Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who have you used without any suprises re VAT/duty post Brexit?

Options
  • 10-01-2021 1:23pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So many UK sites are saying its business as usual with no additional duties and charges, which might be OK but none apart from Amazon from what I can see, seems to be mentioning the irish VAT element. These places are charging us UK VAT and we are likely to get stung with Irish VAT on the doorstep too....

Have bought something over the VAT threshold via Amazon UK as as expected the price on the screen was the price I paid with no nasty surprises on the doorstep.

Anyone had experiences with M&M, Sports Direct, White Company or other UK websites post Brexit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

A bit early for concrete examples but many of the large UK sites are operating like Amazon and are fine.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    A bit early for concrete examples but many of the large UK sites are operating like Amazon and are fine.

But are they though in reality?

Many say they are covering duties but unless they are registered to collect and pay Irish VAT I can't see how customers here won't get stung twice- paying UK VAT on the site and then Irish VAT on the doorstep plus admin fees.

People have presumably ordered and received orders post Brexit, would be interested to see what sites are safe to shop from in this respect and who are giving out false information saying everything is as normal when it's not.

But are they though in reality?

Many say they are covering duties but unless they are registered to collect and pay Irish VAT I can't see how customers here won't get stung twice- paying UK VAT on the site and then Irish VAT on the doorstep plus admin fees.

People have presumably ordered and received orders post Brexit, would be interested to see what sites are safe to shop from in this respect and who are giving out false information saying everything is as normal when it's not.

I'm not listing sites here but any I've seen, who say they are managing tax and duties, certainly are doing so when you get to checkout. A large number of businesses are registered for VAT here.

Some people may get caught out but they really can check very simply before they confirm their orders. It's not difficult.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I'm not listing sites here but any I've seen, who say they are managing tax and duties, certainly are doing so when you get to checkout. A large number of businesses are registered for VAT here.

Some people may get caught out but they really can check very simply before they confirm their orders. It's not difficult.

How do you check before ordering if a company is VAT registered, and therefore removing the UK VAT from the total, adding Irish VAT and paying it to the taxman (or to you have to ring/email/tweet).

Was hoping we could see real life examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭RCSATELLITES

So many UK sites are saying its business as usual with no additional duties and charges, which might be OK but none apart from Amazon from what I can see, seems to be mentioning the irish VAT element. These places are charging us UK VAT and we are likely to get stung with Irish VAT on the doorstep too....

Have bought something over the VAT threshold via Amazon UK as as expected the price on the screen was the price I paid with no nasty surprises on the doorstep.

Anyone had experiences with M&M, Sports Direct, White Company or other UK websites post Brexit?

Maybe they are talking / writing to their uk customers not irish ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

How do you check before ordering if a company is VAT registered, and therefore removing the UK VAT from the total, adding Irish VAT and paying it to the taxman (or to you have to ring/email/tweet).

Was hoping we could see real life examples.

If they are charging Sterling the items price should change when you add an Irish delivery address if they are applying our VAT. If it's a .ie website quoting in Euro you shouldn't have any issues.

Del2005 wrote: »
    If they are charging Sterling the items price should change when you add an Irish delivery address if they are applying our VAT. If it's a .ie website quoting in Euro you shouldn't have any issues.

Would be easier if they just said EU customers are ok in terms of not getting done for vat on the doorstep.

On the .ie website, anyone in any country can register one, doesn't mean they are shipping your order from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Is it conceivable that a UK firm wouldn't charge VAT as its for Ireland, but if it's value is less that €22 so no Irish VAT either?

Snotty wrote: »
    Is it conceivable that a UK firm wouldn't charge VAT as its for Ireland, but if it's value is less that €22 so no Irish VAT either?

That's what's happening at the moment - until July anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,596 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

M&M Direct have a banner on their landing page which links to a FAQ regarding delivery/additional costs.

brexit-banner-2_desktop.gif
    Has the order process changed because of Brexit?
    There are no changes to the way you shop with us, with all the same deals being available for you to snap up before anyone else does. For our Irish customers, we are covering all EU import duty and taxes so there is no additional cost to our customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Amazon makes it very clear and when you check out they deduct UK VAT and they add an estimation for Irish VAT and Import duties, if they are applicable.

They also make it clear that if their estimation is too low, they cover the difference (I am sure it is never too low, but it is good to know for comfort).

We have 2 or 3 orders in the post now, will see if they get delivered without any issue, other than maybe a delay.

All what people need to do, is to read what most normally don't.

In addition, Amazon customer service is always very good, so if anything does not go as expected they always sort you out.

If the seller was, let's pick a random name...help me thing.....Eir, for example...I would not do it and run the risk of having to put myself through the body inflicting pain and worse that Covid-19 like symptoms that involve trying to contact their service department.

Advertisement