Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your line is weak but your point is strong: Liveline from 10th January

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Early 40s, extraordinarily young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Early 40s..."extraordinarily young"

At last I feel young!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

If I learned one thing from today's show it would be perhaps it's a good time now to take up smoking.

I'll have a pack of 20 Rothmans dude.

I sound exactly like that after I get off the other 1/2

De breathing is way deeeeeper during dat, much healthier breathing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,359 ✭✭✭shearforce

"stay with us Terry"

we won't hear from Terry again

"Stay with us i need to take a break"

Its 3pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

"I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in.."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Deeec

Another caller on now who never even stops talking to take a breath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

vicwatson wrote: »
    Duffy just asked if that was the callers breathlessness he's hearing, I give in

Well done for lasting this long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

"The same thread has been running through all the calls"

Or maybe you compiled a list of people who gave you the same story and phoned them all back?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

Just back.

I hear "Stay with us Terry, I need to take a break"

At 3.00pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,359 ✭✭✭shearforce

Joe loves this topic

presses all the right buttons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

As little of Darcy as possible isnt a bad thing but, if i was Ray i would be pretty ticked off, this happens every day

"Stay with us i need to take a break"
    Its 3pm?

"raydarcysnext51551washyerballz...."

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

What good is it contacting each other?

• Advertisement

Alfred123 wrote: »
    "I can't bear to hear your pain, caller .."

Joe is frontline also

We are absolutely coming back to this tomorrow :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

"The same thread has been running through all the calls"

Or maybe you compiled a list of people who gave you the same story and phoned them all back?

Haha he makes it sound like a bizzare coincidence and liveline has uncovered something

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

This topic has to be pushed by rte.. I can see a primetime special coming up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

We are absolutely coming back to this tomorrow :pac:
    And the day after tomorrow.

Early 40s, extraordinarily young.

40's? Shur, only a glint in the milkman's eye.

• Advertisement

It depends. Some support can be helpful in groups, but occasionally it can turn into pure symptom rivalry.

Todays programme reminded me of the Teacher from the D'Unbelievables:

"Goodman Reilly, your back with us again. Out for a full week, wasn't it? Jeez you got a bad auld knock, didn't you? Jeezus lads, you were lucky to come away with your life! Still you weren't too bad to play the match on Wednesday evening in the rain!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

A problem shared is a problem halved sotospeak and other such ol'guff.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I'd say loads more people will have this after hearing that today.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Oh fook off Ray!

And the day after tomorrow.

The weather in parts of the country will be like the Day After Tomorrow on the day after tomorrow.

pc7 wrote: »
    Oh fook off Ray!

I say that everyday around 3.01.

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    A problem shared is a problem halved sotospeak and other such ol'guff.

Or a problem expanded as dey share ideas for symptoms :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I'm glad he is coming back to the long covid thing TBH. I know most people wont read this on here but....

My Nephew who is 11 has had this since April. its been so difficult for the family, with doctors and the HSE to recognize this, they just keep saying hes fine just changing, getting older and all this nonsense.

He is only starting to get a little better since Jan, but its affected him and his outlook on life so much now, from a (hopefully) star footballer and out playing with friends in the town, to not being able to do anything, with no energy, legs going from under him at times and brain fog for so long. Doctors will not give him or his mother the time of day, saying "hes fine". Very frustrating. And no one is talking about it at all (in Ireland for the past year).

This is going to be the longterm effects of covid for years to come. No idea why Irish docs are not taking it seriously at all. Other EU countries have been since the summer though.

Its a very sad situation that people seem to not care about.

I know we take the complete piss on here about JD but I'm so so glad he took the show to talk to people about this and tomorrow too. I'll be tuning in.

Liveline for the rest of the week.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

I'm glad he is coming back to the long covid thing TBH. I know most people wont read this on here but....

My Nephew who is 11 has had this since April. its been so difficult for the family, with doctors and the HSE to recognize this, they just keep saying hes fine just changing, getting older and all this nonsense.

He is only starting to get a little better since Jan, but its affected him and his outlook on life so much now, from a (hopefully) star footballer and out playing with friends in the town, to not being able to do anything, with no energy, legs going from under him at times and brain fog for so long. Doctors will not give him or his mother the time of day, saying "hes fine". Very frustrating. And no one is talking about it at all (in Ireland for the past year).

This is going to be the longterm effects of covid for years to come. No idea why Irish docs are not taking it seriously at all. Other EU countries have been since the summer though.

I know we take the complete piss on here about JD but I'm so so glad he took the show to talk to people about this and tomorrow too. I'll be tuning in.

Sorry to hear about your nephew, hopefully he makes a good recovery.
    As ever liveline is generally doing a good service when you take cases like your nephew or that poor 32 year old girl towards the end.
    The problem I have as ever is that people who are just cranks, time wasters and/or genuinely confused about things are given serious airtime to spout pure rubbish which ultimatly is to the detriment of genuine cases. Secondly to this the hosts demented and grotesque fetish for misery is also wrong on a number of levels.

This would be a topic that Katie could handle more appropriately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Ronan has one of those huge iron lung things ordered from amazon.

Wasnt there a caller before who used one? Tiny Tim or something?

There was. He was looking for short, long trousers. He knew Little Willie, if memory serves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

pc7 wrote: »
    I'd say loads more people will have this after hearing that today.

Especially if there's some free cash to come from it.

Especially if there's some free cash to come from it.

I can see it now "I was diagnosed with long covid so obviously I'll need the PUP for life".

Though I take de p1ss here I personally have enormous empathy with people who have long term illness. Having something with a definite named diagnosis is much easier to cope with than when doctors all seem to conspire to be telling patients that there is nothing that could be detected on the tests that were offered. Somethings I get Reactive Arthritis which is an immune reaction to something as very simple as a dental infection (as happened coming up to Christmas). If you are prone to autoimmune conditions this kind of thing can happen and of course it's not always very visible from the outside, although bloods may show a mild-modest rise in inflammatory markers and unless these are very highly raised they don't arouse much clinical interest. Autoimmune syndromes are more common in females because of the more ready-to-fight immune systems which can offer life-saving protection, but often at the expense of longer term syndromes. The cross reaction of some of the body's own elements causes the symptoms, and sufferers go around in a state of useless semi-sickness for months or even some years.

I can see it now "I was diagnosed with long covid so obviously I'll need the PUP for life".

The trouble is to define Long Covid Syndrome. Clearly the girl with the severe breathing issues has a cardiac consequence of the illness and needs financial support until she might hopefully recover, which could take a year or two, and no guarantees her heart isn't permanently damaged. Likes of herself could actually die from cardiac arrhythmia or heart failure if not managed successfully. The others need supportive management and hopefully at the end of lockdown their ability to circulate freely may help them recover fully.

Lots on Long Covid, including GPs being affected by it and unable to work:

http://www.gponline.com/gps-losing-jobs-long-covid-amid-lack-financial-support-practices/article/1706645

https://www.newstalk.com/news/luke-oneill-antibody-treatment-could-reduce-risk-of-long-covid-1140295

For those with a more scientific bent...

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n132

Long Covid is very much a thing, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Lots on Long Covid, including GPs being affected by it and unable to work:

http://www.gponline.com/gps-losing-jobs-long-covid-amid-lack-financial-support-practices/article/1706645

https://www.newstalk.com/news/luke-oneill-antibody-treatment-could-reduce-risk-of-long-covid-1140295

For those with a more scientific bent...

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n132

Thank you for posting all of these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,673 ✭✭✭✭zell12

bring back VERSATIS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,673 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I say that everyday around 3.01.
    Cease thy glancing at the mirror at that time, caller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Roses are red,
    Violets are blue,
    You’ll have Long Covid,
    In Two Oh Two Two.

M

I see RTE have Valentines night lineup confirmed, you can settle down so to speak with your other half to watch the love story Gerry Ryan: A Legacy at 9.30pm...
    Documentary giving an insight into the life of the broadcaster, who died unexpectedly in 2010 at the age of 53. Featuring archive footage and contributions from those close to him

I see RTE have Valentines night lineup confirmed, you can settle down so to speak with your other half to watch the love story Gerry Ryan: A Legacy at 9.30pm...

Looking forward to this to see how they tackle the issue of Ryan supporting the drug cartels and how he has blood on his hands for every drug-related murder in the country as a result of his recreational habit. Or does that narrative only apply to non-RTÉ staffers and contractors when it comes to drug use?

Roses are red,
    Like strawberry jam,
    Have we time for another
    Elaborate scam?

Roses are red,
    FunnyFryday's no joke,
    The bauld Gerry Ryan
    Doyed from de coke.

What? Too soon? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

It's just a repeat of the (largely) RTÉ love-in Gerry Ryan documentary we saw last year. Yaaaaawn.

M

Roses are red,
    FunnyFryday's no joke,
    The bauld Gerry Ryan
    Doyed from de coke.

What? Too soon? :rolleyes:
    :D
    "Dope? No hope. Coke? You're going to be a big joke."
    "Pills? Get ill."
    "Cause drugs ain't the answer."

I’d never seen that until now. It’s so bad it makes “Rap Against Rape” look good.

Roses are red
    Voylets are blew
    Covid's de sickness
    Dat's wurser dan flu

Oireland's an Oiland
    We taut we were free
    From de big threat
    Of de voyrus to be

I'd make another gif, but would have to ban myself.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement