Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garage Walls - MDF/OSB

• 09-01-2021 9:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm planning on converting my garage into a home gym. I was going to just line the walls with MDF or OSB supported on 2*1" batten. This just makes it easy to paint and mount light stuff to. Is there any problems with this plan?

pFhBFJ7YZY4usujSge4LL1XJx_cBy3FBVUBfCPvMqfZq5e1orqNK-JTARhb40hqcmCXzbGk-Q99M0oxllfbb2G-Owa7ljxFbrNaAINfTbQKNd0ubJ_wDvWkRs_xQOYR6WaS6oOzOccNnp4Jp1d18YRN2wUybuPFfj-9Eh2uj1nkWC_Bk2jeAkdrW2md9gQ9Cv4LP7iej2iUYSoXqqc1xX71-9WkkmCo1qp0cHgUMlXFvjx_kESPpI7Bgv0_xNEaHAeVn_U2gbCj9jj_6lm1cPkaTdcR4bH3DiYHk4zlpYGaxJPdfY-XeN7W-YpIzyh5v4LSnyDAw9lMsRU284XmVAbIXYoHPi0T-zceoI5SP_kdlUh82vFPvQD8hmHEOooA3a9pih0MeU6JTFpif_Y9-5EAy4bLeZ1xr08fpSz3fCCrLWAm-q0WD1j06uikeo1eDupJ83I_G9uLrrlChwPfAp0P1lEfHDILbBm7Hc0OkaeKmWrvj7D1GDgJd3XWdlHofPiaMhXk039oAcnKwvoffQbSkZgPQzrLp8wMnLNz10mKVefHuOK4m5P4U1a9FeOFCa_0-D41oxRu0c40Uwa9zexBT1IcYOaT-n8ijJNDUlaB3qe4JtqAzBp-XKj_qbSrK2_BRHRS4Ct7Ro9eqn51TTejetcr9us1Mf-hBWwq5QpVGVsWCrlsSgr_AW_29J8k=w1874-h437-no?authuser=0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yes it will be cold :)

Why not line in insulated plasterboard . You can do a basic Job with tape and filler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

listermint wrote: »

Why not line in insulated plasterboard . You can do a basic Job with tape and filler.

It's actually quite warm even this week. Budget and my own ability were reasons I was avoiding plaster board. I've already created a stud wall using osb to divide it up so I still have a storage/workshop area just out of the picture.

It's actually quite warm even this week. Budget and my own ability were reasons I was avoiding plaster board. I've already created a stud wall using osb to divide it up so I still have a storage/workshop area just out of the picture.

Only a few euro difference in OSB and insulated plasterboard

OSB isn't that cheap tbf.

Only a few euro difference in OSB and insulated plasterboard

OSB isn't that cheap tbf.

It's over twice the price of the osb (55 Vs 27) plus it needs someone to plaster it. I just wanted to double-check if the osb would be a problem.

It's over twice the price of the osb (55 Vs 27) plus it needs someone to plaster it. I just wanted to double-check if the osb would be a problem.

It's not though

https://www.goodwins.ie/products/Insulated-Plasterboard-29mm-8x4-ft-.html?filter_set[]=1413,1419

And I've already said you don't need it skimmed you could just joint fill it.

OSB would be no problems btw. Just a similar cost and far less insulated properties. I don't see any advantage to you which is why I'd be against it.

Future house sale wise it would also be better to have the room boarded .

Up to you though your house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

It really depends on what your requirements are tbh

If its just heat/comfort then I would either dryline or just go with rigid insulation and dont even board it, no battens or anything
    If you need fixing space then add some battens first in the requried areas.

If you change you mind you can always board over (either with plasterboard or just OSB)

I'd also use rigid insulation on the floor and use two layers of offset OSB for rigidity (though if you are going to be deadlifting to failure or something then you might need to strengthen some areas with impact panels.

What are your plans for the roof?

If it was me I would glue rigid insulation and then overboard with OSB on walls ceiling and floors, plasterboard wont last long in a gym/work/garage area in my experience!
    It also gives you unlimited fixing areas and easy to paint/clean

Warmth doesn't seem to be an issue out there maybe due to the boiler in the same space behind that wall, even with the cold spell recently I'd have no problem being out there in a hoodie. I was covering the walls just for appearance, easier to paint, etc., easier to mount some light things to as well. I'm going to cover the floor with foamboard underlay insulation I have left over from a laminate and them rubber mats over the top (a single ply sheet where the squad rack will be going).

I'm adding more OSB to the 'ceiling' to increase the storage area but nothing beyond that, there will be gaps along the side, etc and there is a wooden ladder in the boiler area to access the loft. With that in mind the thought/cost of lining the walls with any sort of insulation seems lost on me.

Again the goal is to do it as cheap as possible, I understand people saying its only a few quid more to do X versus Y, but it all adds up and it starts be expensive. If I was planning to turn it into an office/room I would see the benefit,

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

MDF is both expensive and very heavy. I wouldn't use it for this purpose.

The look of OSB on the walls would bug me. It really isn't visually appealing.

If you don't want to take the insulation / plasterboard advice above, I'd probably use ply. Not cheap but a better job IMO.

From my local builders osb 12mm (18€), mdf 11mm (22€), ply 12mm (25€), plasterboard 27mm (41€). I''ve already the stud wall up dividing the garage with 18mm OSB (out of shot in the pic).

Anyway, I'm happy with the advice that simply cladding the walls won't present any problem. Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

awec wrote: »

The look of OSB on the walls would bug me. It really isn't visually appealing.

I quite like the look of clean/painted OSB in a garage setting, I wouldnt have it anywhere habitable though. For me the major benefit is not having to worry about it getting damaged.

MDF would be a disaster in an area like that, it will swell and buckle and become a mess IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Plain OSB is quite nice in an appropriate setting.

It's become quite fashionable in cafes the last few years, but ought to be restricted to vertical surfaces so that it can be left bare.

There's a local burger place near me that uses it for the tables; they've heavily varnished it and rounded over the edges into a heavy bullnose. It looks absolutely awful.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Very hipster to have OSB on show!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Very useful thread!

Is it really that easy? Want to make my garage more comfortable for short-to-medium term office. One wall has a light switch with trunking, another has the boiler fixed to it and a few pipes. Would I be defeating the purpose of the insulation by cutting insulated plasterboard to fit around those obstacles, or best to get the pros in to remove everything before fitting and then re-fix to the plasterboard? Aesthetics not an issue...

Very useful thread!

Is it really that easy? Want to make my garage more comfortable for short-to-medium term office. One wall has a light switch with trunking, another has the boiler fixed to it and a few pipes. Would I be defeating the purpose of the insulation by cutting insulated plasterboard to fit around those obstacles, or best to get the pros in to remove everything before fitting and then re-fix to the plasterboard? Aesthetics not an issue...

Is it an internal boiler or an external garage style or boiler house style boiler. Just the concern about people being in an office with the wrong type of boiler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Is it an internal boiler or an external garage style or boiler house style boiler. Just the concern about people being in an office with the wrong type of boiler

It's an ideal logic system boiler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭cletus

If I could jump in here, I'm looking to line a timber shed with OSB, and I just have a question or two

I see there is osb2 and osb3, with the latter being suitable for structural application, and the former not. Given that internal lining of the shed would not be structural, would osb2 suffice, and is there a cost differential between the two?

Secondly, on the thickness of the board. I'm on somewhat of a budget here, so looking at 12mm instead of 18mm. Would that still be strong enough to support shelves, tools, tool racks etc. being screwed directly into the sheet, without needing to find a stud?

Advertisement