Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Motherboard / CPU Build with Existing Parts

Options
  • 09-01-2021 4:46pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for a new CPU and motherboard to take my almost four year old machine forward. It's been upgraded a few times and I hope to bring some of the parts to the new system, and will upgrade them at a later point since I can't justify doing it all at once.

The machine is used as a mixture of office, web browsing, virtual machines and the odd bit of gaming in Full HD. Generally it is flawless for everything that I want but I see myself maxxing out the CPU more and more and rather than throw a couple of hundred at a second hand better CPU I thought I'd build something new.

This is my current setup
    Intel Core i5 7400
    16GB DDR4 3200mhz*
    1x 256GB Samsung Evo 860 SATA SSD (Boot Drive)
    1x 1TB Samsung Evo 860 SATA SSD (Data drive)*
    Nvidia Geforce 1060 6GB*
    1x LG 27UL600 27" IPS Ultra HD Monitor*
    1x HP 24ES 24" IPS Full HD Monitor*

I intend to bring the RAM, Video Card, monitors and the 1TB SSD forward with me. I'm going to then replace the 256GB SSD with a Samsung 970 EVO 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD which I have already bought so no need to worry about that.

So essentially we're looking at the following that works with the parts starred
    - Case - nothing flashy
    - Fans/Cooling - as quiet as possible, but no need for water cooling or lights etc.
    - PSU able to support future video card upgrade.
    - Motherboard with built in Wifi.
    - CPU as fast as possible

Budget of €500 - €600, perhaps €650 if the extra is really worth it, and ideally I'd like to have a basis for a system that I could keep upgrading for at least 3-4 years, the longer the better.

I do not wish to upgrade video card at this point, although I would probably want to do so in the next 12 months to something more powerful so this should be taken into account in relation to any PSU etc.

Just a basic case is fine, I don't need any LEDs or special things. Overclocking I don't want either. System stability and substance is more important than style for me.

I have always preferred going down the Intel route myself but might be tempted to go down AMD because of the better bang for buck ratio.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Currently it's AMD that are the top dogs and are charging accordingly. Availability is non-existent so it might be worth going down the intel route at the moment. The major issue at the moment is getting anything delivered to Ireland. Amazon is probably the best bet where they'll actually ship here. Not overly familiar with the intel side of things but the 10600 looks like good value at the moment.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I should have said, I can have stuff delivered to the UK as well, so Irish suppliers need not be a problem and I also won't be doing a build probably until late January or early February.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

devnull wrote: »
    I should have said, I can have stuff delivered to the UK as well, so Irish suppliers need not be a problem and I also won't be doing a build probably until late January or early February.

Ah perfect, that will make life a lot easier. As I say not kept up with the intel side of things, which represents better value at the moment so I'll leave it to someone with a bit more knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

I'd probably go down the AMD side of things if I was you. Better gaming performance and wins multicore too and a better upgrade path if required for some reason. Big issue is stock although I saw a 5600x in Curry's UK a few days ago there for MSRP £280 so assuming that pops up again (or in newegg UK) here's a possible AMD build. Room for improvement I'd say, so if anyone has suggestions go for it, particularly with an mATX case if ye think that'd be better.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (£280.00)
    Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£109.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300 ATX Mid Tower Case (£50.94 @ CCL Computers)
    Power Supply: EVGA BQ 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£90.46 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan (£8.69 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Total: £540.08

Comes in at just under €600 after currency conversion. Possible issue would be that the stock CPU fan might be a bit loud so of anyone has any experience with AMD coolers, maybe feed in :)

Advertisement