Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Raw Oysters: Love it or hate it?

• 09-01-2021 5:15am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Hellotonever

I love it personally. I always order two dozen raw oysters from the Wild Atlantic Way delivered to Leinster fresh. No bells or whistles, just shuck em, slap some lemon and its good to go.

Swear, its one of the hidden gems available to everyone in the country. Its cheap, nutritious and delicious. Try em out

Comments

Lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I love when my food looks like a cross between a smokers phlegm and semen... Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. I did use to like getting some chinese/thai did with "Oyster" sauce, but I'm sure it tasted as close to oyster and Skips taste to actual prawns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

They're awesome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I love the ceremony of them all even though they're a bit gross, nice to share with someone if you've had a couple of drinks

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I like them, but it doesn’t take long before I feel like I’ve drunk a pint of seawater. So I have to stop after a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Utterly disgusting

🙈🙉🙊

like mussels they're a great source of protein from our own back yard. It's mad how these things aren't really popular here compared to other countries, we do produce a hell of a lot of these things organically too, rope mussels and oysters are one of the cleaner ways to produce protein, environmentally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Like swallowing a giant gob of cold snot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Swallow snot? No thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Does anyone ever cook oysters?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »

Oyster fritters look nice but I've never had them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

Oysters = sea snots!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

never had them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Love them. I get mine from Achill Oysters, next day delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

to eat ...ew ..each to their own ..perhaps my palate is not as sophisticated as yours

To look at ..partic if there is a pearl ....beautiful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Absolutely delicious on ice with some tabasco and lemon.

I’m not sure why they’re meant to be an aphrodisiac however. I got poisoned from them one day and the smell coming off my burps was worse than the already foul smell leaving my hole every 2 minutes... It lasted for days and I destroyed 2 pairs of jocks on a long trip home from the romantic weekend in Cork.. I still love them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Um yes? Baked oysters are alright, deep-fried panko-crumbed oysters are the food of the Gods. Can't stomach them raw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Wouldn't mind half a dozen now with a few pints , anyone know of a posh Shebeen selling them

The farming of oysters and other shellfish is as sustainable as it gets and in many places actually restorative environmentally. It holds great promise for relieving pressure on land-based protein sources and is a great example for how to gain more food from the ocean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I, personally, think that those of you describing it as “snot” are being incredibly generous.

It’s salty, slimy and watery. All that, coupled with the “delivery”, well, it’s basically cold jizz. Dress it up how you like but, unless you’re lashing lemon or Tabasco on there, you are, effectively, chugging spunk.

Never touch them, myself.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I have an obsession with oysters and other shellfish. Visits to our coastal fish monger are a weekly treat, the kids eat crab claws and mussels like sweets.

Proper traditional Irish food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭jackboy

I, personally, think that those of you describing it as “snot” are being incredibly generous.

It’s salty, slimy and watery. All that, coupled with the “delivery”, well, it’s basically cold jizz. Dress it up how you like but, unless you’re lashing lemon or Tabasco on there, you are, effectively, chugging spunk.

I think you have revealed far too much there😂.

Anyway, they are definitely a love or hate food. I love them plain and simple, no Tabasco required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭Carodh

Bit of garlic breadcrumb on the oyster in the shell & pup under the grill. Absolutely gorgeous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭Carodh

We love oysters in our house. My 12 year old when 5/6 years old would gobble them down.

Why do you know what cold jizz tastes like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Filthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

I've had them a few times. They are quite nice - have a very unique taste but have to override the gag reflex!

People saying they look like X or taste like Y need to open their minds a small bit. I mean, fine if you legitimately do not like the taste of them but there are loads of foods that are extremely common these days that when you look at where they come from you'd wonder how we came to consume them.

I guarantee most of these people eat prawns. Does a raw whole prawn look any more appetizing than an oyster?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Fooking prawns...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Why do you know what cold jizz tastes like?

A rather “personal” question. Why should that matter? Let’s just say I may have come last in a competition, long ago at this stage.

Even still, there would have been the odd snowball, or accidental slootching, “after the fact”, along the way. All mine there though, and never straight from the horse’s mouth, so to speak.

Anyway, you won’t catch me in hurry to guzzle down buckets of either. No, thank you.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭dasdog

Space Dog wrote: »
    Um yes? Baked oysters are alright, deep-fried panko-crumbed oysters are the food of the Gods. Can't stomach them raw.

Also a nice addition to a BBQ with Tabasco sauce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Ghastly looking things.

The only time oysters have appeared tempting to me is one episode of Diners, Drive-throughs and Dives where they had a breaded deep fried oyster sandwich. They look lovely and crispy.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Love em,

Paired with a nice stout or IPA and some Tabasco sauce!

Also love mussels and most other shellfish

I was in Prague 2 years ago and they where selling Waterford oysters

We should all eat these, its the real Irish food

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Hellotonever

People here saying fresh nutrient packed oysters from sustainably farmed irish industry is disgusting but will gladly eat grinded kebab meat made from pigs assholes no bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

People here saying fresh nutrient packed oysters from sustainably farmed irish industry is disgusting but will gladly eat grinded kebab meat made from pigs assholes no bother.

Careful getting down off that horse now.

OP is asking do people love or hate raw oysters, its not complicated and nothing to get your knickers in a twist over. They look absolutely disgusting presented raw in the shell so its not completely mad that some people may not want to eat them like that. Sustainably farmed or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ghastly looking things.

The only time oysters have appeared tempting to me is one episode of Diners, Drive-throughs and Dives where they had a breaded deep fried oyster sandwich. They look lovely and crispy.

That I could get behind.

The oyster festival swallowing raw toff wankery, no thanks. It's like a public schoolboy dare.
    Not to mention the dodginess of eating raw stuff, someone mentioned they got sick from them a few posts back.

• Advertisement

That I could get behind.

The oyster festival swallowing raw toff wankery, no thanks. It's like a public schoolboy dare.
    Not to mention the dodginess of eating raw stuff, someone mentioned they got sick from them a few posts back.

Maybe it's like that where you're from. Perfectly natural food to eat where I'm from, they're always been sold in the local fish mongers and restaurants sell them all the time without fuss. They're an ancient Irish unprocessed, natural food.

Nothing better than a dozen Irish oysters with red wine vinegar and finely chopped shallots served with a glass of chilled Chablis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Haha. Made me laugh. You're right too.
    I've learned to pay no attention to what people say about themselves or "their class" anymore :p

Same guff with wine drinkers. Can start going on about nutty, fresh flavours of the wine and it must be at least 30 years old... In truth it cost 4.99 in Lidl and it's piss lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The oyster festival swallowing raw toff wankery, no thanks.
    John_Rambo wrote: »
    Nothing better than a dozen Irish oysters with red wine vinegar and finely chopped shallots served with a glass of chilled Chablis.

Sounds about right!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Love them.

But I hate opening them, i am terrified of sharp objects - for real. ( except my mind ,which is the sharpest object on the planet, for real )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Allergic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Oysters can be added to beef stews or beef and oyster pies. They pretty much dissolve in the cooking process and add a distinctive, but not very oyster like flavour.

I love oyster sauce for stir fries etc, but I'm not even sure if there's any oyster in the sauce, probably just some weird processed extract or something

• Love them with a pint of stout.

Sounds about right!

Glad you share my enthusiasm & good taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

They look absolutely disgusting presented raw in the shell

:confused::confused::confused:
    how do they look disgusting exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Love them.

Went to the Clarenbridge Oyster Festival a while back (Jack Charlton was the guest of honour). Glorious day, oysters and Beamish (they were sponsoring). Truly sublime.

Wow and now I really miss those days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Don't get the fuss really.
    If you handed me a raw oyster, I eat it rather than waste it but I neither love or hate them.

Grilled oysters are lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Never saw the need.

When I was in Orkney they offered me " ebbmeat" is razor shell residents and here it was winkles I was offered ie periwinkles, but I desisted.

When we were little, we used to be sent gathering of winkles; they pulled them out with a pin to eat them; alive

Are oysters still alive wen eaten? Gross! As gross as dropping lobsters alive in boiling water. That is when they turn red ….

The whole sea food thing repels me. They say it has to be kept alive to stop it going off? I was in SV in Clifden once and a live lobster was there in a crate of water, claws taped up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Its just about the freshest protein you cam eat. Not much to them really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Graces7 wrote: »
    Never saw the need.

When I was in Orkney they offered me " ebbmeat" is razor shell residents and here it was winkles I was offered ie periwinkles, but I desisted.

When we were little, we used to be sent gathering of winkles; they pulled them out with a pin to eat them; alive

Are oysters still alive wen eaten? Gross! As gross as dropping lobsters alive in boiling water. That is when they turn red ….

The whole sea food thing repels me. They say it has to be kept alive to stop it going off? I was in SV in Clifden once and a live lobster was there in a crate of water, claws taped up.

Yes, raw oysters are eaten alive.

Periwinkles are usually cooked before being eaten.

• Advertisement
Advertisement