Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your line is weak but your point is strong: Liveline from 10th January

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,673 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Neighbour threatened to kill the priest??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Where is he going with his " GREAT GREAT , BRILLIANT BRILLIANT"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭golondrinas

The parents had no backbone.

Of course the parents were to blame

Don't you dare blame my parents. I want parity with the Magdalens, when do we want it , we want it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,451 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I didn't bother tuning in today. Expect Joe to get at least the rest of the week of these types of similar stories.

Anybody sticking with it - the very best of luck to you

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    I believe that statement to be true. Sex was never mentioned, it was known and practiced widely as 'rumpy pumpy' 'rattling' etc.

With the loights out. My granfaaaaader never knew there was such a thing as periods, as my grandmother would keep him at bed's length during that time, and always in de dark. How there were t a few mishaps I don't know. And as my mother always said menstrual time is randy time, so how she desisted then we didn't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Coming up at 3.04 pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭manodepeeple

Typical Duffy. Goes off to a break and leave me here wondering what to do with my hands! Pffft!

zell12 wrote: »
    Anyone remember the caller a few years ago, about a pregnant woman's menfolk family taking her out in a currach and throwing into the ocean, where she drowned?

At least the catlics have stopped dat. Only the Muslims who are 50 years behind are at that game now. Even the ones in Engerland for the last 50 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Back to 1977...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

Who was Director General of RTE in 1977, Mr Duffy?

• Advertisement

"she was raped by a man, obviously"

Also in 1977, The Gay Burn Hour takes to de airwaves.

Now this is some thrash...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

withless wrote: »
    Also in 1977, The Gay Burn Hour takes to de airwaves.

The Atari 2600 also released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

1977.......and the Sex Pistols released 'Never mind the B*llix'

How have you got on during the Pandemic, incoming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

"She is 17 years younger than the Taoiseach"........

Joe, Tell us about the TV series, 77 Sunset Strip!

https://nostalgiacentral.com/television/tv-by-decade/tv-shows-1960s/77-sunset-strip/

Thanks Mary for staying alive to tell your story

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Its awful, I can't listen to this, its terrible what happened, but I reckon we'll have a commission in 20-30 years over the carry on in Direct Provision. Either way Joe, ffs things are hard enough without this wall to wall, bring back unFunny Friday.

Mod Note

I'll ban myself! ;)

• Advertisement

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    1977.......and the Sex Pistols released 'Never mind the B*llix'

Extraordinary how The Pistols predicted Liveline, and the current host.

she was in Nu Yark for the weekend

Mary dropped for a Yank.

Did anyone else feel like vommitting when Joe said "We're talking to Mary a very young woman"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Saturday Night Fever, Rumours by Fleetwood Mac, Elvis died.

Mary dropped for a Yank.

Will he ask about Trump?

• Advertisement

pc7 wrote: »
    Its awful, I can't listen to this, its terrible what happened, but I reckon we'll have a commission in 20-30 years over the carry on in Direct Provision. Either way Joe, ffs things are hard enough without this wall to wall, bring back unFunny Friday.

Mod Note

I'll ban myself! ;)

Post reported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Am I the only one who thinks this is all very light.

I done get my kicks from anger or vitriol but we should be throwing a mirror to the Catholic Church and the state highlighting the list of their cruel work.

Get in a leader of the church Joe.

Saturday Night Fever, Rumours by Fleetwood Mac, Elvis died.
    Liverpool won the European Cup

zell12 wrote: »
    "she was raped by a man, obviously"

Another wunderful clarification from Joe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Mary dropped for a Yank.
    I didnt think someone could get pregnant if it was only a yank....

• Advertisement

Ah good to see the old ways and traditions are still alive and with us.

De nuns could never resist money.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Praying for FF to keep promises....

Not voting for them would be a much better idea

It takes less than 10 years to forget the lies that were told by Fianna Fail.

Sure the taoiseach has basically washed his hands of any decision he made this century.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Our next door neighbour told us that she used to bring babies to the U.S.A. on behalf of the nuns.

A Covid style birth.

gmisk wrote: »
    I didnt think someone could get pregnant if it was only a yank....

Depends what toilet seat you sat on. I remember a woman (in the sixties) going to the doctor. Doctor you're pregnant. Her: must have got it from a toilet seat.
    Doctor : who were you sitting on the seat with.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Our next door neighbour told us that she used to bring babies to the U.S.A. on behalf of the nuns.

That was then, this is now.. A couple of months ago Joe was oohing and aahing with a guy on the line because that guy couldn't bring a child back from Russia without the proper paperwork

Indeed we haven't heard much about the couriers. Did they travel first class... but of course most air travel was first class back in the day as economy hadn't been invented.

That was then, this is now.. A couple of months ago Joe was oohing and aahing with a guy on the line because that guy couldn't bring a child back from Russia without the proper paperwork

This kind of thing is very much happening nowadays with women from backgrounds of relative poverty, who will probably later regret having given up their babies to fully care for the other children in the family.

More of the same for the entire week I believe. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

This kind of thing is very much happening nowadays with women from backgrounds of relative poverty, who will probably later regret having given up their babies to fully care for the other children in the family.

I've often wondered would we have fared much better in a secular society human nature being what it is

https://riag.ie/

Here in the now its very much a case of - Go through the correct procedures and get told no. Dont tell anyone and you'll get away with it.

It's like the mortar launcher that was found at Dublin Port a few weeks ago. Big fanfare from Dublin Customs they had discovered a mortar launcher being "smuggled" into the country.

It turns out, the courier filled in the "anything to declare form" - 1 Mortar launcher and spent the night in Store Street Garda station for her honesty.

If she had left the form blank no-one would be any the wiser.

I've often wondered would we have fared much better in a secular society human nature being what it is

I've often wondered if we'd been better off not getting independence.

Currently our neighbours to the east are in a state of shambles, but in the 50s-70s the church wouldn't have had the influence it had. The chairman of the board in James' Street Hospital would have been an appointee by the NHS, not a priest. Likewise for every school around the country, it wouldn't have been a priest running the show. Abortion would have been available in 1967 not in the early 21st century.

I think we can all agree it wasn't just the church, lots of people were complicit in these atrocities. Some simply by their inaction.

I've often wondered if we'd been better off not getting independence.

Currently our neighbours to the east are in a state of shambles, but in the 50s-70s the church wouldn't have had the influence it had. The chairman of the board in James' Street Hospital would have been an appointee by the NHS, not a priest. Likewise for every school around the country, it wouldn't have been a priest running the show. Abortion would have been available in 1967 not in the early 21st century.

I think we can all agree it wasn't just the church, lots of people were complicit in these atrocities. Some simply by their inaction.

My faaaader was somewhat of that thinking.

96 pages! WOW!!

‘Talk to Joe’ has become a catchphrase in Ireland as over 360,000 people tune into the Liveline programme on RTé Radio One at 1.45pm five days a week, some to contribute and others to listen to people talk about their problems and grievances.

In the past that time slot was used for sponsored programmes on Radio éireann and I was going to say that Liveline needs no sponsor, but RTé need money and Liveline has been sponsored in recent years. The most recent sponsor is Kia.

However, that sponsorship does not prevent the presenter Joe Duffy from being fair to everybody who calls Liveline. He will be back in action early this month and on January 27th. Joe will celebrate his 65th birthday as he begins his 23rd year as presenter of the popular radio programme.

Sixty-five used to be the traditional retirement age, but more and more people are working longer and, as he is a self-employed contractor, Joe will not be forced to hang up his microphone – he can work on as long as RTé want him to stay.

‘‘I gave up a pensionable job in the Probation Service in 1988 to join RTé as a trainee producer on a short-term contract. I have a contract until 2023, and I fully intend to honour it. I was never offered a staff job in RTé,’’ said Joe.
    From his accent it’s obvious that Joe is a Dubliner, but like many Dubs he has connections outside The Pale. His paternal grandfather John Joseph Duffy was a house painter from Ballymahon, in County Longford, and he can trace relations in Athlone and Knockcroghery, County Roscommon, on his mother’s side.

Joe’s father, Jimmy, was born in a tenement building in Church Street, not far from O’Connell Street. His mother Mabel (Murphy) is not sure exactly where her family were living when she was born, but it may have been York Street, near St. Stephen’s Green. Mabel’s first child James was born in the Rotunda Hospital, but the other five children were all born at home, which in Joe’s case was Mountjoy Place, near Summerhill Bus Garage.

You'll have to pay for the rest so you will.

My faaaader was somewhat of that thinking.

Clearly a smart man. :pac:

96 pages! WOW!!

Many of them in colour.

• Advertisement

Clearly a smart man. :pac:

Well he had view that diverged from mainstream church & state thinking when it came to reproduction, always said the church view was totally impractical. Kind of thought there should be contraception in de waaaater if dat were possible. My mother's mother always objected to the idea of a woman telling her confession to a man in de confession box as it would be a case of nipple clamps if he was "normal" as heterosexual men were described in doze daze.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement