Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until March/April? (part 4) **Mod warning in OP 22/01**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Ohh hadn't heard that.

Saw it mentioned yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

khalessi wrote: »
    Wonder if one of these schools is where the teacher has been hospitalised

Doesn't really give out much information on these schools at all....I didn't see anything about teachers.....

Doesn't really give out much information on these schools at all....I didn't see anything about teachers.....

Nope saw it elsewhere, not sure if one of these schools will go have a look again later

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2021/0303/1200810-dail-education-schools/

Masks aren't a runner in Primary. Neither is any other increased safety measure apparently.

Norma Foley was asked today about mock exams for leaving certs....she stated that the dept has neither recommended/advised schools
    should hold mock exams...instead schools have been asked to spend the remaining time to prepare lC students for the LC through in class tuition...
    However she stated that schools can decide themselves if they want to hold mocks...

it all seems very confused...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Norma Foley was asked today about mock exams for leaving certs....she stated that the dept has neither recommended/advised schools
    should hold mock exams...instead schools have been asked to spend the remaining time to prepare lC students for the LC through in class tuition...
    However she stated that schools can decide themselves if they want to hold mocks...

it all seems very confused...

In fairness, it's entirely possible she hasn't read the advice from her department, not right but tracks with the general gist of what's been going on. The document is clear re mocks.

In fairness, it's entirely possible she hasn't read the advice from her department, not right but tracks with the general gist of what's been going on. The document is clear re mocks.

Oh she will have seen it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

out of interest when you mean clear regarding mocks is it up to schools to decide ?

Does anyone feel who is teaching LC students that the amount of time they are spending in school....they could be doing the same work/the rest of their classes online? .....

scamalert wrote: »
    out of interest when you mean clear regarding mocks is it up to schools to decide ?

Mocks aren't part of the curriculum so it's up to the school to decide ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Does anyone feel who is teaching LC students that the amount of time they are spending in school....they could be doing the same work/the rest of their classes online? .....

honestly for the majority of my students, yes. Theres a few optional subjects with project work to do but my 6th years seem quite anxious being back tbh.

scamalert wrote: »

From the document

6.5 What types of assessment may be used during this period?
    If administering an in-class teacher-designed test, the test should be no more than one
    lesson in duration (maximum one hour) and a maximum of three class tests may be
    administered up to 14 May 2021. Examples of tests that may be administered are
    written, oral, aural or practical tests.

6.6 What assessments should not be used during this period?
    Information from the following should not be used:
     Self or peer-assessed work for which there is no oversight or role for the
    teacher in assessing the work completed.
     Short written class tests of less than one class period that assess a limited
    aspect of learning, for example, spelling or vocabulary tests.
    Mock examinations (i.e. examinations involving full class groups sitting written
    examinations under conditions that mirror those of the certificate examinations) are
    neither required nor recommended for use as evidence for the Accredited Grades
    process. The period following the return to in-school teaching and learning should be
    used to maximise opportunities for teaching and learning with students.

We got pretty clear instructions from the union too (etb so TUI school, I'd assume the ASTI got similar)

You'd be hard pushed with these guidelines to run them and the unions have said they will happily intervene in any school that tries. Most I know have cancelled.

Now whether that's the right thing to do is another question

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

According to dulin live today another school in the south side of dublin has been closed from today until further notice....The school informed the parents that the children will be contacted by their teachers and will return back to remote education...
    Not good news at all....

It is to be expected, schools or classes will close. Some due to cases spreading, some due to staff shortages because of covid.

It will be like this for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭hesaidshesaid

From the document

6.5 What types of assessment may be used during this period?
    If administering an in-class teacher-designed test, the test should be no more than one
    lesson in duration (maximum one hour) and a maximum of three class tests may be
    administered up to 14 May 2021. Examples of tests that may be administered are
    written, oral, aural or practical tests.

6.6 What assessments should not be used during this period?
    Information from the following should not be used:
     Self or peer-assessed work for which there is no oversight or role for the
    teacher in assessing the work completed.
     Short written class tests of less than one class period that assess a limited
    aspect of learning, for example, spelling or vocabulary tests.
    Mock examinations (i.e. examinations involving full class groups sitting written
    examinations under conditions that mirror those of the certificate examinations) are
    neither required nor recommended for use as evidence for the Accredited Grades
    process. The period following the return to in-school teaching and learning should be
    used to maximise opportunities for teaching and learning with students.

We got pretty clear instructions from the union too (etb so TUI school, I'd assume the ASTI got similar)

You'd be hard pushed with these guidelines to run them and the unions have said they will happily intervene in any school that tries. Most I know have cancelled.

Now whether that's the right thing to do is another question

Have they given you any guidance on how to calculate the grades at all? If you can’t set tests do they expect you to be fortune tellers?
    I taught at secondary level and as good practice would have set weekly tests on new vocabulary, new topics covered, practice questions for the exam etc. If they can’t do this, how can teachers possibly gather adequate data to predict a student’s performance?

We have the guidance from the document. It's basically whatever results you have, 3 one hour tests between now and may the 14th plus classwork, then your professional judgement. It's not an impossible task but the limits of tests will make it a bit harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Article in Nature on why schools may be less of a risk in all of this.

Data gathered worldwide are increasingly suggesting that schools are not hot spots for coronavirus infections.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02973-3

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

is_that_so wrote: »
    Article in Nature on why schools may be less of a risk in all of this.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02973-3

I believe this article was already posted and hashed out here.

Basically, it all comes back to your key word "may." They don't know anything conclusively from the data. It could seem they are less of a risk because of the mitigation measures in place. Or maybe because they tend to be asymptomatic and therefore under tested. Many schools have been closed. Etc. And this article is from last year, before there was a new dominant, more contagious and virulent strain so it's difficult to see how it's still relevant now.

There have also been articles and research posted here pointing to data that show schools and children are very problematic. We have Mike Ryan of WHO saying children aged 10 and older can contract and transmit the virus at least as well as adults. And that was BEFORE the new strain.

From this posted article, which similar sentiment is found in MANY articles about children and covid:

"Evidence gleaned from national COVID-19 statistics also has shortcomings. In the United States, for example, asymptomatic infections are still being missed because of policies that only people who develop symptoms are tested."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭Neagra

why is testing necessary?
    serious question.
    surely hospitalisations, ICU numbers and deaths are the figures that should drive government response.
    but if we are to continue with testing there should be a media ban on reporting of school cases, we have to stop scaremongering as it causing alot of needless pain for many teachers and parents.
    if there is an outbreak in my local school only the immediate stakeholders should have a right to know. a couple of random cases across the country must not be allowed to be used for propaganda or fear mongering by dishonest parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Neagra wrote: »
    serious question.
    surely hospitalisations, ICU numbers and deaths are the figures that should drive government response.
    but if we are to continue with testing there should be a media ban on reporting of school cases, we have to stop scaremongering as it causing alot of needless pain for many teachers and parents.
    if there is an outbreak in my local school only the immediate stakeholders should have a right to know. a couple of random cases across the country must not be allowed to be used for propaganda or fear mongering by dishonest parties.
    Feckin hell are you having a laugh.

If there's a case in my school I want to know thanks. If there's a case in my child's school I want to know.

Your insane suggestion is basically how the HSE and gvmt has done things. Terrifying to be a part of, I have to say. We've had exposure to covid 6 times now between the two schools, mine and my daughter's. Knowing this (finding out through the grapevine) enabled us to act and protect ourselves. Some of our friends, colleagues and classmates weren't so lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Tiredandcranky

honestly for the majority of my students, yes. Theres a few optional subjects with project work to do but my 6th years seem quite anxious being back tbh.

Are they essentially being forced back to school so? Is it the class tests that’s making them go in? Is there any option to do those from home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Tiredandcranky

serious question.

The problem is that not even the immediate stakeholders are being told. Their definition of close contacts is an absolute joke. The virus is airborne and yet if 30 children sit all day in a stuffy classroom with a Covid case, only those less than 1 meter(!) from the case are deemed close contacts, and are entitled to be told about the case. The rest are not entitled to be told and must hear it on the grapevine or not at all...it’s terrifying for anyone with high risk people in their household.

Feckin hell are you having a laugh.

If there's a case in my school I want to know thanks. If there's a case in my child's school I want to know.

Your insane suggestion is basically how the HSE and gvmt has done things. Terrifying to be a part of, I have to say. We've had exposure to covid 6 times now between the two schools, mine and my daughter's. Knowing this (finding out through the grapevine) enabled us to act and protect ourselves. Some of our friends, colleagues and classmates weren't so lucky.

i am serious
    how many cases have gone unreported due to asymptomatic symptoms?
    way more then known cases i bet.
    look think about it dispassionately - take the hysteria out of it.
    my kids primary every child back and every teacher are back.
    thats the real take away.
    teachers and students are happy to be back .

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

serious question.

It will happen eventually where we only test people who are admitted to hospital etc and the reporting will dwindle.

I completely agree on the school cases, Facebook groups in particular nothing more than gossip hubs for people with very little to do.

If there's a case in your kids class or school and you are impacted then that's all anyone needs to know.

Locotastic wrote: »
    It will happen eventually where we only test people who are admitted to hospital etc and the reporting will dwindle.

I completely agree on the school cases, Facebook groups in particular nothing more than gossip hubs for people with very little to do.

If there's a case in your kids class or school and you are impacted then that's all anyone needs to know.

Cases in schools need to lose the secrecy.

Test the child who had covid, test the children around them test the staff involved.

The only reason I can see for them not doing this as they are worried about asymptomatic cases being found.

If a child has headlice the whole class is told there is a case and most of the class, most if not alll are treated and no one knows who the kid with headlice is.

We have kids coming in announcing they had Covid or they are absent and they are telling friends on SM then friends are telling me x is out cos of Covid.

Get rid of the secrecy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

serious question.

Name who you consider to be immediate stakeholders?

khalessi wrote: »
    Cases in schools need to lose the secrecy.

Test the child who had covid, test the children around them test the staff involved.

The only reason I can see for them not doing this as they are worried about asymptomatic cases being found.

If a child has headlice the whole class is told there is a case and most of the class, if not all are treated and no one knows who the kid with headlice is.

We have kids coming in announcing they had Covid or they are absent and they are telling friends on SM then friends are telling me x is out cos of Covid.

Get rid of the secrecy.

more secrecy is needed not less.
    i love GDPR - a right to privacy is something i personally would fight for.

Name who you consider to be immediate stakeholders?

if a child tests positive - then the principal, the class teacher and parents of the child in question
    if a teacher tests positive nobody outside principal.

more secrecy is needed not less.
    i love GDPR - a right to privacy is something i personally would fight for.

Good for you, then cases of measles, chicken pox scarlet fever slapped cheek, hands foot and mouth head lice and other reportable illnesses should all be not reported to schools?

No one is asking for child to be identified just illness reported.

Dont know why you would want more GDPR since yourself and others keep telling school staff it is nothing to be worried about

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

if a child tests positive - then the principal, the class teacher and parents of the child in question

So not the parents of other students in the class? And currently the class teacher isn't necessarily told.

• Advertisement

What about the students who have been in close contact with the teacher?

I sit less that 60cm from my students, should they be told if I test positive?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement