Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until March/April? (part 4) **Mod warning in OP 22/01**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

copeyhagen wrote: »
    our school has never sent books home and the kids books are going home. pretty obvious whats going to happen

Please do tell us and most importantly CoB of the IT as he hasn't announced it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Deeec

What do people think of this? One of the secondary schools that we feed into are having their entrance assessments onsite tomorrow.

This shouldnt be happening. Surely they could just ask the primary school to rate the childs ability instead. Ive always felt secondary school entrance exams are unfair. I remember being so nervous going to mine that I didnt perform well. Luckily the principle of my primary school appealed on my behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

What do people think of this? One of the secondary schools that we feed into are having their entrance assessments onsite tomorrow.

Surely that couldn't be allowed.

Deeec wrote: »
    This shouldnt be happening. Surely they could just ask the primary school to rate the childs ability instead. Ive always felt secondary school entrance exams are unfair. I remember being so nervous going to mine that I didnt perform well. Luckily the principle of my primary school appealed on my behalf.

They are the only school going ahead with them.

They are actually pretty much redundant now anyway. Other schools have asked for whatever standardised scores and NRIT we have and they will set their classes up based on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

Really shocked they are doing that. Surprised there hasn't been a backlash from parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

Two more months of lockdown and Easter play dates on banned list as toll on children revealed

There has been a 40-50 per cent increase in Covid cases in young children since February

looks like no summer this year thanks to early school return

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/health/two-more-months-of-lockdownand-easter-play-dates-on-banned-list-as-toll-on-children-revealed-40241248.html

combat14 wrote: »
    Two more months of lockdown and Easter play dates on banned list as toll on children revealed

There has been a 40-50 per cent increase in Covid cases in young children since February

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/health/two-more-months-of-lockdownand-easter-play-dates-on-banned-list-as-toll-on-children-revealed-40241248.html

This is exactly my point. A school classroom is surely one huge play date.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

combat14 wrote: »

Early??? Are you kidding, there are still some students haven't gone back and will have had 4 months of closures by the time they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

Until the vaccination programme improves significantly in this country, nothing will change....false promises of delivery of vaccines are not what this government should be doing......especially when it can't keep those promises....cases will go up/down .....

A limerick secondary school has sent home it's 5th/6th year students because of covid outbreak in school ...hse have stated to parents work will be given online to students ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Random sample

This is exactly my point. A school classroom is surely one huge play date.

It’s not a play date though. It’s essential education.

Some students (through no fault of their teachers) have not been in contact with teachers since December. Their parents either can’t or wont encourage them to engage online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

It’s not a play date though. It’s essential education.

Some students (through no fault of their teachers) have not been in contact with teachers since December. Their parents either can’t or wont encourage them to engage online.

I think people are missing the point though.

Schools going back cause increases in cases, its not rocket science. SO just admit it.

Stop this bull of it must be something else, its not, its schools going back end of.

The vast majority of people understand this and the vast majority teachers included understand this and understand an increase in cases is a price to pay for schools going back.

So NPHET need to stop treating people like idiots and then wonder why people arent following them and giving up listening to them.

Stop with the "schools are safe bull" theyre not, they cant be! Treating people like idiots claiming play dates are the reason serves nothing only to frustrate and raise peoples suspicions

It would serve them far better to be up front, "schools are as safe as we can possibly make them but cases will and do happen but its a trade off required for childrens education"

Stop treating people like idiots and wonder why people are railing against ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

The classroom is a bit more controlled than a play date. If they play outside and keep a meter apart it is perfectly safe or safer than inside a classroom. As long as they don’t travel to the play date together. It’s hard to keep younger kids separated

quote="KathleenGrant;116696521"]This is exactly my point. A school classroom is surely one huge play date.[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

the kelt wrote: »
    I think people are missing the point though.

Schools going back cause increases in cases, its not rocket science. SO just admit it.

Stop this bull of it must be something else, its not, its schools going back end of.

The vast majority of people understand this and the vast majority teachers included understand this and understand an increase in cases is a price to pay for schools going back.

So NPHET need to stop treating people like idiots and then wonder why people arent following them and giving up listening to them.

Stop with the "schools are safe bull" theyre not, they cant be! Treating people like idiots claiming play dates are the reason serves nothing only to frustrate and raise peoples suspicions

It would serve them far better to be up front, "schools are as safe as we can possibly make them but cases will and do happen but its a trade off required for childrens education"

Stop treating people like idiots and wonder why people are railing against ye!

exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

Why don't we have a rapid testing programme similar to UK, not just for schools but community wide?

I know it's not going to catch all but it will certainly help and has a part to play in a multi solution approach.

They just keep locking down, and people no longer follow restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

P2C wrote: »
    The classroom is a bit more controlled than a play date. If they play outside and keep a meter apart it is perfectly safe or safer than inside a classroom. As long as they don’t travel to the play date together. It’s hard to keep younger kids separated

quote="KathleenGrant;116696521"]This is exactly my point. A school classroom is surely one huge play date.
    [/QUOTE]
    kids don't play 1m apart

People are missing my point. I know schools are controlled environments, i absolutely agree they are essential. But being essential does not equate with safe.

Education is not the only essential in a child's life or in a family's. I'm not just talking about children here, i am talking about parents under pressure, particularly those isolated already, single parents, working from home etc.

If it's ok to be in a room with 25-30 other people for hours at a time because it's essential why are education staff not afforded the same safety conditions as other essential workers?

Education is essential for children so they can play outsisde safely in school. But it's not safe to have an Easter Camp with 25-30 people. Physical and mental well-being is not as essential as academic?

My point was not that education should not be happening. My point was and is that if education is so essential give workers in that environment the same safety conditions as others. And if school is safe because children don't transmit the virus then let children have outside games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Just out of curiosity if any teachers could answer this for me
    . Out of all the industries and working sectors in the country right now, which should be shut down for safety reasons?

Just out of curiosity if any teachers could answer this for me
    . Out of all the industries and working sectors in the country right now, which should be shut down for safety reasons?

Why are you asking teachers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Random sample

I would imagine the vast majority here whinging are teachers. Or retired teachers.

I don’t know what you consider to be whinging, but I haven’t seen any teachers talk about shutting industries down.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

I would imagine the vast majority here whinging are teachers. Or retired teachers.

I'm a mother of two teachers................I genuinely don't see any teachers on here "whinging" only making positive comments....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

There's no way Norma didn't know...
    I very seldom comment on threads like this but i was very angry when i heard Ronan Glynn or whoever mention playdates driving up cases along with Mother's Day visits. I haven't seen my grandchildren for weeks and Mother's Day they left a card and present on the doorstep and i had a 5 minute conversation from 10 metres away.

But the playdates? I live close to our local school and what is going on in there for the last month are the biggest playdates you could have.

I can see why people are frustrated and cross. No outside Easter Camps, no playdates of 2-3 kids but schools are ok? Ok my arse.

"What's going on in there" you'd swear was a hive of criminal activity. Poor kids.
    So you'd rather your grandkids didn't go back to school yet then? So when? Cases not coming down kids missed enough in schooling now need a few weeks before they break up the summer.

I don’t know what you consider to be whinging, but I haven’t seen any teachers talk about shutting industries down.

See this is why I hold back commenting on this thread so much. The vast majority not teachers posing here want schools closed. I'm simply asking what other jobs country wide should be closed. And dont count remote learning as teaching. It's far from it and the stats will show that in years to come.

A poster here summed it up will with a quote a while back "skin in the game". A teacher made a comment on drive time yesterday evening that sums it up for me. She has decided to keep her two children home even though her school is open. That's all very well for her as I'm sure her children won't suffer any loss of schooling. And I get it. If I was teaching I would do the same. Makes absolute sense to work from home. No commute. Possibly no child minding fees. More free time to do some house work. Catch up on a box set. Which leads me to some commenting here stating that they have worked from 9am to 10pm. If thats the case and that's a big if I would suggest a career change.

See this is why I hold back commenting on this thread so much. The vast majority not teachers posing here want schools closed. I'm simply asking what other jobs country wide should be closed. And dont count remote learning as teaching. It's far from it and the stats will show that in years to come.

A poster here summed it up will with a quote a while back "skin in the game". A teacher made a comment on drive time yesterday evening that sums it up for me. She has decided to keep her two children home even though her school is open. That's all very well for her as I'm sure her children won't suffer any loss of schooling. And I get it. If I was teaching I would do the same. Makes absolute sense to work from home. No commute. Possibly no child minding fees. More free time to do some house work. Catch up on a box set. Which leads me to some commenting here stating that they have worked from 9am to 10pm. If thats the case and that's a big if I would suggest a career change.

What exact point are you trying to make? That just comes across as a rant.

You're not simply asking anything. You're trying to inflame. Your comments above show your bias.

What exact point are you trying to make? That just comes across as a rant.

Point is there is too much negativity posted on this thread. It time to suck it up and move on. Every other worker is trying their best to carry on best they can. Giving out about Government/Nephet or Norma decisions gets us nowhere. Time to get back to normal teaching standards.

Point is there is too much negativity posted on this thread. It time to suck it up and move on. Every other worker is trying their best to carry on best they can. Giving out about Government/Nephet or Norma decisions gets us nowhere. Time to get back to normal teaching standards.

You don't get to dictate to people, particularly in a sector you have very little knowledge of, about how they should feel about their working conditions. Particularly when other sectors have also raised concerns, so your "every other worker" comment comes across as ignorant at best.

You're not simply asking anything. You're trying to inflame. Your comments above show your bias.

Dont be that person. Why not just answer my original question. Is it answerable

• Registered Users Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭Christy42

Not complaining also gets us nowhere... This is a nebulous point. If you don't want to discuss it you don't have to. You could easily say the same about every thread. Stop all complaints on the Man U thread, the manager won't read it so there is no point in complaining.

This is a discussion thread, people giving their opinion, positive or negative is what happens. Neither side is likely to drive actual policy.

Dont be that person

What person?

• Advertisement

What person?

Accusing me of trying to inflame the situation. It goes against boards policy. This thread will end up like and echo chamber with no debate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement