Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until March/April? (part 4) **Mod warning in OP 22/01**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Locotastic wrote: »
    Today's lower numbers might indicate otherwise.

Tuesday is traditionally the lowest day for figures. Testing at the weekend is always lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Tuesday is traditionally the lowest day for figures. Testing at the weekend is always lower.

Plus all the indicators are in the wrong direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Teacher2020

The hospital numbers are the numbers that matter when the decisions are made to close schools. They were at 2000 and 200 ICU back in Jan so fingers crossed they don't start rising again and schools can stay open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

The government are going to have to accept at some stage that our numbers are what they are and we need to move forward anyway. We are supposedly in level 5 and yet our daily confirmed cases are still high. We can dress it up anyway we like but bottom line people are on the move and have been for weeks.
    Government have lost people and its that simple.
    The goalposts are being moved all the time, between reducing numbers, then it was reducing hospital cases, then the R number, community transmission, once we vaccinate our front line workers, once we vaccinate our vulnerable. We have had this carrot dangled long enough and it feels like we are no closer to having our lives back.

I have friends in other counties who's kids are back to school, back to sports, they are seeing family and friends, eating out and basically living their lives. Yes there are restrictions and its not life like they knew before but they have some sort of a life back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

I don't think you've thought this through at all. Teachers are online, teaching remotes and in person now in some cases.

Also how do you account for the students who have worked unbelievably hard during lock down (the silent majority by the way).....they don't deserve their holidays? Anyone dealing with large numbers of kids will tell you that the summer holidays will definitely be needed. The kids love being back, as do I by the way but the pandemic has them shattered, physically and emotionally, They will need time to rebuild. Ideally a few weeks of normality before the holidays would certainly do most the world of good but asking a child who has been online every day, producing excellent work and engaging fully to do more school because a few students (generally the same who aren't engaged in class and who's parents won't pick up a phone call) might need it is insane.

Summer schools run by the department targeted at SEN and DEIS students will suffice, maybe lobby the government for extending them? Though with the attitude online towards teachers I can't see a lot of volunteers.

Agree with your point about the kids that have engaged with the school online and worked dam hard at it, deserve a break as they are mentally and physically wore out at present, our two in secondary are just finished their project and homework in the last half hour and gone to bed wore out.

The annoying thing on this thread is the people complaining about schools should be opened, teachers not doing enough and want kids to have no summer holidays, have no kids in school themselves and are just like complaining on here to pass the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

jrosen wrote: »
    The government are going to have to accept at some stage that our numbers are what they are and we need to move forward anyway. We are supposedly in level 5 and yet our daily confirmed cases are still high. We can dress it up anyway we like but bottom line people are on the move and have been for weeks.
    Government have lost people and its that simple.
    The goalposts are being moved all the time, between reducing numbers, then it was reducing hospital cases, then the R number, community transmission, once we vaccinate our front line workers, once we vaccinate our vulnerable. We have had this carrot dangled long enough and it feels like we are no closer to having our lives back.

I have friends in other counties who's kids are back to school, back to sports, they are seeing family and friends, eating out and basically living their lives. Yes there are restrictions and its not life like they knew before but they have some sort of a life back.
    Where is this utopia? Leitrim?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

Number of people referred for Covid tests up 42pc in seven days

Monday’s referrals were also up 35pc on the same day last week, as Mr Reid asked people to stay alert to the virus in their community.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/number-of-people-referred-for-covid-tests-up-42pc-in-seven-days-40233668.html

no smoke without fire? cant wait to get beyond 5km, hopefully things settle down this week and easter will be a successful mini breaker for covid

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

Meeting today to determine if apprentices can return to etb training centres this coming Monday. . These apprentices will be travelling from all over the country to their training centres from Monday to Friday for the next couple of months.
    No test required, just sign a form.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

Where is this utopia? Leitrim?

I live in Leitrim ....you wouldn't really know there was a lockdown here at all...cars on the roads as usual...lorries...no social distancing in supermarkets...people out walking/exercising ...we have very few garda here...somehow our virus numbers are constantly so low....Personally I don't believe the figures for leitrim...too many people knowing others who have had the virus ....an old term for Leitrim was *the forgotton county* maybe they've forgotton our numbers..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,912 ✭✭✭✭josip

I live in Leitrim ....you wouldn't really know there was a lockdown here at all...cars on the roads as usual...lorries...no social distancing in supermarkets...people out walking/exercising ...we have very few garda here...somehow our virus numbers are constantly so low....Personally I don't believe the figures for leitrim...too many people knowing others who have had the virus ....an old term for Leitrim was *the forgotton county* maybe they've forgotton our numbers..

They need to get Sergeant Newcombe back into Mohill to keep tabs on ye :)

Are 2 children allowed to meet up with each other outside school to go for a walk according to the current regulations ?
    From a common sense perspective, it's a no-brainer since they are in the same class so there isn't any increased risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

josip wrote: »

Are 2 children allowed to meet up with each other outside school to go for a walk according to the current regulations ?
    From a common sense perspective, it's a no-brainer since they are in the same class so there isn't any increased risk.

We got an email yesterday from the Primary School reminding Parents that children who are not siblings should not be meeting each other outside of school unless they are in a support bubble as defined in the regulations. And that there should be no playdates, parties or sleepovers happening at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Random sample

SusanC10 wrote: »
    We got an email yesterday from the Primary School reminding Parents that children who are not siblings should not be meeting each other outside of school unless they are in a support bubble as defined in the regulations. And that there should be no playdates, parties or sleepovers happening at the moment.
    Meeting for exercise with one other person/family is allowed. That’s not the same as a play date/party/sleepover.

Meeting for exercise with one other person/family is allowed. That’s not the same as a play date/party/sleepover.

I get the feeling that it is more about multiple kids from multiple households playing together in the various housing estates.
    And obviously the parties/playdates etc which are clearly happening.

I get the feeling that it is more about multiple kids from multiple households playing together in the various housing estates.

I agree, I just meant that it doesn’t apply to josips query.

I agree, I just meant that it doesn’t apply to josips query.

Fair enough. I actually thought it was 1 other person that you could meet for exercise not household. Stand corrected !

Should it be the same household you meet for exercise or could it theoretically be a different household every day ? Just curious.

Yes, our principal said the same to our kids classes but didn't put it in writing to the parents.
    I wasn't impressed.
    I come from a generation where that sort of overstepping enabled an environment that allowed some bad people to do bad things to children.
    I understand that things are very different now and the best interests of the school were at heart, but unfortunately I can't change my instinctive reaction to this.

Fair enough. I actually thought it was 1 other person that you could meet for exercise not household. Stand corrected !

Should it be the same household you meet for exercise or could it theoretically be a different household every day ? Just curious.

In our case, it's the same household each time but I don't know if the regulation intends that or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

gifted wrote: »
    Meeting today to determine if apprentices can return to etb training centres this coming Monday. . These apprentices will be travelling from all over the country to their training centres from Monday to Friday for the next couple of months.
    No test required, just sign a form.

Do you mean like a back to work form? they sign it saying they haven't been near anyone with coronavirus...don't have any symtoms etc.....maybe it's not used now idk....

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    Yes, our principal said the same to our kids classes but didn't put it in writing to the parents.
    I wasn't impressed.
    I come from a generation where that sort of overstepping enabled an environment that allowed some bad people to do bad things to children.
    I understand that things are very different now and the best interests of the school were at heart, but unfortunately I can't change my instinctive reaction to this.

Principals have been asked to do this. I don’t think it is overstepping the mark to remind students in your care that they need to follow government guidelines.

Principals have been asked to do this. I don’t think it is overstepping the mark to remind students in your care that they need to follow government guidelines.

It is overstepping the mark if they tell the kids they are not allowed to meet each other outside school under any circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Sometime this is necessary for childcare reasons. Childcare has to be taken into consideration.

According to the Independent school-related covid 19 outbreaks trebled in one week new figures show...the largest number of people effected in a single outbreak was 8...Public health teams conducted mass testing in 183 schools last week up 70% on the 108 of the week before...latest data issued by the HSE..

Paschal Donahoe minister of finance has meanwhile stated that all schools will be returning after the Easter break as previously planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

I'd say it's coming from what teachers are being told in Monday morning news. I know the news in my room was most illuminating and we sent a similar email home. The ones who are meeting up for a walk aren't the problem for us, it's the sleepovers, indoor playdates and parties.

I swear, it's like people think their kids don't tell us what goes on...

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

I'd say it's coming from what teachers are being told in Monday morning news. I know the news in my room was most illuminating and we sent a similar email home. The ones who are meeting up for a walk aren't the problem for us, it's the sleepovers, indoor playdates and parties.

If schools close again it will be teachers and principals who get the blame then !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Deeec

When I pick up my kids from school Im seeing childminders pick up kids from maybe 3 different houses ( and maybe have 2 more kids in their car aswell), playdate pick ups, car pooling etc. Also seeing mammys get into other mammys cars to have a good chat while they are waiting. None of this was happening when schools were opened from Sept-Dec. People have forgotten that they need to be minimising contact.

I think the control measures that are happening within schools are good - we seen this from Sept- Dec. Its what is happening outside of schools as a result of schools being opened thats causing cases to go up. The same hygiene procedures re hand washing/ sanitising not sharing is not happening at playdates, parties etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Principle had no right to ask kids from meeting outside in the fresh air. Sure they can play at playgrounds.

We haven't been asked and doubt we would do it. Kids mental health more important.

Now if one sibling is close contact, all siblings should stay in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Sometimes they tell ye too much in the wrong context !!!

Once we spent a weekend camping, youngest back in school, what is your news of the weekend. I played my nintendo on Sunday evening :mad:

• Advertisement

Lisha wrote: »
    Sometime this is necessary for childcare reasons. Childcare has to be taken into consideration.

I am not sure what multiple kids from multiple households playing outside together in the green of an estate has to do with childcare ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement