Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poor speed Digiweb

• 09-01-2021 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all,

I have FTTP from Digiweb for nearly a year now. My prev internet was a paltry 5mb/s, and then the 3 LTE service (up to about 40mb/s) so any fibre option was a marked improvement.

I initially signed up for the 150mb/s package, and had no issues with that. Got the full download and upload speeds. As is usual I then started balking at seeing the speed maxxed out, and then knowing that there is a h=faster option available!!!

I upgraded to the then 300mb/s option, but never really consistently achieved the max speeds. On occasion I would get up to 280mb/s, but this was very bursty. Upload was maxxed though.

Digiweb then offered the 1GB/s for a trial, which I then took as well.... speed queen!!! However I have never achieved anything close to saturation of that speed. Most I have ever seen was about 50-60MB/s (sorry for change of units there). Speedtest always gives in the 200-400mb/s range regardless of time of day. Upload speed maxxes out to 95-98mb/s

I had been in contact with Digiweb back in the autumn about this, and according to them the light levels are fine to my ONT. I have connected 3 different laptops directly to the ONT, running speedtest from there with no improvement in speeds. The laptops are windows 10, 2 of them has SSD drives, and one has an nvme drive. Tests were run with virtualisation on and off. They were connected with various different ethernet cables (cat5e/cat6a) with no change in delivered speed. My orbi router has a builtin speedtest function, which also gives the same speeds, so between a dedicated router and three laptops there is no appreciable difference.

I feel I have corrected for all variables in my house, and feel the issue should be at the ONT or higher up. Although the light levels are normal according to digiweb, could there be a problem with the distribution higher up? Digiweb is offering to send out an eir engineer, but if they find there is no issue then a 150E fee will apply, so just sounding out options before I pull on that trigger.

Chris

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Light could be fine and you'd still be contended. 2500Mb between up to 30 homes. In practice though I wouldn't put money in this being the case.

My money is on Digis bandwidth to the handoff being constrained. Just regrade to 150Mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 chrisdj_sa

Ya i was thinking I will do that. It is nice having the theoretically higher speed, but the only time I even really needed it was for downloading games. Once again thanks for the input ED_E

Advertisement