Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to Partner with an existing Off-license

Options
  • 09-01-2021 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi all,
    apologies if this is the wrong spot to post. Two questions here.

If I want to sell alcohol online, remotely from my place of residence with delivery only, would the Retailers Off License with the cost of €500 be sufficient? Always thought it was much more to set up an off-license, and I have heard that you need a physical premise. If not;

Have been doing stuff in the events and bar trade for a number of years now, and I have a very early-stage idea that involves selling alcohol online. I will need to partner with an existing license-holder in order for this to be legal.

So, does anyone happen to know of anyone in this situation, or how I could go about finding an appropriate partner, before I start cold-calling each rural off-license?

I'll be realistic here; it's literally just an idea with relatively low startup costs that could absolutely flop, so I'd be ideally looking to give X% of profits to the license-holder in return for letting me sell through their license, and if it proves somewhat profitable would look at setting something in stone.

Thanks in advance for any replies. Of course willing to give full details to anyone who might be of any help
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Might be best to approach one and tease out the idea?

I'd be surprised if there wouldn't be reservations on the off-licenses part... presume they are losing control of who the customer is? I.e they're relying on you to ensure there's no selling to underage?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

If I want to sell alcohol online, remotely from my place of residence with delivery only, would the Retailers Off License with the cost of €500 be sufficient? Always thought it was much more to set up an off-license, and I have heard that you need a physical premise. If not;

How would the legal restrictions in relation to opening hours apply to online sales. Can you take an order at 03:00hrs and deliver when the offies are physical open.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭supersonic21

PARlance wrote: »
    Might be best to approach one and tease out the idea?

I'd be surprised if there wouldn't be reservations on the off-licenses part... presume they are losing control of who the customer is? I.e they're relying on you to ensure there's no selling to underage?

yes, they essentially would be which would definitely be a barrier for a prospective partner. Would be through UPS and I know of other off-licenses delivering through them, will have to suss out if its just a declaration at the time of purchasing

How would the legal restrictions in relation to opening hours apply to online sales. Can you take an order at 03:00hrs and deliver when the offies are physical open.

Yes. Opening times for off-licenses still apply - can purchase at any time but delivery outside of the off-license hours would not be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

This time last year, Martin's Off Licence in Fairview, one of the best in the country, had 4 staff. This year they have 12. All because they went on-line.

Just saying.........:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Whats in it for the off licence, unless you are brewing , then you are only another middleman?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ErwinBrickyard

I have a pub, an off-licence and currently moving part of our business online.

What county are you in? The licence holder will have to buy the stock, sell the stock and the payment must go to the licence holder.

I have a pub, an off-licence and currently moving part of our business online.

What county are you in? The licence holder will have to buy the stock, sell the stock and the payment must go to the licence holder.

Hi Erwin, thanks for the response. I'm in Wicklow/Dublin. I would contemplate getting a license seeing as its reasonably inexpensive; its just the premises side of it that would drive up the cost.

I love Brickyard and I'm intrigued - what are you trying to move online? Pop me a PM if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Hi Erwin, thanks for the response. I'm in Wicklow/Dublin. I would contemplate getting a license seeing as its reasonably inexpensive; its just the premises side of it that would drive up the cost.

I love Brickyard and I'm intrigued - what are you trying to move online? Pop me a PM if you like.

The license may be inexpensive (isn't it €500 wine, €500 beer and something else or maybe the same for spirits?)

But there's a lot of paperwork involved and certainly you used to have to apply to the court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

The licence isn't expensive but in order to get one you need to extinguish another. To do that you need to basically buy an existing license which can be in the tens of thousands

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Not sure if it applies to the off-license 'license' but we had a pub license and asked if we could serve/sell off-premises for events etc. The answer was no, even if it was just down the road so to speak. We needed an event license for each and every event we wanted to serve at.

I'd imagine selling online, you'd need a premise that meets the requirements of the court and/or revenue. Selling out of your house will likely not fly, you may even need a change of use/planning.

Advertisement