Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your line is weak but your point is strong: Liveline from 10th January

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Absolutely, and as an unmarried person you simply would not involve your GP in anything to do with sexuality. The entire state & society was anti-sex unless married.

When I had my daughter in 1996 I was kept in a seperate ward with all the other unmarrieds. We weren't allowed on the general ward. Its unbelievable to think of now but at the time you just accepted it because you were made to feel so ashamed of yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

eviltwin wrote: »
    When I had my daughter in 1996 I was kept in a seperate ward with all the other unmarrieds. We weren't allowed on the general ward. Its unbelievable to think of now but at the time you just accepted it because you were made to feel so ashamed of yourself.

Holles St had a specific ward for unmarried patients until at least the late 80s. Some women would wear fake wedding bands so the nuns didn't come to their beds to pressure them into adoption.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

WTF! That's outrageous!

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Why do you just assume she was raped......she never said she was.
    You are jumping to conclusions!

I mean, in the cases where rape took place. Not being specific to any, but it did take place.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    WTF! That's outrageous!

Ah listen, by the time it came to have your baby you were well used to people thinking you were scum so you wanted to be away from all the respectable people with their dirty looks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,046 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

2smiggy wrote: »
    Getting another van tested, picked another good time to miss the show it seems

Mercedes Sprinter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

See yez Mon folks. Going to the sunroom for a drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I mean, in the cases where rape took place. Not being specific to any, but it did take place.

In a previous post you said “it sounds like she was raped” even though she never said or suggested that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Trinity College educated host

"... fore whoy..."

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

Why didn’t he marry her...........many others did in those circumstances?

• Advertisement

My parents aren't actually married. My dad got married at 21 and wasn't able to divorce the other woman when the relationship broke down. He and my mum simulated a marriage, even down to the wedding ring, so no-one knew they weren't actually married. Apparently my sister figured it out when she was about 12.

In a previous post you said “it sounds like she was raped” even though she never said or suggested that.

Not sure tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Why didn’t he marry her...........many others did in those circumstances?

Maybe her parents objected. At 17 she needed their permission to get married. Maybe his parents didn't want him to get married and didn't give permission. Lots of farming families would be horrified an unwanted child and marriage would break up the family farm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,280 ✭✭✭shearforce

why wasn't this lads name on the birth cert if he was the father?

was it because they were unmarried?

shearforce wrote: »
    why wasn't this lads name on the birth cert if he was the father?

was it because they were unmarried?

If the baby was born in a home the staff would have registered the birth, it probably suited them to leave the father's name off.

My parents aren't actually married. My dad got married at 21 and wasn't able to divorce the other woman when the relationship broke down. He and my mum simulated a marriage, even down to the wedding ring, so no-one knew they weren't actually married. Apparently my sister figured it out when she was about 12.

Probably very many such "marriages", especially in cases where one heard the wedding was "abroad" or "intimate". I think I may know of a few. People were forced into this kind of thing. My mother's best friend (RC) met a Protestant man whose marriage had broken down due to wife's severe alcoholism. They managed to get bigamously "married" by a catholic priest in Iceland! Regularised later I think.

Joe: And you remember meeting your birth father?

She just told him she had discussed it whith her mother. He really is a clown.

Is Joe being humble??

There’s just not enough misery in the report for Joe’s liking?

• Advertisement

Are there any faaaaders who might want to phone in and tell of how they had a relationship with a young lady who got pregnant with him, and who was denied the experience of faaaaderhood by parents, nuns etc taking his beloved into the bounds of a convent's walls?

Are there any faaaaders who might want to phone in and tell of how they had a relationship with a young lady who got pregnant with him, and who was denied the experience of faaaaderhood by parents, nuns etc taking his beloved into the bounds of a convent's walls?

:confused:

We just had one.

:confused:

We just had one.

Sorry, was out of room, missed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,011 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

this sounds more a problem with your family rather than the nuns

this sounds more a problem with your family rather than the nuns

Thats maybe why she refers to her parents as "the parents". If my parents abandoned my sister like that I'd disown them.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

Joe doesn't believe the tone, the tenor, the language and conclusions are satisfactory. Maybe he'll offer to conduct his own investigation and produce a proper report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭cozar

took Joe long enough to reply there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

She found herself pregnant? Little faux sad voice from Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

Oh dear Jesus, this is horrific

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭CH3OH

A long pause from Joe interspersed with heavy breathing

curioser wrote: »
    Joe doesn't believe the tone, the tenor, the language and conclusions are satisfactory. Maybe he'll offer to conduct his own investigation and produce a proper report.

I actually fully expect that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭rtron

F woord

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I wonder would the child have fared better had the child remained with the mother?

I wonder would the child have fared better had the child remained with the mother?

Why wouldn't it? She had a job and a large family, if they had just been a bit less worried about the neighbours and focused on their daughter / grandchild it could have been a wonderful experience for them.

makes me feel a bit queasy really how bad this situation is/was

This story illustrates where the bulk of the blame lies in these cases............it was the parents of the girls who wanted to preserve their “respectability”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,011 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

i missed practically the whole week, but from hearing this bit I hope it doesn't drag into next week. What good is this doing anyone (except Duffy of course)

Joe can't even pay attention

Why wouldn't it? She had a job and a large family, if they had just been a bit less worried about the neighbours and focused on their daughter / grandchild it could have been a wonderful experience for them.

Middle class, sounds well todo, living in South Dublin. She could have had all manner of supports and oppertunities.

That said, the parents sound toxic so maybe she was better off.

need a break in before 3

CH3OH wrote: »
    need a break in before 3

Probably the first of many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,537 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I recall in transition year a new pupil so to speak joined our class preggers and then left about 6 months later. The school apparently couldn't cover a pregnant pupil under their inshurdance. Not sure what became of her, she never returned, think she moved to the school to avoid mortification in her local area.

Probably the first of many.

Oh FFS.

I recall in transition year a new pupil so to speak joined our class preggers and then left about 6 months later. The school apparently couldn't cover a pregnant pupil under their inshurdance. Not sure what became of her, she never returned, think she moved to the school to avoid mortification in her local area.

Some schools are of the opinion that pregnancies are infectious.

This story illustrates where the bulk of the blame lies in these cases............it was the parents of the girls who wanted to preserve their “respectability”.

My friend got pregnant with her now husband ahead of marriage, "respectable" parents never forgave her, and her only sibling disowned her. She lives with her lovely husband overseas, and the irony is that she & husband raised a very religious Catholic family themselves, which the parents would have thoroughly approved of only they cut off their noses to spite their faces. Endless years of misery for all around, the bitterness continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭cozar

more apologies after the break? they would want to be fairly rapid ones.

M

Some schools are of the opinion that pregnancies are infectious.

This same school had teachers preggers up to the last minute, timed to coincide with the school year for maximum holliers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭piplip87

I agree but every one of these parents where educated by a religious organisation who pumped this narrative into them from a young age. The churches set the moral tone.

I remember my Dad who was deeply religious telling me that the priest used to open the monthly dues envelopes during mass on a Sunday and real aloud what everybody gave. Imagine what he could do to a family who decided to keep a baby from thay pulpit.

M

The Jags are getting scarce it seams, Boris may have to go with zee Germans, poor Joe could be in the same boat if he's thinking if changing...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9128341/amp/Prime-Ministers-Jaguar-replaced-German-BMW-Mercedes.html

i missed practically the whole week, but from hearing this bit I hope it doesn't drag into next week. What good is this doing anyone (except Duffy of course)

I actually think it's very important that the whole country listens to this - I avoided it as much as I could but really this needs to be heard.

From my own point of view with young girls at home, I hope it's drove it home with me not to have shame or whatever if they arrive home pregnant and to fully support them.

I do realise I shouldn't have to listen to this show to make me realise this but it helps no doubt.

I'm probably sounding a bit out of touch but so be it. It's made me think anyway and no doubt helps the women to talk about it.

tough radio to listen to though.

• Advertisement

piplip87 wrote: »
    I agree but every one of these parents where educated by a religious organisation who pumped this narrative into them from a young age. The churches set the moral tone.

I remember my Dad who was deeply religious telling me that the priest used to open the monthly dues envelopes during mass on a Sunday and real aloud what everybody gave. Imagine what he could do to a family who decided to keep a baby from thay pulpit.

My mother told me that kind of thing went on in rural parishes, but not Dublin ones. The clergy seemed to have an even worse strangle-hold outside of Dublin City.

On their honeymoon in Achill, my parents were instructed to sit different sides of the church. They were stunned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement