Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I have to buy a new mobile phone to do online banking?

Options
  • 09-01-2021 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭

Well thanks for yet another kick in the teeth.

Today I find the old BoI banking app on my android phone won't work.

Try to upgrade it and all that happens is that the old version reinstalls.

Eventually after reading the small print it seems I need Android version 6 for the new app to work. So BoI obviously expect me to buy a new phone.

I realise I have an old phone but it works perfectly well for everything else so why should I go out and buy another?

Wake me up when it's all over.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Megan

Eventually after reading the small print it seems I need Android version 6 for the new app to work. So BoI obviously expect me to buy a new phone.

I realise I have an old phone but it works perfectly well for everything else so why should I go out and buy another?

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here on Boards.ie. 

Our new mobile app is compatible with Android Version 6 and above. If your device software is anything below that, you would be unable to use the app I'm afraid. 

You can continue to use our 365 Online website for your day to day banking. We will be in touch with customers who are unable to access the new app at a later date with more information in relation to this.

Many thanks,
    Megan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

So when will this "later date" be?

I noticed the new login for the first time today and I can't imagine that BoI will allow customers to just cancel it and go to the old site for very long as it makes a joke of the new security when one click dispenses with it. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Megan

I noticed the new login for the first time today and I can't imagine that BoI will allow customers to just cancel it and go to the old site for very long as it makes a joke of the new security when one click dispenses with it. 
    Hi there,

Thanks for getting back to us here.

The physical security key will be available to order through the Bank of Ireland website. We wouldn't have an exact date for you yet. Rest assured, all customers who need a PSK will receive them in time for removal of the old desktop website.

Thanks, Megan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Hi there,

Thanks for getting back to us here.

The physical security key will be available to order through the Bank of Ireland website. We wouldn't have an exact date for you yet. Rest assured, all customers who need a PSK will receive them in time for removal of the old desktop website.

Thanks, Megan
    Hmm, that was yesterday, without warning, at the same time boi was saying these devices wont be available for months, are they available or not?? because boi shut down the link to the old site, or at least until I complained today as far as I can tell, because the link to that within the overall new boi banking 365 appearance dissapeared yesterday.

1874 wrote: »
    Hmm, that was yesterday, without warning, at the same time boi was saying these devices wont be available for months, are they available or not?? because boi shut down the link to the old site, or at least until I complained today as far as I can tell, because the link to that within the overall new boi banking 365 appearance dissapeared yesterday.
    I think you may have hit the same problem as I did, they have changed the site but if you login as if you have updated you get to a point where you can't go any further and get the option to use the old login.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

1874 wrote: »
    I think you may have hit the same problem as I did, they have changed the site but if you login as if you have updated you get to a point where you can't go any further and get the option to use the old login.
    Its possible, but they had the old site link at the bottom part of the page, I now belive they placed a link to the new site to trick/forcepeople to sign up to expedite sign ups, ridiculously, so its possible I did click at the bottom of the page expecting the old link to be present, as I came acorss a page which had 3 mobile phone symbols with my name in various formats, so it appeared they had some record or access to where I had logged into banking365 from previously, so my personal phone, my work phone and a 3rd phone which I kept for dealings where I didnt want to give out either of the 2 previous numbers, by the time I saw that page, I could no longer revert back to the old link, but I belive it was intentionally removed, as boi, in someway provided the link to it today, both to myself and to at least one other poster who had the same/similar complaint to me.

Another question for BoI

How much will the PSK devices cost?

It would be good to know how much it will cost me to use "free" ONLINE Banking

Edit> Is it going to be cheaper for me to buy a new mobile phone?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

So can't access the site for banking today because of this. First you start charging us for our banking and now we can't even access our bank accounts. Nice. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Android phones are typically good for about 3 years. You're risking your device and data security if you use them past the point where they no longer receive security updates. Entering my banking login details on a device running Android 6.0 is not something I'd be doing. Sounds like yours is even older? Would upgrade my phone if I were you. Not great but that's the only sensible option really.

Good article here on the risks: https://www.zdnet.com/article/android-security-warning-one-billion-devices-no-longer-getting-updates/

I don't even want an app on my phone. I don't have any coverage at home so rarely use a mobile phone. All I want to do is online banking which is no longer online banking because its becoming mobile phone banking. Some of us still actually use computers with keyboards. 

If BoI need to increase security all they need to do is txt me a code. Even thats a pain with no home coverage and for other banks means I have to drive up the road with a laptop and create a mobile hotspot with my phone to get online. It is however doable. 

There is an easy option for users but I really don't expect BoI to be able to shine like the Halifax do in the UK where they can do all the authorisation through a landline even for users not in the UK. - One method they use is to put a code on screen as part of the login process and then they call you on a registered number (even a landline) and you key in the code to complete the process.

The PSK code generator looks to me to be a sign of a badly thought out process that they are already having to find work arounds for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Eve

Another question for BoI

How much will the PSK devices cost?

It would be good to know how much it will cost me to use "free" ONLINE Banking

Edit> Is it going to be cheaper for me to buy a new mobile phone?
    Hi there, thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie. 

Please be assured that there is no charge for a PSK. 

You can now pre-order a PSK by logging on to 365 Online and select 'Service Desk' > 'Ask a Question' or by calling our Mobile App Team on 0818200362 and one of my colleagues would be happy to help. 

I've provided a link below to where you can access the old 365 Online login, I hope it helps. 

https://bit.ly/36k0lXk 

Thanks, Eve 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Eve

So can't access the site for banking today because of this. First you start charging us for our banking and now we can't even access our bank accounts. Nice. :rolleyes:
    Hi there, thanks for your post here on Boards.ie. 

You can certainly still access the 365 Online login if you do not use the mobile app. 

I've provided a link below to where you can access the old login, I hope it helps. 

https://bit.ly/36k0lXk 

You can also now pre-order a PSK by logging on to 365 Online and select 'Service Desk' > 'Ask a Question' or by calling our Mobile App Team on 0818200362 and one of my colleagues would be happy to help.

Thanks, Eve 

Advertisement