Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build landscape

Options
  • 09-01-2021 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi, quick question for anyone in the know, Iv just built a house and want to tackle the outside and wondering do I need to landscape before laying concrete kerbing or do I lay the kerbs first for driveway and then landscape the garden upto the kerbs? I have a roughly stoned driveway upto and around the perimeter of the house already.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I would have thought it would be a bit of both. If your landscaping is going to need heavy machinery or importation of top soil or other large or heavy components, or more building, then do that before putting in kerbs. But put in kerbs before doing any finished lawns that will be adjacent to the driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Kerbs first. Do all the structural stuff first then work on the soft landscape. But as looksee says you can do a bit of both as you go. But personally I'd get all the heavy work done first

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

As the others have said, any work that involves heavy machinery should be done before you put neat lines in place. However, you haven't really said what you mean by "landscaping". If there's going to be a lot of digging (ponds, raised beds, terraces, removal of tree roots, etc) or the grading of large areas for grass or paths/lanes, this should all be done before you put down kerbstones or lay a proper drive.

On the other hand, if you just mean the planting of trees, borders and grass, then there should be no problem in building the driveway, up to the last (decorative) layer. This would be verging on plain old "gardening" rather landscaping, and any decent driveway/kerb should be able to cope with that kind of traffic, as that could easily be an annual activity.

Advertisement