Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delayed Christmas Post to New Zealand

Options
  • 09-01-2021 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I posted a parcel to my daughter in New Zealand 30th November - well ahead of the recommended 'last date' for Christmas, that has still not arrived. I contacted An Post and lodged a missing post report which could take 40 -60 days. An Post said don't lose hope as there have been delays of up to 4 weeks. It's now over 6 weeks and I'm really concerned as there is a lot of presents and a sentimental musical instrument in the parcel. Anyone else waiting for post to be delivered to Australia or New Zealand?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

I sent a Christmas card to New Zealand the 1st week of November and it arrived last week, so 8 week delay there. A card I sent to Australia the same day took 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Limejay

Thanks, that makes me feel a bit more optimistic. I'm thinking I shouldn't have put the musical instrument in - fingers crossed?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

I posted some cards to NZ at the end of November, one arrived yesterday there.

Had cards coming here from there, posted the end of October.....thwy are still waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

I sent a small parcel from Ireland to London the end of November, it arrived in London Christmas Eve.

There were huge delays in both An Post and Royal Mail due to Christmas post & online shopping so I wouldn't give up hope yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭FluffPiece

Ireland to Sydney around same time and it only arrived last couple of days, so don't lose hope just yet. Large enough parcel as well.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that - hope all arrives for you.

yes of course that is another thing to factor in -the online shopping - thanks

Of course there are no guarantees but good to know your stuff went through thank you!
    !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Limejay wrote: »
    yes of course that is another thing to factor in -the online shopping - thanks

And factor in that there are very few flights to NZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tseff1

I posted a parcel to New Zealand on December 16th it still has not arrived An Post are telling me it left Dublin for Aukland on Dec 16th and Wellington New Zealand are telling me that it never arrived there. I have just filled out a complaint form as the girl at An Post said it was the only way to get any information on where it might be, and she is under the impression that it will arrive still!!

• Advertisement

I forgot to put an update on this thread. My daughter received her parcel on 21st of Jan - all intact. As I posted mine on the 30th November and you posted yours later in December when it was probably more manic, I wouldn't assume that it will not arrive yet. My parcel showed up in Auckland (20th Jan) then went to Christchurch then to Queenstown, all in one day! Fingers crossed yours is delivered soon.

Also I just got a small parcel this week from Spain and it was posted on the 10th December.

Thanks I do hope it turns up just seems so long since Dec16th they did say on the day I posted to expect it to arrive mid Jan which was acceptable. Glad your daughter got her parcel and fingers crossed my son's arrives soon :)

tseff1 wrote: »
    I posted a parcel to New Zealand on December 16th it still has not arrived An Post are telling me it left Dublin for Aukland on Dec 16th and Wellington New Zealand are telling me that it never arrived there. I have just filled out a complaint form as the girl at An Post said it was the only way to get any information on where it might be, and she is under the impression that it will arrive still!!

There are no direct flights from Dublin to Auckland

So it has left Dublin, gone to Heathrow or other hub like Dubai and is simply waiting it's turn for space. It's also mixed in with tons of other international mail going to nz

And it could be waiting. Next Monday Auckland airport has 6 flights due to arrive for the entire day. Three of them are from Australia. One from Hong Kong, one Singapore and one Los Angeles.

Tuesday is slightly better with 8. (4 from Oz)

Yes she said that it had left Dublin for Auckland and left out stopovers as the first destination in New Zealand is Auckland but I'm not sure because she did not have any information on my tracked parcel to hand and said i would have to fill out their form and then someone would look into it. I never expected to be looking for the parcel 8 weeks after it left Dublin. My son enquired in Wellington and they told that their were no delays and a at this stage we needed to check back in Dublin. A pass the parcel sort of response.

tseff1 wrote: »
    Yes she said that it had left Dublin for Auckland and left out stopovers as the first destination in New Zealand is Auckland but I'm not sure because she did not have any information on my tracked parcel to hand and said i would have to fill out their form and then someone would look into it. I never expected to be looking for the parcel 8 weeks after it left Dublin. My son enquired in Wellington and they told that their were no delays and a at this stage we needed to check back in Dublin. A pass the parcel sort of response.

Impossible for there to be no delays as the number of flights are miniscule.

Unfortunately telephone service agents just don't seem to be given the information - here or in NZ. Without flights there simply will be a build up of packages.

Even the NZ post website outlines the delay and says approx 18 days + 7 days internal processing.

8 weeks is long, but not out of the ordinary at present

Yes that makes sense to me also. I just have to wait and see what An Post come back with. In the meantime I will keep checking the New Zealand Post tracking also. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Darc19 wrote: »
    There are no direct flights from Dublin to Auckland

So it has left Dublin, gone to Heathrow or other hub like Dubai and is simply waiting it's turn for space. It's also mixed in with tons of other international mail going to nz

And it could be waiting. Next Monday Auckland airport has 6 flights due to arrive for the entire day. Three of them are from Australia. One from Hong Kong, one Singapore and one Los Angeles.
    This. International airmail travels in the belly of passenger planes. With the huge drop in passenger traffic, and with the constantly changing (but very much reduced) schedules, and with the effect of lockdowns and arrival bans particularly in Australia and New Zealand, there simply aren't enough planes flying to carry the amount of mail that is sent, and nobody can really predict when the backlog will be cleared, or in what order — so anyone who gives you an estimated time to delivery is basically guessing.

Bad idea to post at all really! I just want to know it will eventually get to its destination and that its not lost or stolen at this stage. I can sit back and wait then.

Advertisement