Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until March/April? (part 4) **Mod warning in OP 22/01**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

the corpo wrote: »

Important to stick to party line, schools are safe.

Gas and last week they were short of throwing her under the bus and a few weeks before suggesting her as next leader of FF. Wibbly wobbly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

TTLF wrote: »
    Interestingly enough for LC students they all took to Twitter today and got to the trending tab with 4 different hashtags. The main one being "cancelthelc" and I thought it was interesting, over 23K tweets with that hashtag alone.

Virgin Media news starting to pick up on the stories today of the teenagers who want a fair LC. Good on them! I would also agree we need a fairer LC in fairness due to the last "4 months" of education missed.

As for LC's going in before midterm, I don't really see it happening personally, as another poster said, it's an "all or nothing" situation. Students will just complain that it's clearly still not safe to go in if no other year is going in.
    I also read on the news the INMO want the government want to declare a "state of emergency" - we haven't seen that since 1939 during WW2, so if my bets were anything, I won't be seeing school until probably after the break. :eek:

Seems some more clarity has come to light with project deadlines for DCG and possibly Economics to be extended "to the end of the month" or beyond, but of course I think that was more of a given since we're not in school and they have to be worked on in school time.

As for my own studies, Online learning has been of way better quality since March, however it is still draining day-to-day. I've also been slapped with tons of work, so I haven't really had time to do much independent study while trying to balance taking a break so I don't overstress myself.

I hope this insight helped for anyone wondering. :)

Leaving certs didn't just lose this year. They lost a massuve chunk of last year and i would feel lost out more than last year's leaving cert students.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Leaving certs didn't just lose this year. They lost a massuve chunk of last year and i would feel lost out more than last year's leaving cert students.

Is 6 weeks a massive chunk? assuming most schools had a week of in class summer tests planned, maybe sports day , may bank holiday etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,884 ✭✭✭amacca

Is 6 weeks a massive chunk? assuming most schools had a week of in class summer tests planned, maybe sports day , may bank holiday etc.

A lot of the ones I used to know lost more time from not doing a tap of work when there was no pandemic....if the majority of them got on with it they'd have been long finished the years course before the last shutdown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

The adjustments to the papers in my subjects have allowed for the time missed. To be honest, most of course done by now anyway, I know all courses are not the same. Biggest aspect of work remaining is the donkey work of studying and refining exam technique.

This years LCs are clever to push this tho. Predictive led to record grades, they will be even higher this year. Nearly every teacher will take the p1ss predicting now as people got away with it last year.

Media pressure got last year's LC cancelled so this is the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If you think that's mad...

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/taoiseach-micheal-martin-labelled-political-23224916
    When asked who should become next party leader, Mr Lenihan said: “They’re talking about Jim O’Callaghan, Darragh O’Brien, Michael McGrath and there’s even mention of Norma Foley. I think having at least four potential leaders is a good thing and a sign of the strength of the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

More circling the wagons. I've said it before but that party and herself will perish on this rock. No fault just admitting that you got things a little wrong and that you'll move in a different direction.

All of those.names have made apes of themselves at some stage over the past 18months. O'Callaghan was sidelined by Mehole as he is a total snake in the grass and was openly looking to position himself for the leadership heave that was coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

Just a thought, I could be way off the mark but - predicted grades this year would seem to me to be an entirely different entity to that of last year. Last year schools remained closed so I'm assuming no tests were held by teachers after the closure date to assist with grading. If predicted grades are announced, let's say, before mid-term and schools reopen will it not be a very pressurised 3 months for students as teachers are likely to hold a number of tests during this time? Doing class tests that will effectively determine a LC grade is very different to that which students are accustomed to. There really is no simple solution to this conundrum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

More circling the wagons. I've said it before but that party and herself will perish on this rock.

But they won't though, don't you know how politics works?

Worse has been done and yet our short memories or questionable voting decisions means we have an endless cycle of the same elected types year after year after year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I'd be surprised if we're back before Midterm

All Eyes On Rafah

michaelm wrote: »
    Just a thought, I could be way off the mark but - predicted grades this year would seem to me to be an entirely different entity to that of last year. Last year schools remained closed so I'm assuming no tests were held by teachers after the closure date to assist with grading. If predicted grades are announced, let's say, before mid-term and schools reopen will it not be a very pressurised 3 months for students as teachers are likely to hold a number of tests during this time? Doing class tests that will effectively determine a LC grade is very different to that which students are accustomed to. There really is no simple solution to this conundrum.

Some of the lads that I train are doing the JC this year. They said that they had in class assessments for pretty much every subject every week from September. Most schools that I'm aware of have this in place as the JC will be the sacrificed at the alter of the LC if needs be.

Few of my neighbours have LC classes and would openly say that they held in class assessments every 12-15 days since they went back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

O Callaghan was offered a junior ministry in Justice under McEntee and refused it as he didn't wan't to work, technically, for someone so unbelievable less qualified than him. He was elected a lot handier than some of the front benchers too. He also said it was dangerous to give that ministry to someone with so little political or legislative experience. That was borne out in the end. I'm no fan of FF but him, O Brien and McGrath have all had some input on the national stage and have written actual legislation (some of which I sort of even agree with) I'd be pissed if I was them to be mentioned in the same breath as Norma

Locotastic wrote: »
    But they won't though, don't you know how politics works?

Worse has been done and yet our short memories or questionable voting decisions means we have an endless cycle of the same elected types year after year after year.

Well whatever about her but FF will do well to get 15% of the popular vote in the next GE. They are gonna be decimated.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Hold My Hand

What level of engagement are ye getting from families? Mine is either a feast or a famine. Some are exceptional, uploading recordings, pictures etc. while others haven’t logged on once.

O Callaghan was offered a junior ministry in Justice under McEntee and refused it as he didn't wan't to work, technically, for someone so unbelievable less qualified than him. He was elected a lot handier than some of the front benchers too. He also said it was dangerous to give that ministry to someone with so little political or legislative experience. That was borne out in the end. I'm no fan of FF but him, O Brien and McGrath have all had some input on the national stage and have written actual legislation (some of which I sort of even agree with) I'd be pissed if I was them to be mentioned in the same breath as Norma

Yeah, contra Conor Lenihan, I'd say elevating Ms Foley to the status of 'potential leader' is a sign of a party with a death wish, or one that's just taking the p**s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

What level of engagement are ye getting from families? Mine is either a feast or a famine. Some are exceptional, uploading recordings, pictures etc. while others haven’t logged on once.

Mine is way better than last time. Only one kid hasn't logged on at all. Two kids, including the kid above haven't submitted any work to me. Most of mine are self-sufficient and require minimal parental involvement which the parents love.

What have the unions got to do with wider questions on the LC? Absolute dopes.

• Advertisement

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/fianna-f%C3%A1il-members-questions-if-students-will-return-to-school-at-end-of-month-1.4457714

IT report on the FF PP meeting

As indicated above, a wide range of views on how schooling should proceed in the current climate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/fianna-f%C3%A1il-members-questions-if-students-will-return-to-school-at-end-of-month-1.4457714

As indicated above, a wide range of views on how schooling should proceed in the current climate...
    I see its still the unions fault. That percentages quote is actually laughable. I'm sure in the shower it sounded amazing, but it's actually so stupid it's hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

I'd be surprised if we're back before Midterm

I'd be surprised if there was a midterm at all, mid February hopefully we'll have come through the worst of it before then.

Some schools only allocate a couple of days for it anyway so given the holiday extension at Christmas those two days won't be available any more, unless the plan is to cut the Easter holidays short.

I'd be surprised if there was a midterm at all, mid February hopefully we'll have come through the worst of it before then.

Some schools only allocate a couple of days for it anyway so given the holiday extension at Christmas those two days won't be available any more, unless the plan is to cut the Easter holidays short.

Midterm break will be badly needed by all when we get to it.

Should we go on the PUP as well just to satisfy ya?

In a thinly veiled criticism of Minister for Higher and Further Education Simon Harris, Mr Byrne said Minister for Education Norma Foley should speak about third level education more as the relevant minister was more interested in speaking about health.

Not seeing any veil there at all tbh:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Are you talking about primary here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

charming and students/staff doing there best and stressed to the eye balls in many cases

• Registered Users Posts: 6,884 ✭✭✭amacca

Smacruairi wrote: »
    I see its still the unions fault. That percentages quote is actually laughable. I'm sure in the shower it sounded amazing, but it's actually so stupid it's hilarious.

5% 60% 100% ....what a gombeen

If they had spent even 1% of their time preparing some contingency plan for this instead of burying their heads in the sand for 100% of time since this happened last year I would have more than 0% respect for them.

What a bunch of spineless weasels, you can't try to sideline and diminish the unions at every point then deliberately try and antagonize them because you're too much of a coward to own the consequences of your actions and you want them to be blamed for doing what you should have done in the first place.....but could have been avoided if they did some of that engaging with stakeholders they love to ****e on about when it suits them..........the hypocrisy of it, we did nothing, we didn't consult, we went out of our way to manipulate for our gain so they could have no say but now want to hold them accountable for something we deliberately gave them no input into. They should be held accountable for the outcomes of their decisions.

Not to mention a convenient distraction from their retarded bungling to date that let the situation get to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

combat14 wrote: »
    charming and students/staff doing there best and stressed to the eye balls in many cases

I , and many of my colleagues , were in school for the three days last week . The first day was wasted stupidly preparing to rejig things for the L Certs. The next two were spent getting ready for online and supervising students collecting books
    There has been no mention of those days being looked for again .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

How many kids have you put through leaving cert? I have put 7. It is because of all the above that any day missed this time of year is huge. This time of year is critical as regards practical subjects music, orals, art, dcg, ag science, practical for geography, probably subjects i wouldn't think of.

Actually i said a massive chunk of last year. March 13th to end of year is 2.5 months. 2.5 out of 9. You missed that maybe

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement