Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Masters 10/01/21 -17/01/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Jason “thank you very much indeed” Mohammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,813 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Wishox wrote: »
    Cheaters never win

Wikipedia have him down as winning 30 ranking tournaments including the world championship 4 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Great result - always nice to see a new name on a big trophy. One to watch for the Worlds!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,981 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Put that trophy down. I can see an accident coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Wishox

Good job lad, well done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭waynescales1

The Masters trophy is quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Delighted for Yan. Yan held himself together so well throughout this final. As I was saying earlier it's all about psychology at this high level of the game and Higgins came up short in that department tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Really enjoyed that final, Yan was excellent and he’s definitely one to watch going forward

Lovely to see that... Yan happy with his thoroughly deserved victory...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Blur on the way out. Unusual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Nothing against higgins, that he's still a force at the top is a credit to him but you want to see the young stagers coming through to push their way to the front. Law of the jungle and all that. Long time waiting for a new chinese rival to ding and its possible this lad might go on to be better. Certainly fancy him to win a world title ever before ding anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Ronnie with his Inbetweeners movie routine interviewing Yan was quite something.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Yea Ronnie was just shy of doing the eyes!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

zuutroy wrote: »
    Ronnie with his Inbetweeners movie routine interviewing Yan was quite something.
    BullBauld wrote: »
    Yea Ronnie was just shy of doing the eyes!

Cheers, I missed that so rewound it. Really weird.

Very good tournament, would have been great to have a crowd there (though obviously could have been completely different outcomes from the start).
    Thought we might get another 12.30 finish like Trump/Robertson at the UK.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Least they could have done was have a professional interpreter on hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,868 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Yay for Yan! Really delighted for him and hopefully he can push on from here. It'll be interesting to see how far he can go in the upcoming World Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Very good tournament, would have been great to have a crowd there (though obviously could have been completely different outcomes from the start).
    Thought we might get another 12.30 finish like Trump/Robertson at the UK.

Really the BBC have got some value out of their three tournaments under lockdown since Sheffield started at the end of July. Some of the best matches/days of drama you'd see in any sport. I'd say they must be delighted how these tournaments have gone all in all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Blur on the way out. Unusual
    yes but the good sort of unusual

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭mistermiyagi

Really the BBC have got some value out of their three tournaments under lockdown since Sheffield started at the end of July. Some of the best matches/days of drama you'd see in any sport. I'd say they must be delighted how these tournaments have gone all in all.

Definitely. And some of the most sensational frames you could wish to see. Wilson/Mcgill decider, Ronnie/Selby decider, Judd/Robertson decider, frame 9 tonight.
    The likes of Parrott and Davis definitely don't watch a whole lot outside their own tournaments though. I think I heard Davis question whether Yan would be a top 16 at Sheffield. He's world no 11, and just won the masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Definitely. And some of the most sensational frames you could wish to see. Wilson/Mcgill decider, Ronnie/Selby decider, Judd/Robertson decider, frame 9 tonight.
    The likes of Parrott and Davis definitely don't watch a whole lot outside their own tournaments though. I think I heard Davis question whether Yan would be a top 16 at Sheffield. He's world no 11, and just won the masters.
    no ranking points for the masters, just the big pay cheque

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The Masters trophy is quality.

I prefered the gold one Hendry was allowed to keep. It was be far the classiest looking trophy.

The way yan plays he could be around for another 25 years of top snooker like John Higgins. Yan seems to have a bit of humour about him as well, despite his limited English.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

oops :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,704 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

So Hendry says he may play in the Welsh but also that he hasn't been practising. :confused:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/snooker/2021/0118/1190382-hendry-delays-return-to-avoid-embarrassing-himself/

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mrunsure

I think I heard Davis question whether Yan would be a top 16 at Sheffield. He's world no 11, and just won the masters.

That's not as silly as it sounds. Yan had a poor season before the Masters so could drop out of the top 16 seeds if other players do much better than him in the forthcoming tournaments. He's currently only 18th on the one year list so might not qualify for the Players' Championship, and therefore miss out on the substantial ranking points on offer there, which would further reduce chances of being seeded for Sheffield.

Anything is possible and being out of german masters doesnt help, but would be amazed if yan was out of top 16 come the worlds. Has a near 80k cushion between him and 17th spot and not a lot of points to drop, so very hard to see 6 players passing him before then, however many tournaments to play. Would definitely like to qualify for players to make sure and not too many opportunities left to do that, it has to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭tanko

Did anyone else think that the pockets especially the corner pockets were playing very generously to put it mildly this week or was i just imagining that a lot of balls looked like there was no way they were going in on the way to the pocket, hit the jaws a couple of times and dropped.
    There was a lot of centuries this week, i didn't think the overall standard of play was anything out of the ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Lots of dubious ones sliding in off the jaws alright. Dale said it a couple of times.

Been like that the last few comps I've watched - whether it's different cushions/cloth/angle-pocket configuration; or whatever, it does seem like a lot are going in that have no right to... If that's the case I suppose it's no harm to 'vary conditions' a tad - in football the ground be's different depending on the weather, and the dimensions can be slightly different from one pitch to another (GAA anyway - not sure about soccer)..

But; conditions varied comp to comp, or no; it's only fair imo that all the tables ('outside' ones too) in the individual competitions play the same...

I think its likely mostly due to the slickness of the cloths, balls tend to slide in as opposed to rattling and staying out. The "bump" on the pocket is slightly less sharp than previously to accommodate the ultra thin cloths. I'm far from an expert admittedly but thats my understanding anyway. I think the rasson tables they use for champion of champions are the most generous of all and i dont know when the current deal with star is up, but it wouldn't surprise me to see rasson taking over the full tour sometime soon.

Dont think you can ever get 2 tables exactly the same, so many outside factors can affect conditions in different ways. Witness how many players dont love playing in china because of erratic table conditions or the table at the crucible (no.2 i think) that invariably seems to be bedevilled by big bounces off the cushions every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭AllForIt

tanko wrote: »
    Did anyone else think that the pockets especially the corner pockets were playing very generously to put it mildly this week or was i just imagining that a lot of balls looked like there was no way they were going in on the way to the pocket, hit the jaws a couple of times and dropped.
    There was a lot of centuries this week, i didn't think the overall standard of play was anything out of the ordinary.

Yes I did notice now that you mention it. Particularly when Gilbert was playing in his last match. His sighting of the angles was a bit off in that match and maybe that's why it was noticeable as he wasn't potting balls as cleanly as he might.

I think the overall problem is consistency. So it doesn't really matter as long as it doesn't get too ridiculous, just that what you get is consistent. In respect of pocket give anyway, some things will always vary slightly due to conditions.

Advertisement