Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until March/April? (part 4) **Mod warning in OP 22/01**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Stateofyou wrote: »
    I downloaded the BUA NA CAINTE as recommended here to help with Irish. It was disappointing to see there's absolutely no English translations, even starting at the most beginning level.

Can any teacher here recommend a good resource for Irish learning that would also have the English translations?

Yes they're very keen to encourage lessons taught completely in Irish, English translations are generally a no no.

Have you watched a few of the video lessons? I find generally you can pick up what the topic is about from visual cues. They tend to repeat what they're saying a lot. Also worth downloading material from the class below - so if your child is 3rd I'd get the 2nd programme - and they might enjoy teaching you bits and pieces.

If you've specific questions like what each topic means on the menu screen/how does the child do different activities I'd be happy to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

If you have an inspection you have to teach without a word of the "foreign" language used. Google translate is probably your best best to thrown text in to get it translated.

Just goes to show that classroom resources aren't always ideal for home schooling where there is an assumption that parents will be able to teach the material. We don't speak Irish either so we are lost. We ended up using Duolingo last year, the teacher said it was fine as long as the child was doing some Irish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Yes they're very keen to encourage lessons taught completely in Irish, English translations are generally a no no.

Have you watched a few of the video lessons? I find generally you can pick up what the topic is about from visual cues. They tend to repeat what they're saying a lot. Also worth downloading material from the class below - so if your child is 3rd I'd get the 2nd programme - and they might enjoy teaching you bits and pieces.

If you've specific questions like what each topic means on the menu screen/how does the child do different activities I'd be happy to help.

Thanks for the offer! Will certainly keep that in mind. It's a long while since we were in school so I'm afraid Irish is difficult going for us. We all lived abroad a few years as well so my kids are catching up. They're doing brilliant at it in school but we won't be able to help much at home. I did watch a few of the lessons, of course some of it is obvious but there was some things I didn't remember even at that level. It's great to have we certainly didn't have that when we were in school but without the English translation it's difficult and very very slow going looking everything up, figuring out pronunciations too. Ah well, we'll battle on..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Thanks for the offer! Will certainly keep that in mind. It's a long while since we were in school so I'm afraid Irish is difficult going for us. We all lived abroad a few years as well so my kids are catching up. They're doing brilliant at it in school but we won't be able to help much at home. I did watch a few of the lessons, of course some of it is obvious but there was some things I didn't remember even at that level. It's great to have we certainly didn't have that when we were in school but without the English translation it's difficult and very very slow going looking everything up, figuring out pronunciations too. Ah well, we'll battle on..

Do you know who Conradh na Gaeilge are? They're basically set up to promote Irish. I'd get in touch with them, explain that you're looking for a book/app/something to learn Irish as a foreign language learner. Emphasise that you want something with English translations and ideally for kids.

They run a shop in Dublin so they might have some suitable bits for you. Unfortunately with the way teaching Irish is set up here and how use of English is discouraged, I just don't know of resources with English translations. I know older kids sometimes use Duolingo so depending on the age of your children that might suit?

Also I really really wouldn't stress about the Irish - don't make it into a chore for yourself. Even if you stuck them in front of TG4s kids programmes, that will help get the language 'on the ear'. Or look up the words for colours/days of the week and play games with them at home. Battleships with words, hide them round the house...Anything.

I made a daily phrase PowerPoint for my class last year - it did have English phonetic approximations and translations - and if you PM me, I'm happy to give you access to it. It isn't anything fancy, just different conversational phrases. Good to have them up to speed on those, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

jrosen wrote: »
    I actually support live lessons. I don’t think they are needed for every single class every single day but I do think they are an important part of learning

I think there will be a cohort that that will suit but I also think there will be a cohort who it genuinely won’t suit. Be it due to work commitments , number of children , age of children and level of support required. For those it won’t suit it will increase the stress and hassle already experienced by families trying to engage with remote learning.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Do you know who Conradh na Gaeilge are? They're basically set up to promote Irish. I'd get in touch with them, explain that you're looking for a book/app/something to learn Irish as a foreign language learner. Emphasise that you want something with English translations and ideally for kids.

They run a shop in Dublin so they might have some suitable bits for you. Unfortunately with the way teaching Irish is set up here and how use of English is discouraged, I just don't know of resources with English translations. I know older kids sometimes use Duolingo so depending on the age of your children that might suit?

Also I really really wouldn't stress about the Irish - don't make it into a chore for yourself. Even if you stuck them in front of TG4s kids programmes, that will help get the language 'on the ear'. Or look up the words for colours/days of the week and play games with them at home. Battleships with words, hide them round the house...Anything.

I made a daily phrase PowerPoint for my class last year - it did have English phonetic approximations and translations - and if you PM me, I'm happy to give you access to it. It isn't anything fancy, just different conversational phrases. Good to have them up to speed on those, though.

Fantastic ideas, will be taking on board all of them, thank you!
    Will PM you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Hmmmmmmmmmm

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/kerryman/news/students-living-in-limbo-and-need-clarity-urgently-39183684.html?fbclid=IwAR1bIQoCw4L8InWm3HPkyg-cip7VatSSP1y6nesNhXLDy6tz4ErqS3tIfDo

Kerry Fianna Fáil TD Norma Foley has called for urgent clarification from the Government and the Department of Education about plans for this year's delayed Leaving Cert exams.

Deputy Foley - a teacher at Presentation Secondary School in Tralee - says she has been 'inundated' with calls from students, parents and teachers who are deeply concerned about how the exams will be run.

The Tralee based TD raised a number of serious concerns about the plans for the exams including how marks for practical exams will be applied and how exams that are typically over two hours long will be conducted under current restrictions that place strict time limits on large gatherings.

Deputy Foley said the ongoing lack of clarity over the exams is placing students under extreme stress and anxiety.

"Leaving Cert students are currently experiencing unnecessarily heightened levels of stress and anxiety due to a lack of preparedness and planning by the Department of Education some eight weeks after schools closed," she said.

Deputy Foley said it is 'inexcusable' that students are being forced to prepare for their exams in an information vacuum.

"There is absolutely no clarity for students as to how exactly the Leaving Cert exams will operate. Amazingly, the only information currently to hand is the July 29 date, nothing more" she claimed.

The Kerry TD has highlighted a myriad of concerns Minister for Education Joe McHugh.

Her concerns include the following issues among many others.

As public health measures advise that no gathering of people can extend beyond two hours does that mean that all subject exams will be for a maximum of 120mins?

If so and if a two hour exam time frame is to be the norm what exactly will be examined in each subject and will all typical exam topics appear on the paper allowing students to select their preferences?

Deputy Foley also asked what plans are in place for students and teachers who may have underlying health conditions and what measures are in place to handle a situation if a student or supervisor takes ill?

If that were to occur she asked if all those in the exam centre be required to be tested and to self-isolate.

Minister McHugh was also asked to concede that it is now "neither fair nor possible" for practical, project and coursework to be examined at this stage and that full marks for these tests should be awarded as was the case for practical elements of the music and Irish and foreign language orals.

"Students deserve equal treatment and consequently full marks should be awarded in subjects with a practical element," said Deputy Foley.

With regard to the results Deputy Foley asked what provision is being made for students who have been awarded places to study abroad from August and who do not have the option to defer?

"Leaving Cert students are currently living in a state of Limbo. In the interest of the health and well-being of all concerned now is the time for full disclosure of plans by the Department of Education. Students, parents and teachers deserve nothing less" concluded Deputy Foley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Deputy Foley is asking a lot of questions.
    Could somebody tell her she's supposed to be the minister who provides the answers? Like that's actually her job?

juneg wrote: »
    Could somebody tell her she's supposed to be the minister who provides the answers? Like that's actually her job?

That was back in May 2020. She hadn't been appointed Minister then.

I wonder if she knew how safe schools were though....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

juneg wrote: »

Look at the date. This was when there still wasn't a proper government. Just the carry over from the previous one while talks were ongoing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Just in relation to live lessons. I teach in a 5 teacher school. Principal wanted us to do zoom calls every day to each class as that is what the department want. Daily contact. Well according to her anyway. However all the teachers refused this as it would never work for parents. So we compromised and I myself have said I will do 2 per week. I sent out an email yesterday to my parents setting out the plan going forward. I have heard back from 9 out of 25 parents and the zoom calls suit 2. This was to be expected due to work and other commitments. I have no problem with it. People will do what suits them. Also backs up the argument that live does not suit a lot of people.

I have a junior infant and a 1st class child here. They attend the school in which I teach. We received an email from the school yesterday stating that all children were expected to be at the table from 9am to either 1.40 or 2.40. And to only take breaks as they normally would in school. I mean seriously? How out of touch are some teachers!! But I am not one bit surprised by this. I can't wait to see how things are going forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

W conducted a survey of parents, students, teachers going into summer regarding remote learning.

Parents wanted live to mimic the day. Students wanted mix of some live, some prerecorded so that they could use them for revision. All special needs or additional needs said they couldn't keep up with live, wanted prerecorded. Teachers wanted a mix of recorded and live.

So the people actually engaging in the process understood a mix worked best. Our boss then comes on on Friday and says everyone live, even if the live is to say "hi" and then press play on the video.

This therefore shows that the DES don't trust teachers to do the work. This is fine, but then by the same token why don't they just supply an actual curriculum and templates for planning, pick platforms and procedures. It's cake and wanting it too that makes it awkward for no reason.

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Just in relation to live lessons. I teach in a 5 teacher school. Principal wanted us to do zoom calls every day to each class as that is what the department want. Daily contact. Well according to her anyway. However all the teachers refused this as it would never work for parents. So we compromised and I myself have said I will do 2 per week. I sent out an email yesterday to my parents setting out the plan going forward. I have heard back from 9 out of 25 parents and the zoom calls suit 2. This was to be expected due to work and other commitments. I have no problem with it. People will do what suits them. Also backs up the argument that live does not suit a lot of people.

I have a junior infant and a 1st class child here. They attend the school in which I teach. We received an email from the school yesterday stating that all children were expected to be at the table from 9am to either 1.40 or 2.40. And to only take breaks as they normally would in school. I mean seriously? How out of touch are some teachers!! But I am not one bit surprised by this. I can't wait to see how things are going forward.

And this is a colleague of yours.

I won't be doing anything of great substance on zoom until I see what the attendance is like. I don't want to be creating a divide within the class between those who can login and those who can't. Prerecorded videos for maths is perfect and means we can still manage to have constant progression.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

I won't be doing anything of great substance on zoom until I see what the attendance is like. I don't want to be creating a divide within the class between those who can login and those who can't. Prerecorded videos for maths is perfect and means we can still manage to have constant progression.

We've been given a 'live lesson' timetable to follow. Dunno how it's going to go. Have tried a few presentations and video shares today and results are mixed. If the recipient is on poor broadband their received video is choppy and freezes a lot. Rural areas are going to be very difficult.

The attendance will prob be about 60%ish so some will miss out.

The desire for live lessons makes sense if we have the infrastructure to carry it, we don't.

My boss!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Last time I ran my own stuff as learning support like I do in school, while complementing the class stuff/ I was able to do extra over the phoone for some of the kids and give extra time to those when needed.

This time they want SET to step in for class teachers if they are sick and also run their own stuff. So that could mean a minimum 56 students for me to accomodate. That is a lot of correcting and feedback. I will be giving my view on this next week.

My boss!

Obviously doesn't listen or take on board what staff and home says will work.

I will do the zooms just to say hi to the kids. I have also offered to do small group maths lessons for the kids to go over some things they were struggling with before Christmas. But I do fully agree if all cant attend it will be problematic...but as its revision it would mean I could do some now with the kids and they can work independently when we are back in the classroom while I do the work with the others then....

Realistically when do people think we will be back in the classroom?

Obviously doesn't listen or take on board what staff and home says will work.

Nope! My kids don't exist in their eyes. But im over it now. I work hard and do what's best for my own kids in school and have a good relationship with the parents and I won't be putting any stress on anyone.

I will do the zooms just to say hi to the kids. I have also offered to do small group maths lessons for the kids to go over some things they were struggling with before Christmas. But I do fully agree if all cant attend it will be problematic...but as its revision it would mean I could do some now with the kids and they can work independently when we are back in the classroom while I do the work with the others then....

Realistically when do people think we will be back in the classroom?

February 22nd at the earliest and I think that will be a stretch as well.

I hope we have a miracle and it's earlier but you have to listen to what's being said about things other than education. Leo had been talking about businesses needing to be prepared to be shut until the end of March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I'd shoot them all

They can pay for their own bullets too

Nope! My kids don't exist in their eyes. But im over it now. I work hard and do what's best for my own kids in school and have a good relationship with the parents and I won't be putting any stress on anyone.

I'm 100% firmly in that camp as well. Not my job to be adding additional anxiety onto children or parents over primary school.

I said it in the previous thread. I have a kid this year who has missed approximately 2yrs of primary school due to health issues. You wouldn't think it at all.

February 22nd at the earliest and I think that will be a stretch as well.

I hope we have a miracle and it's earlier but you have to listen to what's being said about things other than education. Leo had been talking about businesses needing to be prepared to be shut until the end of March.

I know I am probably living in a dream world. I am hoping against hope that we will be back on the 1st but thats not going to happen! But God I hope we're back around midterm then...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭amacca

khalessi wrote: »
    Last time I ran my own stuff as learning support like I do in school, while complementing the class stuff/ I was able to do extra over the phoone for some of the kids and give extra time to those when needed.

This time they want SET to step in for class teachers if they are sick and also run their own stuff. So that could mean a minimum 56 students for me to accomodate. That is a lot of correcting and feedback. I will be giving my view on this next week.

That's unrealistic.....teachers shoukd stop being doormats imo

Do your job to the best of your ability but the shortcomings and inadequacies of the system caused by underfunding and poor management will just persist if teachers keep papering over the cracks and implementing unworkable instructions from a centralised top down system pushing a community/autonomy model but behaving and taking decisions the exact opposite way (unless it means a load of extra unnecessary admin and "meetings" where the usual blowhards get to listen to themselves) and also increasingly out of touch mildly brainwashed manager types dazzled with academic tracking and the like but having to be dragged kicking and screaming to do anything meaningful about discipline issues (something that might actually have the biggest impact on increasing academic standards).......the you know best what works in your classroom and school is a community line accompanied by silly unworkable instructions and not listening to what staff at all when it doesnt suit should be wearing thin

It's high time the problems were left at the doors of the causes of the problems imo

I'm 100% firmly in that camp as well. Not my job to be adding additional anxiety onto children or parents over primary school.

I said it in the previous thread. I have a kid this year who has missed approximately 2yrs of primary school due to health issues. You wouldn't think it at all.

No I don't think so either. I know education is important but at this age they will catch up. Some people have real worries now. A lot of people around where I live are sick and some are dying from this. People have financial problems, job losses or extra work stresses so if putting on Homeschool Hub for 2 hours works for you then who am I to say different. I plan to do exactly that with my 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

amacca wrote: »
    That's unrealistic.....teachers shoukd stop being doormats imo

Do your job to the best of your ability but the shortcomings and inadequacies of the system caused by underfunding and poor management will just persist if teachers keep papering over the cracks and implementing unworkable instructions from a centralised top down systems pushing a community/autonomy model but behaving and taking decisions the exact opposite way and increasingly out of touch mildly brainwashed manager types.......the you know best what works 8n your classroom line accompanied by silly unworkable instructions should be wearing thin

It's high time the problems were left at the doors of the causes of the problems imo

Ahh I think they are panicking incase someone gets sick with Covid. I'm just going to say it will have to work like school, If I am in class I dont work with my groups.

I will actually suggest they get a sub if it is more than a few days, it is not sustainable to be taking from the kids who need it most.

Has any other school suddenly had the word "co-teaching" suddenly dropped on them?

Message from our principal today and wants SET co-teaching so that if the class teacher gets sick they take over. Am I wrong in thinking that this is completely wrong? If a class teacher was to get sick then a sub takes over. Shouldn't this still be the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I think it's very hard for teachers to get it right. Some parents will be very under-impressed if their child's teacher isn't firing on all cylinders and other parents and students will be stressed to high heaven by the very same thing. I don't have a high opinion of remote teaching from a whole class perspective but it's not at all the teachers that are lacking imo. It's just problematic when you try and inflict the classroom on the home. Parents educate their children all the time but in a very organic way not with forced formality and strict schedules.That can have the effect of damaging the parent child relationship. That's just my little rant but regardless we just have to keep doing the best we can and look forward hopefully.

No I don't think so either. I know education is important but at this age they will catch up. Some people have real worries now. A lot of people around where I live are sick and some are dying from this. People have financial problems, job losses or extra work stresses so if putting on Homeschool Hub for 2 hours works for you then who am I to say different. I plan to do exactly that with my 2.

I'm incorporating one or two parts of school hub into each day if I think it's appropriate and worthwhile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Deeec

If only Norma and the DES had the sense to sit down during the summer/autumn with representative teachers, principals, parents and students to find out what works and doesn't work in relation to remote learning. From the posts on here it's obvious that once again there are varied approaches being taken by different schools.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement