Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Necro Presents - Album Walrus REVEAL THREAD

Options
  • 08-01-2021 7:57pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭

AngryForsakenLamprey-max-1mb.gif

Almost time for the first ever Album Walrus Reveal folks :D

Firstly, let's say hello to the 14 brave souls entering the arena for the very first time
    1. Trigger
    2. Also Starring LeVar Burton
    3. Irish Aris
    4. the purple tin
    5. Sawduck
    6. JP Liz V1
    7. Kolido
    8. ShaneU
    9. Electric Nitwit
    10. cee_jay
    11. RasTa
    12. mustang shelly
    13. Zaph
    14. Rikand

Ok a little info.

Why am I doing this?

Mainly because I like to challenge myself. It's one thing to get a single song from a group of players and rank them according to taste, it gives a small window into the tastes of the player. But an album... it gives a better insight.

Maybe the song you gave me in previous games just wasn't to my taste - but with the full album you get to display some of your favourite artists range.

Also, it's fun stepping out of my comfort zone and into someone else's for the purposes of music.

What type of music am I into?

Genuinely, almost everything. For me genre is not really an issue, I have songs on my favourite list from country to rap, from heavy metal to pop - and so on.

The most common thing I've found through my favourite songs: A kick-ass beat or riff - and/or an amazing voice. I do find myself drawn to songs that are sung by amazing vocalists - I find it the most powerful instrument in music.

Favorite albums?

Let me see - in no particular order:

Definitely Maybe & The Masterplan - Oasis
    The Eminem Show & Recovery - Eminem
    Speak Now - Taylor Swift
    Nevermind - Nirvana
    Hybrid Theory - Linkin Park
    Rumours - Fleetwood Mac
    Baby One More Time - Britney Spears
    Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen
    The Holy Bible & Everything Must Go - Manic Street Preachers
    Red River Blue - Blake Shelton

Among many others.

First round reveal is going to kick off at 8pm tonight. Because I'm impulsive like that :D

See you all then!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

A bit about the reveal:

In a departure from normal Walruses - I'm going to post my thoughts on the albums, what I liked, what I didn't like, really try to get some appreciation for the music submitted going.

After that - I'll reveal the scores. I tried not to give away too much info in the blurbs to keep y'all guessing...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

The Holy Bible and Everything Must Go would be in and around my top 10 as well. i wanted to go for different choices this time around :)

Baby one more time is a great album too! The cover of The Beat Goes On is brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Necro wrote: »
    I do find myself drawn to songs that are sung by amazing vocalists - I find it the most powerful instrument in music
    You could have mentioned that before I entered an instrumental album :D

You could have mentioned that before I entered an instrumental album :D

I'm almost certain I did....

In my reveal thread for my last Walrus.

That you didn't enter.

:pac::pac::pac:

(Soz, really - prob should have put my blurb in the Sign Up Thread)

I'm almost certain I did....

In my reveal thread for my last Walrus.

That you didn't enter.

:pac::pac::pac:

(Soz, really - prob should have put my blurb in the Sign Up Thread)
    tenor.gif

Ah well, you said favourite band anyway so it would have been dishonest of me to submit anything else :p

"This negative energy just makes me stronger, we will not retreat, this band is unstoppable!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,444 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Love love love Hybrid Theory. Was considering entering this.

Just need to get a bit of album art sorted for the reveal and I'll be with y'all. 20 mins to go!!

Ok, let's go. First Category....

My Favourite Artist

The sky was the limit here, submitting something from your favourite artist. Overall the quality was really good. I feel guilty giving some lower points as I enjoyed pretty much all the albums here.

Some absolutely WOWed me though. Others... they were ok - but I felt I enjoyed the ones above them better.

One duplicate here too and you know what that means :eek:
    Just to let you all know that duplicate entries in this game will receive *half points*

So for example if Necro and LeVar submit the same album which scores 18 points in total, both players will receive 9 points as opposed to the maximum 18 on offer.

An incentive to be more unique, if you will.

The Shires – Good Years – submitted by Also Starring LeVar Burton

MUS000626366_600x.jpg?v=1582892305

https://open.spotify.com/album/0YYffBxNZsaRIf5W9KRrfr?si=btjX9pm6Sxuh4ItEzealAA

Highpoints – Lightning Strikes, About Last Night

What I like about this album is that – with the exception of possibly one other, it’s poppy, and that was definitely in short supply in this round.. I do like my pop injection. Loved Lightning Strikes since LeVar’s SURLAW so was nice to be reminded of that. It keeps that sound throughout despite the tone of the songs varying. It’s very ‘early Taylor Swift’ in terms of the content, which is something I very much approve of before she got a little TOO poppy for my own tastes. New Year is a bit sickly sweet mind, so it’s not perfect either but overall it was a very enjoyable listen.

Reminder, no scores... yet. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,444 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Reminder, no scores... yet. :P

Oh that's nasty :p

Duran Duran – Notorious – Submitted by Irish Aris

Duran_Duran_-_Notorious.png

https://open.spotify.com/album/3xXwaj6hVwx0pnLtMCHZdC?si=wNBDk7-ST72vugHq_fYo2A

Highpoints – Notorious, Hold Me

Starts really well with a song I didn’t realise was actually by Duran Duran. Shame on me, I know. I’m not enamoured with some of the other early tracks mind. Hold Me picks my mood up again though and I’m enjoying that track a lot. There’s a lot of mixes of the same songs on the album, but I checked online and the 2010 remastered album added all of that. I hate clutter on an album with mixes of different tracks but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t the entrant’s intention to submit a remaster so no points deducted as a result :P Overall it’s a decent, if not brilliant album imo. Duran Duran are hit and miss for me anyways so more down to personal taste than an actual dislike as this album did exactly that. Hit and hit well in spots, and missed the target (for me anyways) in others.

The Silent Force – Within Temptation – Submitted by mustang shelly

R-775473-1361791083-9235.jpeg.jpg

https://open.spotify.com/album/7Mqb9JDLwwr4kLuNXFnuJZ?si=nvfq2dq4Q22R0ao7VuZ78A

Highpoints – Intro, See Who I Am (particularly the start), Stand My Ground

I really liked this album from start to finish. There is a real Epic feel to the music, again it stands out as unique which is good, in fact a lot of albums do in this round, very varied choices. Very hard to pick out a bad song at all, all up tempo and listening was great. I did find the whole epic feel of every song ran into the problem of making most songs sound very similar. Stand My Ground was the standout track for me, just a brilliant vocal to accompany the awesome music. The starting Intro along with See Who I Am just set the tone for the album which overall was very very good.

65daysofstatic – Escape From New York – Submitted by Electric Nitwit

R-1762942-1481080438-1528.jpeg.jpg

https://open.spotify.com/album/7vQoqSGmZBKUsjvpe5bDip?si=cYKpBf3bSjizkzFRpx-yPQ

Highpoints – No Use Crying Over (Some Techno), Primer

This was a real risk to send me, I am a big fan of lyrics in songs as they help me connect better with the music. Mind you there are exceptions. This was good in parts, and I really struggled with other portions of the album. The high points were good though, I was jamming along with a good few tracks in this.

I'll take that :)

Oasis – (What’s The Story) Morning Glory ? – Submitted by Trigger

4600c83a.jpg

https://open.spotify.com/album/6tOe4eAF8xNhEkl9WyvsE4?si=gr75Xf5KTlqO1ry8Gv8Vqw

Highpoints – Champagne Supernova, What’s The Story (Morning Glory)

This is an album I grew up listening to and loving so it’s very hard to be objective here. It’s a real romper stomper of an album, whilst still only being my third favourite Oasis album – after The Masterplan and Definitely Maybe.

I don’t think Oasis in general have aged that well if I do have to be a little negative – Liam Gallagher being an absolute twat certainly hasn’t helped things. However there’s no real denying this is a class album and I’d be lying if I didn’t say it would take something incredible to shift it from the top spot.

Bon Jovi – Slippery When Wet – Submitted by Kolido

28100685870_c14a838a94_z.jpg

https://open.spotify.com/album/0kBfgEilUFCMIQY5IOjG4t?si=8CPucqBYTeSQ51NYou5feA

Highpoints – You Give Love A Bad Name, Livin On A Prayer

God damn this takes me back. It’s absolutely one of the albums from the 80s I wore out. The highlights are incredibly high – absolute ANTHEMS of the decade and really, there’s not too much of a wobble throughout. I could listen to this album any day of the year. Just an absolute classic.

Bruce Springsteen – Darkness on The Edge of Town – Submitted by JP Liz V1

71wm195XvrL._SY606_.jpg

https://open.spotify.com/album/4KT6G8fj8EEIfsyr75hbgc?si=M66d7i4xRXCVaLSIP-foAA

Highpoints – Badlands, Streets of Fire

This is a funny one to quantify as I’m a massive Bruce fan but this album never really grasped me to be quite honest. It starts well but in all honesty bar the two songs mentioned above they all sort of blend into each other, and not in a good way. The E Street Band is the saving point for me as they are always excellent but other than that… Born To Run would have probably come very close to topping this category on the other hand.

Vampire Weekend – Vampire Weekend – Submitted by ShaneU AND Zaph

8212e6dc.jpeg

https://open.spotify.com/album/5fedTyx7AnXeyxLL0giq6x?si=aPMEFCFQSCKb7C7HdZk2VQ

Highpoints – Mansard Roof, M79, A-Punk

Quality album this, almost from start to finish – really enjoyed the listen along in the most part. M-79 in particular is one I hadn’t heard before and I loved the various arrangements in the song. On the flipside, One (Blake’s Got A New Face) is an awful song and should be burned with various forms of fire. Starts deceptively well, until that chorus makes you want to vomit. But that aside, top album. Definitely going on the regular list once I can find a way to remove that one song. Shame for the entrants that they doubled up, because they’re only getting half points though :P

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Shame for the entrants that they doubled up, because they’re only getting half points though :P

You spelled double points wrong there chief.

• Advertisement

Robbie Williams – I’ve Been Expecting You – Submitted by Rikand

41LhWn5-g2L.jpg

https://open.spotify.com/album/4sgNyq4LbcoRnNhte25GPs?si=-AvwDrWPSyC8pUpdUiJb9w

Highpoints – Strong, It’s Only Us, Karma Killer

This is a ruddy good album, and a great throwback to that 90s phenomenon of ‘secret tracks’. I remember getting a few albums around this time with a couple of tracks not listed on the sleeve, you had to listen right to the end to find them. Anyways enough nostalgia, we’re talking albums here. The album starts well with some of the singles, though I absolutely hate No Regrets for no real reason other than the chorus annoys me. The album tracks (as advised) are probably stronger than the singles as well, with the exception of Win Some Lose Some which sounds weird and just not great.

Robbie Williams – I’ve Been Expecting You – Submitted by Rikand
    anigif_enhanced-21103-1458015219-2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

FFS Zaph :rolleyes:

Steely Dan – Can’t Buy A Thrill – Submitted by the purple tin

can'tbuy.jpg

https://open.spotify.com/album/4Gh6pRaXqXTtJx4plAJbBw?si=yU3BHbUoQIekTNhX91RkLA

Highpoints – Kings, Reelin In The Years

A very smooth, easy listening album. I can see myself putting this on as some nice relaxing music in the evening. It definitely stands out from the rest of the pack in that regard. Kings is such a chilled song in particular, yeah I’m really enjoying this album so far. It’s another album that continues to surprise me and is definitely going onto my regular playlist, I’m genuinely struggling to find fault with any of it. And then you get to Reelin’ In The Years which is just a quality track.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

ShaneU wrote: »
    FFS Zaph :rolleyes:

Look, at least he liked it so hopefully we won't end up with minus points.

Oasis – (What’s The Story) Morning Glory ? – Submitted by Trigger

It’s a real romper stomper of an album, whilst still only being my third favourite Oasis album – after The Masterplan and Definitely Maybe.

I don’t think Oasis in general have aged that well if I do have to be a little negative – Liam Gallagher being an absolute twat certainly hasn’t helped things. However there’s no real denying this is a class album and I’d be lying if I didn’t say it would take something incredible to shift it from the top spot.
    Just catching up properly. I agree with all of this until the end sadly. I worshipped this album when it was released but recently I've gone right off it. Still love Definitely Maybe and The Masterplan, don't know what it is about this one... :(

Tom Petty – Full Moon Fever – Submitted by Sawduck

Tom_Petty_Full_Moon_Fever.jpg

https://open.spotify.com/album/5d71Imt5CIb7LpQwDMQ093?si=CFva61-_RnKz4Z_HSbJgoQ

Highpoints – Free Fallin, I Won’t Back Down

This album starts with a BANG – probably the most impactful start of all the albums, flowing from Free Fallin into I Won’t Back Down – man those are two absolute classics. It continues in a very enjoyable fashion, hadn’t ventured much into Petty’s back catalogue before but this is certainly making me more interested.

Frank Zappa – Apostrophe(‘) – Submitted by RasTa

795bd46fd5617b549ace572c1f5e8dc4a93983b2.jpg?itok=5j2e2IrD

https://open.spotify.com/album/3EbtMJsHbspjhN6Xd4plIu?si=IeEvTbB1SRqNL5ml_bvuJQ

Highpoints – Father O’Blivion, Apostrophe‘

This seems to be an album that continues based on the first song… I have to admit, it hasn’t grabbed me. It’s a bit humourous but also just plain bizarre. The jarring xylophone between Nanook Rubs It and St Alfonso’s Pancake Breakfast takes me out of the story all together. Or is it an interlude? I dunno, it’s just not… music, in a sense I would be used to anyways. And then the abrupt stopping and jumping to the next track in some places. It’s a bit all over the place. The guitar play is class throughout, particularly enjoyed Father O’Blivion. Yet… the album is short, sweet and to the point and that’s always helpful when trying to gauge where it should slot in when it comes to the rankings. The title track is just absolutely jamming type stuff which I could listen to all day long. Interestingly the album picks up massively for the last three tracks, the deeper I got into it the more I enjoyed it.

Highpoints – Exile (feat. Bon Ivor), Illicit Affairs, Invisible String

This has been described as one of the albums of the year by a good few, strangely I hadn’t gotten around to listening to it but already had high hopes for certain. And it does not let me down, I got a bit concerned as the opening track didn’t grasp me in the way I expected but in an overall sense this was brilliant. Exile with Bon Ivor in particular is a fantastic track. It’s an album that just gets better the deeper you go into it. Illicit Affairs and Invisible String are brilliant too.

• Advertisement

And that's the full reveal folks.

So... how do you think you did :D

Back in 10 mins with the scores!!

Advertisement