Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

46 houses in Mungret sold for €11m

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Jane98 wrote: »
    https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/600130/forty-six-limerick-homes-sell-for-11m.html

A whole estate of 46 houses being allocated straight to people on the Limerick City and Council waiting list. Any thoughts?

46 Mill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Says 11 million there in the headline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

An entire estate of social housing?

Could be a Regeneration area by 2035.

The model doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Tiobkuhi

Can’t place the estate. Where about a is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Tiobkuhi wrote: »
    Can’t place the estate. Where about a is it?

Mungret Gate I believe, the houses nearer the roundabout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Mungret Gate I believe, the houses nearer the roundabout.

I know a few people who pulled out of buying there a few months back, as it was going to be 25-50% social housing at that time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

https://propertypriceregisterireland.com/details/1_to_27_53_to_71_baunacloka_heights_mungret_gate_baunacloka_co_limerick_ireland-472438/

That says 12.66 million there. I wonder who will buy houses 28 to 52 and how much they will pay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭PearseCork92

Jimbob1977 wrote: »

The model doesn't work.

Housing co-operatives such as this one usually provide a mixture of tenures, from shared equity in the property to straight-up affordable rental. Similar to Scandinavia(a relative of mine lived in a similar set-up there before purchasing his home), there will be a resident board managing the estate with the co-op.

I don't think it's right conflating this model with social housing, and even though probably most of the people availing of this will be from the housing list.

There's an awful amount of snobbery attached to non-market solutions to the housing crunch. People deserve a shot at a stable life out of the jaws of the private rental sector. It's time to give schemes like this a chance and to leave prejudices at the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭mart 23

I imagine that a lot of the tenants for these houses will come from the Mungret and Raheen area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/600130/forty-six-limerick-homes-sell-for-11m.html

A whole estate of 46 houses being allocated straight to people on the Limerick City and Council waiting list. Any thoughts?

Have you any thoughts OP?

• Advertisement

Have you any thoughts OP?

I live in the local area and would have some concern that it might bring some antisocial behavior to the area but hope not.
    I would like to know how the cooperative pick the families seeing as it says that they assess and interview the families.

I live in the local area and would have some concern that it might bring some antisocial behavior to the area but hope not.
    I would like to know how the cooperative pick the families seeing as it says that they assess and interview the families.

Well, it's essentially a private purchase by the housing cooperative just like any other so you'll get no say in the matter. I don't get to vet my neighbours either. If Osama Bin Laden purchased the house opposite mine, that's the way things are.

As I said in the above post, there's an unfounded snobbery attached to affordable housing schemes. There's a valley of the peeping windows element to attitudes sometimes.

If there's one thing about Irish people I explain to foreigners; it's that they're never finished giving out about their neighbours and they all secretly wish they lived on a mansion on a ranch like JR Ewing from Dallas in the middle of nowhere, but with all the conveniences and services of a city.

Well, it's essentially a private purchase by the housing cooperative just like any other so you'll get no say in the matter. I don't get to vet my neighbours either. If Osama Bin Laden purchased the house opposite mine, that's the way things are.

As I said in the above post, there's an unfounded snobbery attached to affordable housing schemes. There's a valley of the peeping windows element to attitudes sometimes.

If there's one thing about Irish people I explain to foreigners; it's that they're never finished giving out about their neighbours and they all secretly wish they lived on a mansion on a ranch like JR Ewing from Dallas in the middle of nowhere, but with all the conveniences and services of a city.

Believe me when I say that I'm far from a snob. When I read this story I cant help but be reminded of the mistakes that Dublin City Council made in the 80s by moving large tranches of people off the housing lists into brand new housing estates in the suburbs such as Ballymun and Clondalkin.

Believe me when I say that I'm far from a snob. When I read this story I cant help but be reminded of the mistakes that Dublin City Council made in the 80s by moving large tranches of people off the housing lists into brand new housing estates in the suburbs such as Ballymun and Clondalkin.

This isn't a council development, nor is it managed by the council. It's a private purchase of 46 units by a housing co-operative and will end-up a mixed-tenure area in a mature suburban part of Limerick.

In no way comparable to Ballymun in any reasonable sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Marty1983

Very large development dominated with social housing. If this is correctly managed and the houses allocated to the right applicants this could be successful.

Does anyone know what type of houses? Just standard 3 bed semi's or a mix?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

"David Ryan, CHI area housing services manager west / south, said they are all three bedroom abodes with a mix of semi-detached and terraced."

If you open the link on the 1st post you can see what info is available ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Marty1983 wrote: »
    Very large development dominated with social housing. If this is correctly managed and the houses allocated to the right applicants this could be successful.

Does anyone know what type of houses? Just standard 3 bed semi's or a mix?

Are they affordable houses or house for HAP I wonder?
    If it's the former then there's one in Westport where they built 50 houses maybe 15 years ago. Good few of my friends bought them and it was a big success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭boetstark

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    I know a few people who pulled out of buying there a few months back, as it was going to be 25-50% social housing at that time

Correct. Baunacloka heights it's called. 46 units in addition to the normal 20% to council. We live nearby and 200 high density social and affordable behind us.
    It was a lovely area. A ghetto in a few years. Local government ****s things up again

This isn't a council development, nor is it managed by the council. It's a private purchase of 46 units by a housing co-operative and will end-up a mixed-tenure area in a mature suburban part of Limerick.

In no way comparable to Ballymun in any reasonable sense.

Co op housing. Have a read about the one in Shannon and tell me it will be grand

yop wrote: »
    Are they affordable houses or house for HAP I wonder?
    If it's the former then there's one in Westport where they built 50 houses maybe 15 years ago. Good few of my friends bought them and it was a big success.

I think they are only rented tp the tenants. I have no idea if they might be given the chance to buy/own them at some stage.

• Advertisement

Aw go away will you snobbery my hole. You and you lefty let's all live together rubbish.
    We moved here in 2001 and until I could find work in my profession nothing affordable or social was offered to us.
    These housing schemes for years have shown they invariably turn into ****holes.
    Limerick Council have just written 60k off our house value. A house paid for by hardwork not handed to affordable or whatever poncey name you want to put on it.
    I find the people that advocate let's all live happily together are ones that don't have to practise what they preach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,778 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, do we even know where this is happening exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Jimbob1977 wrote:

The model doesn't work.

It could work if the councils were allowed to kick out anti social tenants.
    If your kids living in your sister house cause havoc, then you lose your right to live in a state funded house and you have just chosen to become homeless and forfeit your right to state funded housing.

That would cure our social housing problems overnight.

There's one important reason of several reasons that private buyers choose where they buy. It's that they want to live in a place that they know their neighbours are also invested in the same desire to live in a safe place for their family.

Not saying that that's the way it works out, but by and large it works out like that.

What doesn't work is creating potential ghettos that are also potential fine council housing estates, but then allowing them to fester into anti social cesspits because the homeless industry makes such a noise that people can't kicked out.

Of course there will be the argument that it can happen in private estates also. But the only example of that I can think of is from the film, "The General"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

A lot of tunes would be changed if people here had actually bought in this estate. What a shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Marty1983

I think they are only rented tp the tenants. I have no idea if they might be given the chance to buy/own them at some stage.

The way housing bodies normally work is they link in with the Council for nominations to the properties. So if they had say 50 houses, they would ask the council for the top 100 people on the housing list and interview them deciding after which 50 get the houses.
    My experience with a housing body in another county is that tenant purchase is not an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭adaminho

235,000 per house on average? That's insane
    Have you priced a new build around Limerick?

adaminho wrote: »
    Have you priced a new build around Limerick?

Should have been more clear - I meant insanely low (for the price of a new build in Limerick)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Wait until they hear about Irish Cement...

Granadino wrote: »
    Wait until they hear about Irish Cement...

Tell us

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Irish Cement were looking for a permit to burn other types of fuel, I think including rubbish? Someone from the area might be better to fill you in. There was also something about red dust coming from it.

MarkR wrote: »
    Irish Cement were looking for a permit to burn other types of fuel, I think including rubbish? Someone from the area might be better to fill you in. There was also something about red dust coming from it.

Were they looking to incinerated used tyres I thinkni remember something about that from a few years back

There's a thread all about it. How come they built the factory so close to those houses....

Should have been more clear - I meant insanely low (for the price of a new build in Limerick)

Add 13.5% VAT as they are new builds, brings them up to 270,000 odd which is about right if you assume there was a discount on them.

Not sure why this is news either. There has been a Rebuilding Ireland sign outside Mungret Gate for nearly 2 years. This section was built specifically for social housing under that scheme, another one being the place out the Clonmacken Road. It was built specifically for the Cooperative Housing Ireland Society, they didn’t just swoop in and buy them before they came to the market.

PS 46 is just the first part of Baunacloka Heights for social housing, there’s an additional 25 to be purchased too.

• Advertisement

There's a thread all about it. How come they built the factory so close to those houses....

It's a 50 year old cement factory. They have applied for a licence to burn 60 waste products including tyres, paint, animal waste. Council and board pleannala gave permission its appealed to epa at present. When they were using fossil fuels same kilns were spewing dust over our houses regularly. Now they want to use them for incineration.
    Mungret raheen used to be a lovely area. It didn't even require a local guards station. It's gonna be a hellhole in 10 years.
    Irish politicians and civil servants have a unique skill at wreaking things.

Add 13.5% VAT as they are new builds, brings them up to 270,000 odd which is about right if you assume there was a discount on them.

Not sure why this is news either. There has been a Rebuilding Ireland sign outside Mungret Gate for nearly 2 years. This section was built specifically for social housing under that scheme, another one being the place out the Clonmacken Road. It was built specifically for the Cooperative Housing Ireland Society, they didn’t just swoop in and buy them before they came to the market.

PS 46 is just the first part of Baunacloka Heights for social housing, there’s an additional 25 to be purchased too.

I live nearby, is it another 26 for local authority or Co op housing getting another 26. And a big social housing estate going at rear of Grange, might not get planning though

boetstark wrote: »
    I live nearby, is it another 26 for local authority or Co op housing getting another 26. And a big social housing estate going at rear of Grange, might not get planning though

The other 26 is for the same cooperative. The full list is here... rebuildingireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Construction-Status-Report-Q2-2020.pdf

These 46+25 are at the back of the new part of the Grange. Are you sure you’re not mixing up the two? There is no other planning application in for anywhere else near The Grange.

The other 26 is for the same cooperative. The full list is here... rebuildingireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Construction-Status-Report-Q2-2020.pdf

These 46+25 are at the back of the new part of the Grange. Are you sure you’re not mixing up the two? There is no other planning application in for anywhere else near The Grange.

I'm sure. Look at Limerick council website planning. File 201430. 2 phases 198 units. Duplexes and terrace plus 3 5 story apartment blocks. I live nearby, disgusted....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It's a 50 year old cement factory. They have applied for a licence to burn 60 waste products including tyres, paint, animal waste. Council and board pleannala gave permission its appealed to epa at present. When they were using fossil fuels same kilns were spewing dust over our houses regularly. Now they want to use them for incineration.

I think Granadino is well aware of that. And it's actually there over 80 years.

• Advertisement

I don't want this to get into social housing bashing (although that would be a refreshing change from travelers). Housing is a big issue in Ireland, and sweeping generalizations like we are seeing in this thread don't help. Please be aware that in any scenario, a small group of people causing problems should not be a cause to tar all with the same brush.

Thanks

I think Granadino is well aware of that. And it's actually there over 80 years.

Well actually, if he was well aware why was the question asked " why was the factory built so close to houses".
    Actually the kilns are 45 years old.

I don't want this to get into social housing bashing (although that would be a refreshing change from travelers). Housing is a big issue in Ireland, and sweeping generalizations like we are seeing in this thread don't help. Please be aware that in any scenario, a small group of people causing problems should not be a cause to tar all with the same brush.

Thanks

There is good and bad in every area of society. Unfortunately with so much social housing in this area the potential is there for tro down the line.
    Anyway plan b is on standby, getting out before house values drop through the floor

Well actually, if he was well aware why was the question asked " why was the factory built so close to houses".
    Actually the kilns are 45 years old.

I think it's probably a joke akin to the standard questions from visitors to bunratty castle.

Why did they build it so close to the highway?

I think it's probably a joke akin to the standard questions from visitors to bunratty castle.

Why did they build it so close to the highway?

Apologies to all, thought I was being lectured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

The protests about Irish Cement focus on the switch to other types of fuel, instead of coal. That might be beside the point though.

In theory, it should work well because it should burn fuel at such high temperatures that everything is burned, and there is very little smoke or other emissions.

They have a questionable record though. They didn't take responsibility for a load of dust that appeared in a radius around them a few years ago, but did offer free car washes iirc.

However it has been decided that they should be responsible for monitoring themselves. That would be a bad idea even if their record was squeaky clean.

Aside from anything specific to Irish Cement, it is less than ideal to have a cement factory in the middle of a residential area. It looms over a nice park and some primary schools as well as housing estates. From what I have read, small children shouldn't spend lots of time in the vicinity of cement factories.

There are some defensive attaitudes about the topic, since the plant was there before the residential area sprung up around it.

Terrible planning, whatever way you look at it.

Even 270k is cheap these days for a new build when you consider there's a mix of housing in there some are 4-beds some are 3-beds

Plus won't the co-operative housing society be able to claim their VAT back?

Not to go into Irish Cement bashing, as it has been responsible for paying for a lot of my childhood,adulthood and more, but if there are ongoing issues with emissions, why are new houses being built in the vicinity? I doubt the factory is going to up sticks anytime soon....?

Not to go into Irish Cement bashing, as it has been responsible for paying for a lot of my childhood,adulthood and more, but if there are ongoing issues with emissions, why are new houses being built in the vicinity? I doubt the factory is going to up sticks anytime soon....?

Very good point, poor planning and from experience none of planners in Limerick council live nearby.

Even 270k is cheap these days for a new build when you consider there's a mix of housing in there some are 4-beds some are 3-beds

Plus won't the co-operative housing society be able to claim their VAT back?

All the houses in Baunacloka Heights are 3 bed. There’s a mix of semis and terraces, but they’re all 3 bed.

I can’t answer that, I’m not an accountant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement