Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until March/April? (part 4) **Mod warning in OP 22/01**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Stateofyou wrote: »
    That poster has form in taking other's comments and twisting it up just to be inflammatory, seems to amuse them - and they don't even live here in Ireland yet strangely spend every day on this site commenting on a school system that's nothing to do with them, often attacking parents and teachers. Wirelessdude doesn't say that or imply it at all.
    Lillyfae wrote: »
    All of my family are in Ireland. I have nieces and nephews that are in the school system and friends and family who are teachers in Ireland. I am Irish. I have the same right to post and have an opinion here as you do, or someone from Armenia for that matter

Wirelessdude outright said what he said- i quoted his comment in full, twice. I twisted absolutely nothing. It's not even the first time he's said questionable things about children.

Mod:

Both of you are now permanently threadbanned for more bickering and outright hostile comments to other posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Where is our quality lacking?

Where did i say your quality was lacking?

Quantity for education hours is not a proper measuring tool.

For example:
    Someone in the office that works 60 hours a week is not better than someone who works 40 and delivers the same quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Teacher2020

Never said your terrible at it, so stop trying to twist a post.

What i said was never use quantity in terms of time to say how good something is.

As i said above we could move to the european hours and spend more time on mental and physical education.

In private schools, parents fund the extra P.E. and wellness activities. Many parents in ordinary schools would not be in a position to do that. The government certainly won't fund it. I don't have the expertise to teach the variety of P.E. activities that they have in private schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

Where did i say your quality was lacking?

Quantity for education hours is not a proper measuring tool.

For example:
    Someone in the office that works 60 hours a week is not better than someone who works 40 and delivers the same quality.

Well you jumped in on a conversation about teaching contact time (quantity) saying it was all about quality so you inferred it. Or at least that's what I picked up from your post, as did another poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

To improve things i would suggest cutting summer hols to match Europe and then get the physical education in to match europe also.

We spend the highest teaching hours but is it done the right way?

We don't teach languages correctly. Some schools are good on the mental health side of things and physical education, but alot are lacking massively on it.

The one thing i notice about private schools, is the focus on kids mental and physical side.

What's the need for cutting summer holidays when the students in Ireland have a good standard of education?

What do you mean languages are not taught correctly?

There's seems to be plenty of physical education in every school.....

What's your experience of private schools? One of my children (adult now and teacher) went to a private school and fared no better than my daughter who didn't....re focus on mental and physical side no better than ordinary secondary school...

• Advertisement

Do you know what hours are currently being spent on mental and physical education?

I know from talking to parents around us, where some are teachers.
    I know our kids school is spends alot on mental education, they do PE twice a week which is way too little

I know our kids school is spends alot on mental education, they do PE twice a week which is way too little

So you don't know how many hours but based on anecdotal evidence you feel it is insufficient?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Teacher2020

The primary curriculum allocates 1 hour per week for P.E. and 30 minutes for SPHE- that's all. There is no flexibility regarding this. Any school doing more than this are sacrificing times allocated to other subjects.

What's the need for cutting summer holidays when the students in Ireland have a good standard of education?

What do you mean languages are not taught correctly?

There's seems to be plenty of physical education in every school.....

What's your experience of private schools? One of my children (adult now and teacher) went to a private school and fared no better than my daughter who didn't....re focus on mental and physical side no better than ordinary secondary school...

Language

Look at kids in an European school and compare them to kids here. Start with 2nd class. Can the Irish student speak their second language as well the kid in Europe ?

Yes I have research the private school we hope to attend.
    They have physical education each day for the kids where they have to take part in at least one sport and also have other interests in the school from Music, Cooking, Swimming, drama, photography etc.

So you don't know how many hours but based on anecdotal evidence you feel it is insufficient?

Here you go from one of the teachers here
    "The primary curriculum allocates 1 hour per week for P.E. and 30 minutes for SPHE- that's all. There is no flexibility regarding this. Any school doing more than this are sacrificing times allocated to other subjects."

You think that is enough?

• Advertisement

The primary curriculum allocates 1 hour per week for P.E. and 30 minutes for SPHE- that's all. There is no flexibility regarding this. Any school doing more than this are sacrificing times allocated to other subjects.

So if we can cut the summer hols, we can dedicate more time to the above.

Here you go from one of the teachers here
    "The primary curriculum allocates 1 hour per week for P.E. and 30 minutes for SPHE- that's all. There is no flexibility regarding this. Any school doing more than this are sacrificing times allocated to other subjects."

You think that is enough?

I work in post primary and am not familiar enough with the primary curriculum to comment. At post primary a student will receive almost double the amount of wellbeing hours in their first three years at school than they will of English. How much more should they get?

I work in post primary and am not familiar enough with the primary curriculum to comment. At post primary a student will receive almost double the amount of wellbeing hours in their first three years at school than they will of English. How much more should they get?

What happens after the first 3 years?

What happens after the first 3 years?

I'm not sure the hours breakdown. If you search for wellbeing in post primary schools I think there was a guideline in that document, it's outdated though, I'm not sure what it's successor is. Would you care to answer my questions now? I've answered yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

So anyway, when do you think we're likely to hear a confirmed decision on the March 15 return?

the corpo wrote: »
    So anyway, when do you think we're likely to hear a confirmed decision on the March 15 return?

Knowing the Department, 5.15 on Friday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

the corpo wrote: »

Email already went out to schools today saying that the returns 15th is going ahead.

https://twitter.com/CatrionaGolden/status/1368921318029156354?s=20

alroley wrote: »
    Email already went out to schools today saying that the returns 15th is going ahead.

Jeez that is much more efficient than normal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

It's really reassuring how much thought and analysis went into seeing how the case numbers etc went over the 2 weeks of phased reopening!!!!!!!!

This early mail basically says that "we don't care what happens with case numbers, all schools fully open on March 15th"

No surprise really as if NoFo got her way we'd all have been in on January 11th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

Are they under some kind of enormous constituent pressure to open the schools extremely rapidly, or what's going on?

I would like to see some published scientific data on this being put forward to support their moves, not just these arbitrary announcements without any explanation.

Ideally, we should have had in-school testing or at least representative sample testing over the last couple of weeks.

Instead, we're just getting what sounds like an arbitrary message and nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

Are they under some kind of enormous constituent pressure to open the schools extremely rapidly, or what's going on?

I would like to see some published scientific data on this being put forward to support their moves, not just these arbitrary announcements without any explanation.

Ideally, we should have had in-school testing or at least representative sample testing over the last couple of weeks.

Instead, we're just getting what sounds like an arbitrary message and nothing else.

According to the independent today..letters were sent out to principals informing that it was safe for 5th year/primary schools can return to school next monday.
    It stated that Public Health has reviewed the measures put in place to ensure safe operation of schools and if these measure are rigerously will keep the school community safe during this period.

The letter reminded school principals that all unnecessary travel should be avoided and in the interest of minimizing the spread of cornavirus.. schools must make every effort to avoid organising events that would lead to the congregation of students...

I know my (grown up adult teachers) have told me nothing has changed in their schools since christmas..
    How does this fare regarding students that still need to do their geography field trips?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I know of schools that were asked by the HSE today to contact their parents and plead with them to stop organising sleepovers, playdates and similar such activities as they are causing spikes. Make of that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

The letter reminded school principals that all unnecessary travel should be avoided and in the interest of minimizing the spread of cornavirus.. schools must make every effort to avoid organising events that would lead to the congregation of students...

I know that the bishops in Connaught have postponed all confirmations until August at the earliest and have asked that parishes postpone all first confession and communion ceremonies until the autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

What could possibly go wrong....

I think this is the question you are asking me to answer.

So when you double the amount, how much time is spent on English? Well Being and Physical Exercise?

Some schools break up Well being and Physical Exercise?

I know some secondary schools do physical exercise every day from 3-5. These would mainly be private

So when you double the amount, how much time is spent on English? Well Being and Physical Exercise?

I know some secondary schools do physical exercise every day from 3-5.

240 hours for English over 3 years. 400 for wellbeing.

I know some secondary schools do physical exercise every day from 3-5.

240 hours for English over 3 years. 400 for wellbeing. You still haven't answered the question. Do your own research. You were the one who came on here suggesting schools were not doing enough in these areas seemingly based on zero research.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

I know that the bishops in Connaught have postponed all confirmations until August at the earliest and have asked that parishes postpone all first confession and communion ceremonies until the autumn.

Is this true? Our principal is convinced the confirmation will go ahead in April? The class are actually supposed to be joining with another local school too. Nothing from the diocese however but they are planning for it as normal....pressure being put on too to fix a date for communion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Deeec

I know of schools that were asked by the HSE today to contact their parents and plead with them to stop organising sleepovers, playdates and similar such activities as they are causing spikes. Make of that what you will.

Any parent organising or sending their kids to playdates, parties etc should have their children excluded from school for 14 days. That would soon stop this behaviour. I would imagine teachers hear all about these events from the kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

Plenty of student teachers going to house parties too.

Whole thing is insane.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement