Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until March/April? (part 4) **Mod warning in OP 22/01**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭hesaidshesaid

Point is there is too much negativity posted on this thread. It time to suck it up and move on. Every other worker is trying their best to carry on best they can. Giving out about Government/Nephet or Norma decisions gets us nowhere. Time to get back to normal teaching standards.

Not sure why someone would read the thread if they didn’t find it useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Accusing me of trying to inflame the situation. It goes against boards policy. This thread will end up like and echo chamber with no debate.

You just said that teachers should stop discussing this topic and move on and now you want it debated? Which is it?

And taking your original question, if I'm wrong, and you don't intend to inflame, why would you ask that question in a thread about school closures? What relevance does it have? Perhaps I missed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Point is there is too much negativity posted on this thread. It time to suck it up and move on. Every other worker is trying their best to carry on best they can. Giving out about Government/Nephet or Norma decisions gets us nowhere. Time to get back to normal teaching standards.

Ah c'mon now.

Yes health care workers are getting on with it. As they should. Two major differences though. They chose to work with sick people as a career and understood the risk that they may be infected by someone. And they get to wear full PPE while in work.

Yes, supermarket workers are getting on with it. As they should. Two major differences though. They are not in 20sq ft rooms for 5/6 hours a day with 30 other people not wearing masks.

Yes, meat factory workers are getting on with it. But they also wear PPE, so are protected from their colleagues.

As for every other worker? Well, the majority are WFH, and those that aren't are not stuck in small rooms with unmasked colleagues (I would hope).

So teachers are uniquely challenged here. I think its fair that they are challenging the decisions made about their working conditions. While my personal view is that children are not as infectious as adults, and therefore teachers are not at the same level of risk than if they were sharing a room with 30 other unmasked adults, I am open to being convinced otherwise.

And a discussion forum is for discussing. Don't post if you don't want to discuss the topic at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

DSN wrote: »
    "What's going on in there" you'd swear was a hive of criminal activity. Poor kids.
    So you'd rather your grandkids didn't go back to school yet then? So when? Cases not coming down kids missed enough in schooling now need a few weeks before they break up the summer.

Your first quote is not something i said all all Where did i say any of the things you wrote after after that? I never said i didn't want children in school What i said was that if it's ok to be in school it's ok for other activities. Outside games should be starting up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

So basically you are telling people to put up and shut up.

Nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Your first quote is not something i said all all Where did i say any of the things you wrote after after that? I never said i didn't want children in school What i said was that if it's ok to be in school it's ok for other activities. Outside games should be starting up again.

I think that's exactly the issue we are facing at the moment. No one believes schools to be absolutely safe (how could they be?) But people are struggling to see why, if schools are open, that activities at a similar, or maybe lesser, risk such as outdoor sports, can't go ahead, thus people are making their own calls on it and meeting up with more people, organising playdates etc.

If the Government were more explicit about the fact that they feel that opening schools is a calculated risk designed to offset the educational, societal and emotional damage of keeping them closed, they may have got more public and teacher buy in. Their incessant repetition of the meaningless "schools are safe" slogen has backfired spectacularly, both within and outside the education sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fago123

I have a daughter in 2nd class and there was a positive case within 2 weeks of her starting back and the class has been unable to return for 2 weeks. Which will now stretch to a month with Easter holidays. And to be clear I am 100% in favour of schools re-opening, children in this country have suffered enough, it's paramount they get back to a regular education & routine (and no, a couple of zoom calls a week does not cut it).

I'll never be able to wrap my head around the slipperiness of NPHET around the school re-openings. Why can't they just be straight with us? "Yes cases are up and these are a result of schools re-opening but we cannot keep children away from their right to education any longer, the disruptions have to stop". And we could take that, we could understand the risk, we're not stupid. Sure there'd be some people who say close them down, or chose to pull their children out, it's not worth the risk etc but let's have a grown up conversation about it! But no, it's playdates. PLAYDATES?!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Messi19

Dont be that person. Why not just answer my original question. Is it answerable

Feed the troll. Nom nom nom

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Just out of curiosity if any teachers could answer this for me
    . Out of all the industries and working sectors in the country right now, which should be shut down for safety reasons?
    I would imagine the vast majority here whinging are teachers. Or retired teachers.
    Dont be that person. Why not just answer my original question. Is it answerable
    Accusing me of trying to inflame the situation. It goes against boards policy. This thread will end up like and echo chamber with no debate.

Mod

Threadbanned.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0326/1206395-all-secondary-students-to-return-to-school-on-12-april/

Thanks to Emma O Kelly for confirming this to schools after they have closed for the holidays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭vid36

April 12 is a long time away.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

vid36 wrote: »
    April 12 is a long time away.

Or as a wise man once put it

S02E08-BqrPiyCv-subtitled.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭combat14

by the looks of the govt may reopen the schools, the country will have to reopen too as everyone is breaking the covid rules anyway at this stage there is no point staying shut anymore

Just something I'm wondering after shopping today. Is there a movement to refuse to wear a mask? So many people in Aldi and Tesco today without masks on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

im actually yet too see anyone not wear mask in a supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    im actually yet too see anyone not wear mask in a supermarket.

I see it in the shops every time i'm there, some staff are going over to them and telling them to put on their masks but most of the time they're just let carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    I see it in the shops every time i'm there, some staff are going over to them and telling them to put on their masks but most of the time they're just let carry on.

What are they trying to prove?

COVID WORRY Ireland ‘already in’ 4th wave of Covid as top epidemiologist warns full school reopening will cause R number to surge

"But this time around we've also got to be really more concerned about the kids themselves because the virulence rates for B117 for example, are much higher in younger age groups."

Prof Killeen said this "flies in the face of international evidence", and warned that a full reopening will cause a rise of 30 to 40 per cent in Ireland's virus reproduction number

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun.ie/news/6765295/ireland-fourth-wave-covid-19-school-surge-r-number/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

combat14 wrote: »
    COVID WORRY Ireland ‘already in’ 4th wave of Covid as top epidemiologist warns full school reopening will cause R number to surge

"But this time around we've also got to be really more concerned about the kids themselves because the virulence rates for B117 for example, are much higher in younger age groups."

Prof Killeen said this "flies in the face of international evidence", and warned that a full reopening will cause a rise of 30 to 40 per cent in Ireland's virus reproduction number

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun.ie/news/6765295/ireland-fourth-wave-covid-19-school-surge-r-number/amp/

Schools are reopening, this needs to be accepted now. They already know all this and have decided to proceed.

ICU and hospital numbers plummeting, soon case numbers won't even matter. I personally can't wait for the day that they are reported more sporadically and then not at all other than some hspc document.

Locotastic wrote: »
    Schools are reopening, this needs to be accepted now. They already know all this and have decided to proceed.

ICU and hospital numbers plummeting, soon case numbers won't even matter. I personally can't wait for the day that they are reported more sporadically and then not at all other than some hspc document.

why should it be accepted weeks in advance when some of the top experts in the country (e.g. Epidemiology expert Chair of Applied Pathogen Ecology at UCC, Professor Gerry Killeen) havent accepted it ...... 12 april is still along way away we will have to see what happens between now and then ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Fago123 wrote: »
    I have a daughter in 2nd class and there was a positive case within 2 weeks of her starting back and the class has been unable to return for 2 weeks. Which will now stretch to a month with Easter holidays. And to be clear I am 100% in favour of schools re-opening, children in this country have suffered enough, it's paramount they get back to a regular education & routine (and no, a couple of zoom calls a week does not cut it).

I'll never be able to wrap my head around the slipperiness of NPHET around the school re-openings. Why can't they just be straight with us? "Yes cases are up and these are a result of schools re-opening but we cannot keep children away from their right to education any longer, the disruptions have to stop". And we could take that, we could understand the risk, we're not stupid. Sure there'd be some people who say close them down, or chose to pull their children out, it's not worth the risk etc but let's have a grown up conversation about it! But no, it's playdates. PLAYDATES?!!?

I've said similar to friends of mine. As a state and as a society, we have to choose when to accept measured risk.
    Do we risk it for concerts? No.
    For pubs? No.
    For sports events? No.
    For holidays? No.
    For the education of the nation's children? Yeah we could go with that and keep an eye on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 aigne

I've said similar to friends of mine. As a state and as a society, we have to choose when to accept measured risk.
    Do we risk it for concerts? No.
    For pubs? No.
    For sports events? No.
    For holidays? No.
    For the education of the nation's children? Yeah we could go with that and keep an eye on it.

Why are we not doing more to manage that risk given the huge benefits of education? CO2 monitors, HEPA filters, classrooms where appropriate ventilation can not be provided to be taken out of use and alternative arrangements made, quality masks, weekly / bi-weekly antigen testing, vaccine prioritisation - all these things cost money yes but given the huge benefits of education surely worth it many many times over?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

aigne wrote: »
    Why are we not doing more to manage that risk given the huge benefits of education? CO2 monitors, HEPA filters, classrooms where appropriate ventilation can not be provided to be taken out of use and alternative arrangements made, quality masks, weekly / bi-weekly antigen testing, vaccine prioritisation - all these things cost money yes but given the huge benefits of education surely worth it many many times over?

Obviously the government/dept of educstion don't think it's worth spending money on.....

Simple answer is lack of funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

combat14 wrote: »
    why should it be accepted weeks in advance when some of the top experts in the country (e.g. Epidemiology expert Chair of Applied Pathogen Ecology at UCC, Professor Gerry Killeen) havent accepted it ......

Gerry Killeen.... Lol

TheTorment wrote: »
    Simple answer is lack of funding.

And for lack of funding you are talking about billions there. Effectively the op was talking about retrofitting all classrooms to partial cleanrooms. You would be talking easily 10-20k per room as hepa filtration on your ventilation is no use without the proper air handling systems also. Unless you want the next scare in schools to be legionnaires

• Registered Users Posts: 42 aigne

And for lack of funding you are talking about billions there. Effectively the op was talking about retrofitting all classrooms to partial cleanrooms. You would be talking easily 10-20k per room as hepa filtration on your ventilation is no use without the proper air handling systems also. Unless you want the next scare in schools to be legionnaires

So how much have we spent on preventing airborne transmission in classrooms? I think close to Zero? How much could we do with 1k per classroom? CO2 monitor is €100, HEPA filter sized for a residential room is €170, so could scale that up for a classroom. Not as good as some sort of full fancy system, but better than zero. Antigen tests are maybe €2 each or less bought at buik. A nurse to administer would cost a few thousand per week per school. Has anyone done this analysis??

As for lack of funds, we are spending a fortune on this pandemic? A billion per month on supports alone?

Again, we hear time and time again about the benefits of in person education, I cant understand the lack of willingness to put in the measures to keep them open ?

So how much have we spent on preventing airborne transmission in classrooms? I think close to Zero? How much could we do with 1k per classroom? CO2 monitor is €100, HEPA filter sized for a residential room is €170, so could scale that up for a classroom. Not as good as some sort of full fancy system, but better than zero. Antigen tests are maybe €2 each or less bought at buik. A nurse to administer would cost a few thousand per week per school. Has anyone done this analysis??

As for lack of funds, we are spending a fortune on this pandemic? A billion per month on supports alone?

Again, we hear time and time again about the benefits of in person education, I cant understand the lack of willingness to put in the measures to keep them open ?

I regularly have to buy Art/Science supplies from my own pocket to use in my classroom as there is no funding for it within our school above a very basic allowance.

Almost everything we need for our school has to be paid for through fund raising of some type.

If the Dept won't pay for everyday running of schools they're not going to fund the items you have mentioned.

.....especially when schools are safe :rolleyes:

The “home” filters are about as much use as a fan. For proper hepa ventilation the room must be close to a closed system

• Advertisement

TheTorment wrote: »
    I regularly have to buy Art/Science supplies from my own pocket to use in my classroom as there is no funding for it within our school above a very basic allowance.

:

I refuse to spend on cent on school. If it isn't there then we do without.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement