Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injecting cattle pre slaughter

Options
  • 08-01-2021 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I remember back in the 80's the local meat factory selecting some cattle, usually small thick heifers in the lairage and injecting them in the vein with something. I believe it was to tenderize the beef. Does anyone know what the product might have been or is it still even legal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,066 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

erada wrote: »
    I remember back in the 80's the local meat factory selecting some cattle, usually small thick heifers in the lairage and injecting them in the vein with something. I believe it was to tenderize the beef. Does anyone know what the product might have been or is it still even legal?

Never heard of that but you can be sure it ain’t
    Legal now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

I heard an older farmer talking about it before,

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Pre-slaughter injection of sodium ascorbate in order to prevent brown colouration of meat that occurs as it ages.

Advertisement