Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until March/April? (part 4) **Mod warning in OP 22/01**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭deliege

Hurrache wrote: »
    DES? Other emails I've seen from schools all remind children to have their sanitiser with them.

I don't know, I just (literally) copied and pasted the sentence from the pdf letter we got. The part about kids not being permitted to have their own bottle is highlighted in bold...

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

646 new cases today and 10 more deaths rip..... where are these cases coming from? Still say schools should never have been re-opened with these new varients circulating....

23rd February Ronan Glynn said "Nphet and the government have frequently pointed out the risk associated with the re-opening of schools isn't necessarily down to students been in school but how it leads to the wider movement of people". He went on say...."We don't want more inter-household mixing outside of school settings and we don't want people returning to workplaces in the context of children going back to school".

by the opening of the schools it was obvious this would all happen.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

I'm not suggesting anything here, but does anyone know what the plan is if schools cannot return as before?

Has there been any contingencies touted? Hybrid learning or whatever?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

646 new cases today and 10 more deaths rip..... where are these cases coming from? Still say schools should never have been re-opened with these new varients circulating....

Many parents out and about the last two weeks with the infants - second classes back

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

I noted today that locks lidl was CRAZY with families
    4/5/6 people to a trolley
    Come home then and read this
    FFS what are we at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I'm not suggesting anything here, but does anyone know what the plan is if schools cannot return as before?

Has there been any contingencies touted? Hybrid learning or whatever?

It would take a monumental increase in numbers for the school reopening plan to be amended or adjusted in any way, shape or form. Remember "schools are safe", no need to be amending anything.

Well we were told yesterday that approx 20-25% of cases perr day are now from school aged children. I wonder what has changed in the past number of weeks?

I have three kids who won't be returning until after Easter at the earliest and another 2 who are considered close contacts so have to go through the protocols and tests. Guessing it will be a lucky class which doesn't have a kid or kids missing every day until the end of the year because they are designated as close contacts either in school or in the community. Gonna be tricky to balance everything.

It would take a monumental increase in numbers for the school reopening plan to be amended or adjusted in any way, shape or form. Remember "schools are safe", no need to be amending anything.

I agree but the very fact that schools were opened has lead to this escalation...

I agree but the very fact that schools were opened has lead to this escalation...

Of course not, sure "schools are safe". Has to be an unknown variable that sails close by on the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

This is nothing more than your opinion, unless you have evidence to the contrary?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Please provide a source for such a claim, or express it as personal opinion rather than fact

Locotastic wrote: »
    This is nothing more than your opinion, unless you have evidence to the contrary?

Yes it's my opinion based on the fact that schools open .... It's a sign the country/ecomony is opening up....people take it that's a green light to "get back to normal" hence all the movement ie traffic/people leading to more cases..then add all the propaganda from the government assuring everyone that we will all be vaccinated by certain dates knowing full well it's not going to ...
    happen...

You have your opinion I have mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Cases creeping up again, nothing to do with the schools of course.

Just look at the traffic on roads and lack of checkpoints

People are on the move in a big way every day, not just on the school run

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Schools are unlikely to be having any material impact on published figures at this stage. Another week or so will provide a much better indication, but they only started opening on 1 March. It takes a few days for signs to show with a another day or two to get tested, another day for results and then there's another day until they are included in the published figures

Beasty wrote: »
    Schools are unlikely to be having any material impact on published figures at this stage. Another week or so will provide a much better indication, but they only started opening on 1 March. It takes a few days for signs to show with a another day or two to get tested, another day for results and then there's another day until they are included in the published figures

But sure we were told that a comprehensive review was done and it was safe to proceed with the reopening next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭vid36

Lots of analysis in the UK found that reopening schools with the presence of the new variant would push the R value above 1. It could be a longer than expected Easter break.

https://www.lshtm.ac.uk/newsevents/news/2021/impact-reopening-schools-sars-cov-2-transmission-england

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

vid36 wrote: »
    Lots of analysis in the UK found that reopening schools with the presence of the new variant would push the R value above 1. It could be a longer than expected Easter break.

https://www.lshtm.ac.uk/newsevents/news/2021/impact-reopening-schools-sars-cov-2-transmission-england

There’s not a hope of schools closing again unless we go back in to the thousands and thousands of cases. They got them open again, they’re not for closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

There’s not a hope of schools closing again unless we go back in to the thousands and thousands of cases. They got them open again, they’re not for closing.

whether right or wrong, i agree with you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i dont think we will see the rest of students back til may 1st , cases are coming up again.next week they could well be in 800 mark. you wont see kids back then after easter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i dont think we will see the rest of students back til may 1st , cases are coming up again.next week they could well be in 800 mark. you wont see kids back then after easter

Not a hope, come hell rain or sun kids are back

I think it's going to be class by class and school by school basis, I don't think we'll see another school closure across the board. Healthcare workers and many vulnerable have already been vaccinated.

Case numbers are just case numbers - they will cease to be important, hospital figures, ICU admissions etc are what will dictate what happens and they are plummeting by the day. After a while we'll only test people who are ill and we'll stop reporting daily case numbers too.

Our positivity rate is just over 3% (it was 24% at peak) things are getting better.

Parents are key
    They cannot just land a child into school if there has been any symptoms at home or any notification of close contacts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

We will be their pretty quickly if the Ro is above 1. Analysis in the UK does not look promising

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Tiredandcranky

wadacrack wrote: »
    We will be their pretty quickly if the Ro is above 1. Analysis in the UK does not look promising

Yeah. Looks like we’re above 1 already. Quick ‘back of the envelope’ calc. Assume the lowest estimate they gave of R0=1.1, 600 cases average now, we’re at 1000 cases/day by 7th April.

Will that be enough to change their plans though?

wadacrack wrote: »

They seem to be doing alright, fairly similar situation to us here albeit their vaccinations are being done on a much bigger scale.

You test more people you're going to find more cases, secondary school staff and students, primary school staff and all of their bubbles are tested twice a week.

When a huge cohort of the population are vaccinated cases will no longer be relevant, vaccinated people can still get (and transmit) covid but are less likely to get seriously ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

I do wonder if it will be staggered a bit more niw
    3rd years will certainly be back straight after Easter . But if numbers don’t drop sufficiently then maybe only one other year group with them . Probably first years.
    Two weeks later 2nd years and TYs(who will be nearly finished !)
    It does seem a little risky now to have everyone landing in together in just 4 weeks time.........

km79 wrote: »
    I do wonder if it will be staggered a bit more niw
    3rd years will certainly be back straight after Easter . But if numbers don’t drop sufficiently then maybe only one other year group with them . Probably first years.
    Two weeks later 2nd years and TYs(who will be nearly finished !)
    It does seem a little risky now to have everyone landing in together in just 4 weeks time.........

They'll have waited long enough, the reopening of schools over a two month period is no too fast by any means.

Those students will have been out of school for nearly 4 months when they finally get back.

We're not waiting for numbers to drop, schools are already open with numbers as they are now. Our cases, hospitalisations and ICU numbers are dropping week on week.

Parents are key
    They cannot just land a child into school if there has been any symptoms at home or any notification of close contacts

Parents have done that though....in my son's school (he's a young adult secondary school teacher) ....a student was in class (just before the christmas break) the parent had sent him into school ..he was awaiting a hse test..I'm nearly positive what happened was the test wasn't coming up quick enough and she looked for a private test....at the same time she had that student sitting in a classroom with others....hadn't told the school at all...until he tested positive.

• Advertisement

Parents have done that though....in my son's school (he's a young adult secondary school teacher) ....a student was in class (just before the christmas break) the parent had sent him into school ..he was awaiting a hse test..I'm nearly positive what happened was the test wasn't coming up quick enough and she looked for a private test....at the same time she had that student sitting in a classroom with others....hadn't told the school at all...until he tested positive.

There were always parents who have little regard for anyone else so I'm not surprised at this and I've heard many similar stories.

Anyone who knowingly sends a student to school while a close contact, awaiting tests, has symptoms etc should face consequences. I think there should be legal repercussions, they might understand the rules quick enough then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement