyone at this stage).

And as far as special need students are concerned for many their entire supports are no longer available yet again.

The schools will most likely be opened as a priority, anyone thinking this will go on until after February or calling for the exams to be cancelled needs to consider the real possibility of being back at school in 3 weeks time.

The current set up is not sustainable and some children are being hampered greatly as a result.

Students are certainly not happier and entire households are at breaking point, the fallout from this will be huge which is why it won't be allowed to drag on longer than absolutely necessary.

Funny, myself and my Mrs were talking about this over dinner last night. Both of s agree that there is a sea change in the attitudes on display this time. Know we are only starting day 3 but the attitude, application and engagement from our students is far better this time.

We both put it down to the fact that it is earlier in the year, so everyone knows that we will be back in the school building at some stage in the near future. Personally speaking comparing last year and this year is like night and day. Majority of last years parents didn't see the point of engaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

The unions have tentatively broached this and were told not to go there. The list order is not for changing.

are teachers no. 6 on the list i.e. key workers? does anyone know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

has the minister suggested in her recent letter to parents that she is going to start evaluating online learning efficiencies

combat14 wrote: »
    has the minister suggested in her recent letter to parents that she is going to start evaluating online learning efficiencies

Yes, inspections are to take place place.

She is shredding any sense of trust between teachers and the DES. We were told at thr start of the year that their wouldn't be any inspections this school year.

As a group we are number 11. Unless you fall into one of the earlier categories then you'll have to wait. We provide a key/essential service but are not considered key or essential workers as per the various documents.

For some reason this came up on OffTheBall sports programme on Newstalk last night and they couldn't understand how education was ranked so low on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Panga

Teachers are 11 on the list of 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

As a group we are number 11. Unless you fall into one of the earlier categories then you'll have to wait. We provide a key/essential service but are not considered key or essential workers as per the various documents.

For some reason this came up on OffTheBall sports programme on Newstalk last night and they couldn't understand how education was ranked so low on the list.

THat was probably related to the news article in the Irish Examiner yesterday asking for Gaa players to be moved up the list as they provide entertainment or some such.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40205159.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Can I ask you if you have contacted your local representatives, Norma, and in particular Madigan, in relation to the lack of a plan b for all you mention.

You seem, quite rightly, upset at the idea that it was either all out, or all in, with no more nuanced plan. The fact that supports from the DES were highly lacking, as discussed in this thread all the way back to August - we had people suggesting the renting of marquees for January learning remember - have you made your discontent known to them, and have you received a response?

I ask because you can see the reaction from the DES when the Asti quite rightly pointed out the nonsense around "schools are safe" as a motto - thsts just very basic health and safety and they are still getting snarky remarks from Norma. As a parent, have you expressed your dissatisfaction through formal channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Lockdown here has been extended until the 9th of February. Schools/ daycare to continue as they have been for exam classes, practical classes, vulnerable children (including SEN) and the children of essential workers. The plan is to reopen schools fully on the 25th of January, but only if the numbers allow. They're still waiting for the consequences of an outbreak of the UK variant in a town close to Rotterdam, as well as evidence that it's more contagious in children, and they plan to start mass testing in a couple of schools there as a pilot when they eventually do go back.

I'm feeling like we might be out of the woods here between the numbers dropping and the vaccination programme accelerating. I'll be booking my flights to Ireland as soon as I can, it's now been almost a year and a half since I've seen my family and friends. Someone asked me recently why I haven't been back in so long, seems a lot of people are not sticking to travel advice at all. Goes to show you can't trust people to just do the right thing when asked, it has to be enforced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

My kids are only back since yesterday and already I have notifications of three teachers out sick for the week. Even remote teaching isn't a certainity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement