Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booley

Options
  • 10-01-2021 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭

Meant to post this a while back. Noticed this the last time I was in the city.

On Englingron street nearly opposite Trespass, there is an outdoor shop that is now called ‘Booley’. (Weird name
    IMHO ;))

I think before it was ‘call of the wild’ then before this ‘river deep, mountain high’ and before this ‘great outdoors’

Are these previous names of the shop correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

obi604 wrote: »

On Englingron street nearly opposite Trespass, there is an outdoor shop that is now called ‘Booley’. (Weird name
    IMHO ;))

I think before it was ‘call of the wild’ then before this ‘river deep, mountain high’ and before this ‘great outdoors’

It wasn't RDMH, that's still on Middle St, they've an explanation for the name on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

obi604 wrote: »

IMHO ;))

Yes it's odd, like the places still saying cash only despite being in a pandemic .......
    It was call of the wild then great outdoors. I would like to think there is a genuine reason for this but I'd say it's creative accounting.

River deep mountain high is a store that was in cornstore and relocated to middle street across from the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Regatta Great Outdoors is in the Eyre Square Centre. If the Eglinton St shop used the term "great outdoors" (I don't remember it, they may have) I suspect they'll have had a cease-and-desist letter pretty sharpish.

Re it being an off name, google booley hut for some background. Serious outdoors people will be familiar with the idea.

Regatta Great Outdoors is in the Eyre Square Centre. If the Eglinton St shop used the term "great outdoors" (I don't remember it, they may have) I suspect they'll have had a cease-and-desist letter pretty sharpish.

They were "The Great Outdoors" for many years. There is a Dublin based "Great Outdoors" and I remember hearing the naming issue was with them when they started building an online presence and so having a wider customer reach. They changed to "Call of the Wild" a few years ago.

Hadn't heard about the recent name change.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

Laviski wrote: »
    Yes it's odd, like the places still saying cash only despite being in a pandemic .......
    It was call of the wild then great outdoors. I would like to think there is a genuine reason for this but I'd say it's creative accounting.

Creative accounting?

Was Great Outdoors, then Call of the Wild. Sister shop to Sligo company of the same name. Boley now trading independently.

• Advertisement
Advertisement