Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reports of a missing Boeing 737-500 in Indonesia.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

Not a max but another 737.Boeing must be so happy too :mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Ish66 wrote: »
    Not a max but another 737.Boeing must be so happy too :mad:
    It's a 27 year old Classic. There's not that many 500s still flying. While the likes of the Mail will go wild with it, it's not really going to affect Boeing.

Let's wait and see what's actually happened.

It's a 27 year old Classic. There's not that many 500s still flying. While the likes of the Mail will go wild with it, it's not really going to affect Boeing.

Let's wait and see what's actually happened.
    What I meant was it puts ''Boeing'' and ''Crash'' in the same news headline

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

It wouldn't have been much more than FL10 after 4 minutes, though unlikely we can hope for a positive outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,130 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Rather disgusted to see that the crew list and passenger manifest are already in the public domain.

One of the world's most active cumulonimbus belts, but there is some very unusual factor at play to result in a nosedive like this. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

smurfjed wrote: »
    Rather disgusted to see that the crew list and passenger manifest are already in the public domain.

Seems typical for that part of the world. Iirc, after the Indonesian MAX crash, even the tech log page from the previous flight was online not long after.

Areas of bad weather nearby. Aircraft lost 10000ft in a minute before impacting the sea. The sea around the islands is shallow so that should make search and recovery easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,691 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

According to Aviation Herald it went down at over 26000fpm which is pretty shocking.

RIP.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

The impossibly sharp "right turn" is curious. I wonder is it the trajectory of part of the aircraft torn off after catastrophic implosion/explosion, sharply deviated from original direction of travel of aircraft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Aer lingus won't be happy withh this

I have a feeling that a likely cause for this very sad incident won't be too very long in being leaked, but of course only official reports carry weight. It is such a dramatically different type of air crash than typically seen, even more so than the Max with its curious apparent trajectory.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

According to Aviation Herald it went down at over 26000fpm which is pretty shocking.

RIP.

Excuse my ignorance, I don't know much about aviation. Why is that pretty shocking? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 26,358 ✭✭✭✭noodler

jimbis wrote: »
    Aer lingus won't be happy withh this

What does it say about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,679 ✭✭✭✭L1011

noodler wrote: »
    What does it say about them?

Its a screenshot of a news channel somewhere which used a picture (or rendering, its so bad I can't tell) of an Aer Lingus plane to illustrate a plane in flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

They used an Aer Lingus A320 as a photo, wrong airline, and wrong aircraft type. It is like the DailyMail often using 747 or A380 photos on an article about EasyJet or Ryanair, sloppy journalism, unsurprising really.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,351 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Was it this type that used to have the hard over rudder fault years back. Those aircraft were all updated but the sudden dive suggests a major failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Excuse my ignorance, I don't know much about aviation. Why is that pretty shocking? Cheers

It implies basically nose diving.

Remember this?

The Boeing 737 took off from runway 21 at Beirut–Rafic Hariri International Airport in stormy weather,[4] with 82 passengers and eight crew members on board.[11] The METAR data indicated wind speeds of 8 knots (15 km/h; 9 mph) from varying directions, with thunderstorms in the vicinity of the airport. The aircraft climbed to 9,000 feet (2,700 m),[2][12] turned sharply to the left, stalled, and crashed into the Mediterranean Sea at about 02:00 local time (UTC +2/EET). Radar contact was lost about four to five minutes into the flight,[13] while witnesses near the coast reported seeing the aircraft on fire as it crashed into the sea.[14][15] The flight had been scheduled to arrive at Addis Ababa at 07:50 local time (UTC +3/ EAT or 4:50 UTC).[15]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopian_Airlines_Flight_409

• Advertisement

Apparently the ELT failed to activate, which could mean anything from not being switched on to damage upon impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭General Disarray

smurfjed wrote: »
    Remember this?

The Boeing 737 took off from runway 21 at Beirut–Rafic Hariri International Airport in stormy weather,[4] with 82 passengers and eight crew members on board.[11] The METAR data indicated wind speeds of 8 knots (15 km/h; 9 mph) from varying directions, with thunderstorms in the vicinity of the airport. The aircraft climbed to 9,000 feet (2,700 m),[2][12] turned sharply to the left, stalled, and crashed into the Mediterranean Sea at about 02:00 local time (UTC +2/EET). Radar contact was lost about four to five minutes into the flight,[13] while witnesses near the coast reported seeing the aircraft on fire as it crashed into the sea.[14][15] The flight had been scheduled to arrive at Addis Ababa at 07:50 local time (UTC +3/ EAT or 4:50 UTC).[15]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopian_Airlines_Flight_409

Not the first time, and certainly won't be the last.
    Definitely near the top of my list of suspect causes.

anything from not being switched on
    these usually don’t need to be switched on as the are impact activated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭youtheman

Look at page 13 of this report http://www.boeing.com/resources/boeingdotcom/company/about_bca/pdf/statsum.pdf The NG version of the 737, all versions, including the Max, is still one of the safest aircraft ever.

Some opinion on PPRUNE of the possibility that disorientation and surprise after a lightning strike might have managed to disconnect autopilot and momentarily blind crew.

Going by the appearance of the track, for all its potential inaccuracy, it appeared to have commenced a descent a very short time *before* the sharp right hand trajectory.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

The usual descent rate is about 1,800 fpm, so knowing that, you can appreciate that 26,000 fpm is basically a nosedive or free fall.

Seems typical for that part of the world. Iirc, after the Indonesian MAX crash, even the tech log page from the previous flight was online not long after.

Areas of bad weather nearby. Aircraft lost 10000ft in a minute before impacting the sea. The sea around the islands is shallow so that should make search and recovery easier.

That is Wing/Tail falling off rate of decent or worse :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,691 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

26000 feet per minute is a phenomenal rate of descent, it implies a major departure from normal flight and the aircraft was close to being nose-down for whatever reason.

If it broke up or exploded in mid-air it would take longer than that for the bits to descend because they're no longer aerodynamic and not under power

So this implies the aircraft was intact and under power and went pretty much straight down basically

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,383 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is there any of that age operating in Europe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,679 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Blue Air were the biggest operator with them recently - post COVID I don't know if they still have them. Some ACMI operators probably still do

The newest are younger than the oldest NGs and its still in manufacturer support

Advertisement