Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until March/April? (part 4) **Mod warning in OP 22/01**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

SusanC10 wrote: »
    You have no way of knowing this for certain. No one does. You may be right and you may hope that they don't close again but no-one can be sure.

Yeah I can as nothing else will open up to keep schools open.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

Before comparing 2 sets of data you should ensure you’re comparing like for like. In this case you are not - the cases announced today include a backlog.

So statistically cases have not increased. Yet.

There should be a separate forum for all these doom merchants clinging onto any piece of negative news.

Schools will not close again - get over it.

Today's cases don't include a backlog, mostly swabbed Thursday and Friday.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1373712826339106821

Schools are closing after this Friday for two weeks and if cases don't come down during that time, there is a chance the reopening will be reconsidered.

New variant is really something to contend with. Spreads like absolute wildfire during outbreaks. 75% of cases are under 45 and we'll know more with HPSC data tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

HSE doing their best to keep school cases down

I've heard multiple cases of asymptomatic children testing positive, after being in primary school however the hse are putting them down as community transmission so the school/class don't have to take action

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Anyone who is calling for schools to close again, should have their heads examined. Just to point this out again, covid 19 is a mild illness in the majority of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

HSE doing their best to keep school cases down

I've heard multiple cases of asymptomatic children testing positive, after being in primary school however the hse are putting them down as community transmission so the school/class don't have to take action

Mod

Please don't drop unsubstantiated rumours in the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Tpcl20 wrote: »

Schools are closing after this Friday for two weeks and if cases don't come down during that time, there is a chance the reopening will be reconsidered.

New variant is really something to contend with. Spreads like absolute wildfire during outbreaks. 75% of cases are under 45 and we'll know more with HPSC data tomorrow.

There will be 70 000 young adults and teacher maskless in rooms talking to each other for 15-20 mins at a time during those 2 weeks off. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Anyone who is calling for schools to close again, should have their heads examined. Just to point this out again, covid 19 is a mild illness in the majority of cases.

Sure what's another few hundred more deaths to add to the already 4,500+?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Exactly what is a few more hundred deaths. Its a pandemic and its still a mild illness for most people. Covid 19 is here to stay with us

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Thanks Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Exactly what is a few more hundred deaths. Its a pandemic and its still a mild illness for most people. Covid 19 is here to stay with us

Jesus ****ing Christ, I hope you are just trolling :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Yikes.

He might be exaggerating a little, but he's not wrong.

Unless this vaccination programme ramps up and soon, we are entering a new level of darkness. The variants are vicious in strength and they spread like wildfire.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    He might be exaggerating a little, but he's not wrong.

Unless this vaccination programme ramps up and soon, we are entering a new level of darkness. The variants are vicious in strength and they spread like wildfire.

Except we should never be content to just let a couple of hundred or whatever arbitrary number of people just die because times are tough, jesus

Except we should never be content to just let a couple of hundred or whatever arbitrary number of people just die because times are tough, jesus

The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭hesaidshesaid

Would you feel the same if you, or one of your family, became one of the few?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Except it’s not just about those who die . Long Covid is going to be a huge problem for years to come .

I'm pretty sure Hitler probably said something similar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

The couple of months of the many, outweigh the lives of the few

Lets be honest about what we're talking about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

https://mobile.twitter.com/MartinaBroe1/status/1373756289508065286

This jumped.

https://twitter.com/LouisWu1992/status/1373774009469448192?s=20

Also cases in the cohort who are mostly at home are falling, while the cohort at school is increasing.

God I wonder what could be causing that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

This jumped.

Also cases in the cohort who are mostly at home are falling, while the cohort at school is increasing.

It can only get into the schools from the community. So if it falls in the community then it will fall in the schools.

Be interesting to see if it spread in our daughters class, if it is as bad as people think it is, my sons class should be out by Thursday, as two girls that sits on the table of the girl that tested positive, their brothers sit by my son.

• Advertisement

This jumped.

Utter mystery

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

When u have a positive case in the class, are the teachers not allowed to explain it to the kids?

We explained it ours but would hope the teachers be allowed to make the kids feel comfortable and answer questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

alroley wrote: »
    Sure what's another few hundred more deaths to add to the already 4,500+?

That's an extremely callous remark...you should be ashamed of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭LittleBrick

Principals in numerous schools have said to send home absolutely everything this Friday, as rumours are schools are closing until September. As much as I hope this isn't true, 90% of rumours and leaks to date have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Teacher2020

Principals in numerous schools have said to send home absolutely everything this Friday, as rumours are schools are closing until September. As much as I hope this isn't true, 90% of rumours and leaks to date have been.
    I feel that there is no chance of schools closing after Easter.
    They are determined to keep them open regardless of the impact on cases. Norma Foley would have had schools open in Jan with 8000 cases per day.
    I do think the benefit of being at school outweighs the risk as much as I'm nervous about being here.
    The impact on being back at work has drastically improved my mental health - I feel so much better being back to school than being stuck in front of a laptop all day. Fingers crossed they stay open!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I feel that there is no chance of schools closing after Easter.
    They are determined to keep them open regardless of the impact on cases. Norma Foley would have had schools open in Jan with 8000 cases per day.
    I do think the benefit of being at school outweighs the risk as much as I'm nervous about being here.
    The impact on being back at work has drastically improved my mental health - I feel so much better being back to school than being stuck in front of a laptop all day. Fingers crossed they stay open!

I agree I can’t see them closing.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if pregnant staff will be sent back into the classroom too.
    I heard today on the radio nursing/residential home visits are back 2 x 1 hour per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

A north dublin creche confirms multiple positive covid 19 cases and an urgent letter has been sent home to parents..
    HSE have stated that this is unrelated to previous cases at the creche.

The creche is remaining open for children who were not close contacts and any children/staff who were in the same "pod" as the positive case will be contacted by the HSE on what the next steps are to be taken..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

We will be sending home books on Friday as a just in case but in all honesty I can't see things closing up again unless things deteoriate massively.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

That’s is absolute rubbish .
    100% rubbish

• Advertisement

Schools won't close again, the government don't give a flying **** about the safety of staff and have concluded that children are at no risk, and if those children bring it home they will just put it down as community transmission so as not to spook the general public about schools. That's the reality.

On a brighter note, easter holidays next week :) well needed after the last few months.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement