Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your line is weak but your point is strong: Liveline from 10th January

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Feel like this isn't the time for mocking callers telling the national broadcaster about their trauma.

lazygal wrote: »
    Why do you want to make a joke out of this woman's trauma?
    Loads of posters would be the ones putting their daughters in these homes going on the ****e they're coming out with.

The greatest thing that is being ignored by all and sundry are the rapes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Brian Scan wrote: »
    How dare you? Herr ButtersSuki has had his jokes published in Viz.

Brian has his attempts at humour posted on boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Bawler #2 .....2021

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,151 ✭✭✭✭zell12

"he cured my ringworm"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Pernot.......the lads choice.....for the ladies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,538 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

So at the end of all this will anyone be locked up or an organisation's assets seized?

Feel like this isn't the time for mocking callers telling the national broadcaster about their trauma.

The men who raped should still be prosectured IMO.

I'm guilty of making jibes about callers myself from time to time, though most of my jokes are about the host. But anyone making fun of the current caller really needs to take a hard look at themselves.

• Advertisement

Absolutely.
    Some people on here happy to make jokes about rape victims. Should be ashamed of themselves mocking this woman.

Brian Scan wrote: »
    How dare you? Herr ButtersSuki has had his jokes published in Viz.

Stop trolling, Brian. Infractions will follow any more trolling posters on this thread.

M

You have to remember it was late 80s where the state took Virgin Megastore to court for selling condoms, farcical.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2019/1008/1081859-illegal-sale-of-condoms/

Absolutely.
    Some people on here happy to make jokes about rape victims. Should be ashamed of themselves mocking this woman.

I think people have got the message. Leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

She seems to have had a better life than most people of her generation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,151 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Oh no not a poem!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Why do you want to make a joke out of this woman's trauma?
    Loads of posters would be the ones putting their daughters in these homes going on the ****e they're coming out with.

Wha !!!?

You have to remember it was late 80s where the state took Virgin Megastore to court for selling condoms, farcical.

"Head of the Virgin Megastore Group Richard Branson flew into Dublin to attend the hearing and is horrified that the Irish authorities pursued court action against the association in light of the current health threat from the AIDS virus. "

Jesus thats embarassing on a national level.

The state and church were hand in glove up into 1990s, my 30s.

Why do you just assume she was raped......she never said she was.
    You are jumping to conclusions!

I feel she shouldn't be on a radio show like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,011 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Getting another van tested, picked another good time to miss the show it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,280 ✭✭✭shearforce

"Head of the Virgin Megastore Group Richard Branson flew into Dublin to attend the hearing and is horrified that the Irish authorities pursued court action against the association in light of the current health threat from the AIDS virus. "

innocent times - sure the whole place thought moving statues was believable.

The state and church were hand in glove up into 1990s, my 30s.

I've probably said this before but thats why Fr Ted was such a hit. It came out 1994? I was 10 at the time, and it was the first time anyone ever said anything against the church. It might even have been the catalyst for the revolt of the church.

I feel she shouldn't be on a radio show like this.

Yeah but she is so I don't feel it's the time to have a laugh at her trauma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

digzy wrote: »
    I love being flippant here and the craic but this story has a lump in my throat. These people’s stories must be heard.

"Somebody I used to know" about her baby is a killer line.

Duffy wasted 40 minutes on a rambling gobdaw yesterday when knowing the show was going to be devoted to the issue and that there's a line of women with real stories that show us the actual sh1ttiness of what happened.

I remember my mother being iffy about me wearing an AIDS awareness tee-shirt and the parish priest of Beechwood staring at it. I said to her, "you like me coming along to church with you...if I do I wear this".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

My grandmothers sister had a daughter out of wedlock, she was brought up as a sister of my grandmother.. My grandmothers sister later married the man who fathered the child after emigrating to the states, the daughter joined them there in the end, and then irony of irony she ended up joining the nuns there and lived well into her 90s... different times

M

Up until 1984 you needed a prescription to buy condoms in Ireland.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2014/0107/496348-contraception-in-ireland-1984/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

A pome.

Yeah but she is so I don't feel it's the time to have a laugh at her trauma.

So we are where we are

• Advertisement

He has not asked that woman how long she was in the home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

All poetry is bollocks... discuss

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

Just tuned in.

A pome (no doubt to be repeated ad nauseum by Joe, and on Playback).

I'm out.

Guaranteed to be on playback Tamara

Up until 1984 you needed a prescription to buy condoms in Ireland.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2014/0107/496348-contraception-in-ireland-1984/

Absolutely, and as an unmarried person you simply would not involve your GP in anything to do with sexuality. The entire state & society was anti-sex unless married.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

At the height of the AIDS crisis.

My news with meshell

I'm amazed Joe managed to not make a dogs dinner out ouf the few lines he quoted.

He's not going to let her go yet. More gore to be got

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭piplip87

Lads while this might not be what we are used to or want to be listening too. Fair play to Joe and RTE for giving these women an opportunity to tell their stories.

Although I'd still say the aul ones are still saving the pennies to throw in collection baskets as soon as mass gets the green light.

Big wurds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Ger spoke well in fairness.

Apart from trying to blame de Eternally Innocent Men Of Ireland.

Like De Bible Joe. De Nuns were only following Gods orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

shearforce wrote: »
    innocent times - sure the whole place thought moving statues was believable.

But just look at the way an untruth or a lie that gos "viral" on social media can be held up as gospel in no time these days...

Does james o'brien on lbc include poems

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    At the height of the AIDS crisis.

I used to visit a hospital which took care of lots of people with AIDS, it was unreal. They were kept apart from other patients, of course it was not fully known how casually contagious they might be. But the screaming from the dying men was absolutely awful to hear. There were wonderful people I knew who made volunteer visits to these people.

• Advertisement

Joe sound so creepy when he puts on his ultra sympathetic voice!

Absolutely, and as an unmarried person you simply would not involve your GP in anything to do with sexuality. The entire state & society was anti-sex unless married.

In 1970 my mother went to Africa. She went to the Doctor to ask about shots or anything she needed. The Doctor while puffing on his cigarette said "There are just two things you need for a trip like that, a good camera and a decent contraceptive". She went "Er, its not that kind of trip".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

One of the witness reports describes how a 24 year old woman contacted her GP to discuss what was happening her body (she was pregnant, but didn't know).
    The GP then called up a priest for advice, and the woman was sent to one of the homes.

When it is mentioned that society was complicit, remember this.
    It was all the authorities; medical profession, police, teachers, the state, and all under control of the RCC.

The assumption that society just means people's neighbours is pure gaslighting.

dvcireland wrote: »
    Does james o'brien on lbc include poems

James O'Brien the professional radio host?

No he doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,280 ✭✭✭shearforce

oh one of the father's is about to come on air.

should be interesting

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement