Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's a good job sector to try and get into atm??

Options
  • 10-01-2021 7:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Been considering my job options and online training from home, just wondering what's considered the best area to get into the job market at the moment? (assuming starting from scratch with training/education or no experience)

Is computers (IT, data science, programming etc) considered the best field currently for example?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Been considering my job options and online training from home, just wondering what's considered the best area to get into the job market at the moment? (assuming starting from scratch with training/education or no experience)

Is computers (IT, data science, programming etc) considered the best field currently for example?

Fast food/Take away business. The amount of take away restaurants that have opened in my area in a pandemic is unbelievable. You don’t even have to own an actual restaurant. Many companies on Justeat, Deliveroo etc that open a kitchen in some industrial estate and cook dishes. You could probably even make it work in your own kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,972 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

The insurance industry is an excellent career for anyone with a bit of cop on. Its a bit of a grind to start as you will likely begin in a call centre environment which some people cannot deal with however once you get a recognised qualification then things open up. You can get APA with 3 exams and most insurers will pay for employees to sit the exams, even if they don't they are i think less than €300 per exam to sit. I started as a call centre pleb for an insurance company in 2009 during the height of the recession as I couldn't get anything else and its the best thing I could have done. I've moved job 4 or 5 times and am now employed as an audtor for one of the global insurance providers in Ireland. There are multiple avenues that can be pursued, from sales to underwriting to claims to compliance.

Most of the insurers now also offer insurance apprenticeships where you will sidetrack the call centre, get actual experience and a recognised qualification at the end of it. I personally know 2 people that went the apprenticeship route, one of them was only 21 when he started and his previous jobs were McDonald's and a builders labourer but he had a good head on his shoulders, put in the graft and is now a motor underwriter for a well known Irish insurer.

Couldn't recommend the industry enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Fast food/Take away business. The amount of take away restaurants that have opened in my area in a pandemic is unbelievable. You don’t even have to own an actual restaurant. Many companies on Justeat, Deliveroo etc that open a kitchen in some industrial estate and cook dishes. You could probably even make it work in your own kitchen.
    Would that not indicate the sector is for the most part overcrowded though. I know it certainly seems that way in my local town. Its only a moderate sized town (by Irish standards anyway) and has 7 fast food restaurants/ takeaways. Thats not including Chinese takeaways and a tiny subway. Somewhat hard to tell how they are doing as they have delivery service for the most part but one of the more recent entrants that doesn't have a delivery service never seems too busy to me.

Despite it being just about the lowest rung of the ladder in the food/ hospitality sector there does seem to be an element of snobbery there too. The one more established seems to have much better footfall than the more recent entrants. One of the more recent entrants that I use charges about two thirds of the price for an equivalent meal versus the more established fast food restaurant I mentioned - it tastes just as good to me and is every bit as well presented.

The one that will pay the bills and make you happy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Healthcare and teaching springs to mind for me anyway. For teaching, if you were fluent in Irish or willing to learn it to a high standard, gaelscoileanna are in high demand with enrollments but with a diminishing population of fluent speakers to recruit from.

I think teachers with the likes of maths and the sciences are in short supply as well; and if teaching does not work out for you, you'd probably get something in industry with these subjects.

I'd choose IT carefully ... if in development, expect long hours, deadlines, constant up-skilling (in your own time) all the while knowing someone in India will do the same as you for a fraction of your salary. Each generation of Indian graduates are increasing skilled and fluent in English. Maybe aim for project management if looking at IT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭stevie.enright

The insurance industry is an excellent career for anyone with a bit of cop on. Its a bit of a grind to start as you will likely begin in a call centre environment which some people cannot deal with however once you get a recognised qualification then things open up. You can get APA with 3 exams and most insurers will pay for employees to sit the exams, even if they don't they are i think less than €300 per exam to sit. I started as a call centre pleb for an insurance company in 2009 during the height of the recession as I couldn't get anything else and its the best thing I could have done. I've moved job 4 or 5 times and am now employed as an audtor for one of the global insurance providers in Ireland. There are multiple avenues that can be pursued, from sales to underwriting to claims to compliance.

Most of the insurers now also offer insurance apprenticeships where you will sidetrack the call centre, get actual experience and a recognised qualification at the end of it. I personally know 2 people that went the apprenticeship route, one of them was only 21 when he started and his previous jobs were McDonald's and a builders labourer but he had a good head on his shoulders, put in the graft and is now a motor underwriter for a well known Irish insurer.

Couldn't recommend the industry enough.
    I'm not so sure. Specifically regarding sales positions there are no doubt success stories but more often than not I think its an area people tend to fail in.

I moved into a sales position of Life products and Pensions around Easter of 2019 and am actively looking for alternatives. I broadly worked in Financial Services before but a very different area - more back office but a Client servicing position all the same. I am APA'd to sell what I'm selling. Its very fickle business. One month you could do great, the next month you could get horrendous leads and nothing happens for you and even a few clawbacks from cancelled policies etc. You would always be somewhat on edge and can say the same about my colleagues although some obviously hide it much better than others. Selling to Irish people is tough as they are hardwired not to say yes or not to say no, especially over the phone. You would definitely need to be somewhat ballsy and not the sensitive type in this game. I have seen considerable number of colleagues come and go in what has being a 20 month tenure in the role of a at best medium sized Brokerage.

I rather face to face selling and you will as a whole make better sales through building up relationships and getting to know the Client and their needs better. However, although we are classed as a necessary business it has being tough meeting people last year due to the pandemic and this year as we start off. People are cagey about meeting and that is absolutely understandable too.

In retrospect it may possibly be better to start in an admin position in insurance and gradually transition into sales - not sure. I appreciate its a lot about building up your book too and built up momentum will help keep you going and progress you.

Can I ask since you started in 2009 what specific areas have you being in? A little background of the various positions you filled and what you thought of them would be fantastic and greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Plumber.

You wont see a poor plumber :)

And people being at home more than ever now they're breaking stuff. They're noticing their heating systems and bathrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,942 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Elder care . We've an aging population.

listermint wrote: »
    Plumber.

You wont see a poor plumber :)

And people being at home more than ever now they're breaking stuff. They're noticing their heating systems and bathrooms.
    I'm seriously considering a trade. Unfortunately I am approaching 40 years of age but on the plus side I consider myself a young and very able bodied guy for his age. I do like DIY jobs around the house and generally make a decent job of whatever I put my hand to. Also on the plus side I own my own house and no family or loans or other big commitments and hence my costs are small.

I know from trying to get a plumber or electrician they seem to be like gold dust around here - good ones anyway that won't mess you around.

Anyone take on an apprenticeship later on in life that would like to share their experiences. Any good sites out there explaining the programs and expected pay increments etc?

I feel I am at a junction in my life and don't know what road to take. No doubt a thought shared by many.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 IliveinCork

I'm seriously considering a trade. Unfortunately I am approaching 40 years of age but on the plus side I consider myself a young and very able bodied guy for his age. I do like DIY jobs around the house and generally make a decent job of whatever I put my hand to. Also on the plus side I own my own house and no family or loans or other big commitments and hence my costs are small.

I know from trying to get a plumber or electrician they seem to be like gold dust around here - good ones anyway that won't mess you around.

Anyone take on an apprenticeship later on in life that would like to share their experiences. Any good sites out there explaining the programs and expected pay increments etc?

I feel I am at a junction in my life and don't know what road to take. No doubt a thought shared by many.

Outside of owning my own home you basically described my own situation. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Pharmaceuticals is a good area to be in at the moment. You get on the job training in some of the lower end companies and once your trained you can apply to the bigger companies which are usually much better paid.
    Most companies provide free health insurance. Some even offer it for your whole family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

What you are suggesting would go against every food safety regulation but probably is happening. Be careful where you buy your take away food folks, food poisoning is no fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

Outside of owning my own home you basically described my own situation
    I'm in the same position. I was leaning towards going back to college but not sure if I'm wasting my time at 37 :confused:

I got my boiler replaced last year and noticed the plumber in his 40s and a bit over weight seemed to struggle with the physicality of the job. A handyman is always in demand if you can throw your hand to all the small jobs, window cleaners are hard to get too.

raclle wrote: »
    I'm in the same position. I was leaning towards going back to college but not sure if I'm wasting my time at 37 :confused:

Definitely not, go for it.

raclle wrote: »

There seems to be a lot of free online stuff that can be done online atm. It may be of some use to you?

https://jobsireland.ie/en-US/Training-jobseeker

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

Anyone here know if piano teaching is a good earner. Looking to teach privately in my spare time.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭eurokev

Go for it,
    I did an e&I apprenticeship at 28 a few years ago. There were a good number of apprentices older than me when I was on block release especially in the pure instrumentation course, where the average age was about 40 I'd say.
    There was also a number of guys that I talked to left "professional" jobs to do apprenticeships.
    The age profile is constantly increasing.
    Alot of companies look for older guys are they are more stable and likely to put in the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭enricoh

eurokev wrote: »
    Go for it,
    I did an e&I apprenticeship at 28 a few years ago. There were a good number of apprentices older than me when I was on block release especially in the pure instrumentation course, where the average age was about 40 I'd say.
    There was also a number of guys that I talked to left "professional" jobs to do apprenticeships.
    Alot of companies look for older guys are they are more stable and likely to put in the work.

Fair gap between 28 and 40 though. 44 when you qualify and could easily be in a construction downturn by then.
    I know a good few lads that packed in trades after the tiger calved.
    Any of the semi states op, handy life n no stress!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭daveville30

Barber coarses are fairly quick and you can start up yourself most lads now do a coarse the apprentice barber is a thing of the past.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Plenty of security work about. Not talking dealing with little ****s robbing crisps, but corporate and data centre stuff. Very short Level 4 course to get PSA qualified.

Anyone here know if piano teaching is a good earner. Looking to teach privately in my spare time.

i BELIEVE IT'S A BAD TIME ATM TO BE TRYING TO MAKE A LIVING FROM MUSIC. wEDDING BANDS CAN'T PLAY GIGS, ZOOM/SKYPE CALLS FOR LESSONS.
    sorry caps was on
    spurious wrote: »
    Plenty of security work about. Not talking dealing with little ****s robbing crisps, but corporate and data centre stuff. Very short Level 4 course to get PSA qualified.

I did retail security once, never again. lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I did retail security once, never again. lol

Yes, I think many avoid retail, but the other sectors can be good places to work.

eurokev wrote: »
    Go for it,

Out of curiosity lads what is your profession at the moment?

eurokev - Is that E&I Engineering? Domestic electrician?
    Having previously worked in Fund Administration I know off a few lads who went on to take up a trade...some that were in the the Fund Administration game with me for a considerable number of years. Can't say I know of how they got on in their trade.

A handyman is always in demand if you can throw your hand to all the small jobs, window cleaners are hard to get too.
    I see a lot of guys advertising for offering a lot of different services including power washing/ painting/ gardening/ cutting lawns/ chimney cleaning/ general DIY jobs etc. I do wonder are they very good and efficient in any one area. There seems to be a lot advertising. Are they all in demand I'd be wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

A JCB hire company would be good to get into atms!!

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭eurokev

Out of curiosity lads what is your profession at the moment?

eurokev - Is that E&I Engineering? Domestic electrician?
    Having previously worked in Fund Administration I know off a few lads who went on to take up a trade...some that were in the the Fund Administration game with me for a considerable number of years. Can't say I know of how they got on in their trade.

I'm an e&i engineer with a manufacturing company now, went straight in to that out of my apprenticeship. I did a degree while doing the apprenticeship which the company covered.
    Alot of how you get on would depend on what company you get in with

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Rather than pick a job that is a 'good' sector to get into, would you not choose something that you might be good at and enjoy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,972 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Can I ask since you started in 2009 what specific areas have you being in? A little background of the various positions you filled and what you thought of them would be fantastic and greatly appreciated.

Broadly

2009 - call centre pleb for an insurance company - 20 months
    2011 - call centre pleb for a brokers - 18 months
    2012 - support staff in the broker department for an insurance company - 2 years
    2014 - commercial underwriter for an insurance company - 18 months
    2016 - personal lines underwriter for an insurance company - 18 months
    2018 - commercial account handler in a brokers - 18 months
    2019 - external auditor for an insurance company

Call centres were fine. I had just turned 30 when I started, was single, no major bills so the social aspect was great but after 3 years of it Id had enough. I had left my first job on good terms so managed to get back with them into the commercial broking support team. Learned a huge amount there about commercial business. Personal lines (car, house and van) is fine for a while but the real opportunities are in commercial business. Completed my CIP qualification while in the support role (6 exams in total to gain same) and a position came up in the underwriting department for the insurer I was working for, I applied for it and got it. Learned loads about the business in that job. After 18 months there was a company reshuffle and I was asked would I move to the personal lines underwriting department which I did. Learned a decent amount in that job too but was getting a little bored. Spoke to my boss, promises were made to me that were ultimately unfulfilled so I got a bit pissed off, applied to a small brokerage on a whim and took a job there.

Was getting on well, had a brilliant relationship with the owner/MD and was not looking for a move but was approached by a former colleague from the underwriting area that I had worked in. He had moved jobs 6 months previously and told me about a job that they had open but were having difficulty filling. Had a look at the spec, didn't think Id be able for it but applied anyway, was interviewed and offered the job in the space of 6 days and am there since mid 2019. Absolutely love the job. Its more in the compliance / risk space which is an area that is growing exponentially due to legislative requirements. I have sat and passed two compliance exams and sat the third one last Monday. All going well I will pass that then will have one more to sit in May, assuming I pass that I will gain the LCOI designation which opens a huge amount of doors as it is the benchmark qualification in compliance.

Best advice I could get would be try and get into an insurers rather than a brokers, much more opportunities. Do exams. Most of them are a piece of piss once you gain some industry knowledge. Be prepared to move around a bit. Anyone with some cop on and a willingness to learn can do well in the insurance sector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,916 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I know a young man, mid 20’s, who bought himself a van and advertised as a “man with a van” like many around the country. He clears gardens, cuts trees, bushes or whatever, fixed gutters, cleans windows, furniture removal, anything.
    Van, ladder, chainsaw, strimmer etc and able to use them.
    Not afraid to get his hands dirty and doesn’t charge extortionate rates either.
    Nice to be your own boss too.

He’s so much in demand that he can’t keep up with the work.

Advertisement