Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maximum tax relief on pension contributions

• 08-01-2021 4:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭

Hi,

Probably a silly question but just wanted clarification if possible.

I’m in the 30 to 39 year of age bracket so I can receive tax relief on my occupational pension scheme through work so long as I’m contributing 20% of my salary to the pension.

At the moment, I pay 5% employee, the employer pays 7%. Am I correct I can only pay 8% AVC as this totals to 20% or perhaps the employer continuations aren’t included in the calculations under this Revenue rule?

Thank you,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Green Mile wrote: »
    Hi,

I’m in the 30 to 39 year of age bracket so I can receive tax relief on my occupational pension scheme through work so long as I’m contributing 20% of my salary to the pension.

At the moment, I pay 5% employee, the employer pays 7%. Am I correct I can only pay 8% AVC as this totals to 20% or perhaps the employer continuations aren’t included in the calculations under this Revenue rule?

Thank you,

It depends on whether it is a standard occupational pension scheme or something like a PRSA that your company is contributing towards. Employer contributions must be factored in for the limit with a PRSA but not with an occupational scheme.

In summary: it depends :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Green Mile wrote: »
    Hi,

Thank you,

I think you can pay an additional 15% avc. I am maxed out percentage wise on AVCs myself and the employer puts their bit in aswell. It's all working fine. Free money

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

bilbot79 wrote: »
    I think you can pay an additional 15% avc. I am maxed out percentage wise on AVCs myself and the employer puts their bit in aswell. It's all working fine. Free money

And that goes up with time, 15% is up to age 29 (you can actually go up to 20% on 1st January in the year that you turn 30, not after you've turned 30)

Advertisement