Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Factory reset- Samsung S10 - owner passed away

Options
  • 10-01-2021 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

Hello folks,
    My brother sadly passed away late last year.
    My mum would like his Samsung S10 Plus re-used if possible.

What options do I have to get a factory reset on it (without knowing the unlock code).
    I'm aware of the boot menu factory reset steps, but this requires the Samsung / Google account to be known.

Now I'll bet your thinking this is a stolen phone, I can assure it's not but I do appreciate the technical aspects are just about identical.
    I might have access to his computer (have not tried this yet) so I might be able to access his email (assuming it's not password protected).

Thanks
    appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sorry for your loss.

If the lockout was bypassable it would make it useless. There was a bug that let you but if the phone was updated it probably no longer works:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/frp-bypass-samsung-s10-100-working.4066211/

If he'd set a next of kin config on google then you could use his account to wipe the device. It sounds like he hasn't though. In that case you need to replace the motherboard - essentially making it a new phone. €120 for the part + labour. Potentially not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭trackerman

Thanks Ed,
    He was only in his 50's and his death was sudden, so I doubt if has next of kin configured.

I may wait for the shops to re-open and ask at a good repair shop I know, but sounds like the phone is a loss.

Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I bypassed FRP on an A8 a few years ago. Needed to reflash the rom from sammobile and follow a guide but once I found the right files it was easy enough. If you can find a recent guide it would be worth trying. Since the phone software might not be on the latest version it may be worth while even trying the guide above from xda. If the phone doesn't have the latest patches applied then it might still work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

7I had an android phone 2 years ago I think it was huawei or Sony,
    I put in lock screen code,
    I forgot the code, it was a spare phone, eg 4 no code to unlock phone,
    I just went to a Chinese shop in Moore st
    They charged me 10 euro to erase the code,
    it takes 5 hours approx

Eg the pin code the phone asked for when you turn it on
    Make sure the phone is charged at least 70 per cent before you go to the shop
    I think they just plug it into a laptop
    and use a program on the phone

Try removing the sim card from The phone,
    And see if it still asks for a pin code
    Eg the pin no could just be locked to the sim card in the 720
    phone
    Turn on phone with no sim card
    Does it still ask for a code
    Sim cards usually have a puk code too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Sorry for your loss

If you have access to his computer and/or email you might stand a chance of resetting the phone code. Otherwise, contact Samsung. Failing that, you'l need to reflash the rom as DopeTech suggested. Removing the SIM :rolleyes: or SDcard won't do a thing - the Google login is stored on the phone itself.

I'd suggest that you contact Samsung when you have the phone and his computer together, in case you get a rep that knows what to do (rather than just sticking to a script)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

FanadMan wrote: »
    Sorry for your loss

If you have access to his computer and/or email you might stand a chance of resetting the phone code. Otherwise, contact Samsung. Failing that, you'l need to reflash the rom as DopeTech suggested. Removing the SIM :rolleyes: or SDcard won't do a thing - the Google login is stored on the phone itself.

I'd suggest that you contact Samsung when you have the phone and his computer together, in case you get a rep that knows what to do (rather than just sticking to a script)

I doubt any call centre is going to unlock another persons phone, they shouldn't even talk to the OP about the phone as they aren't the account holder.

i have a android phone , bought in 2020,
    i turn it off, i removed my sim card .
    it turns on ,goes straight to main menu,
    music,video ,app,s
    eg it does not ask me for any pin code.

when i turn on my phone everyday, it shows screen,
    input pin code,
    eg 1111, 4 no,s ,

i put in my code, eg 2222.
    eg i have to put in my sim card 4 no, code , pin no, when i turn on my phone .

i was told in a phone shop 2 years ago , the pin code can be erased if i go to any of the phone ,pc ,laptop, shops in moore street for a fee.

the android main screen appears,

IF you remove the sim card the pin code will probably appear.
    if you go to his laptop or pc go to gmail.com
    click login.

if the password has been stored in the browser,
    it will probaly login to his email account and you can reset the pin code.
    try logging in in chrome , firefox,
    opera.

I put my sim in 3 seconds ago,
    my phone is on,
    now the screen just says,
    ENTER Sim pin , you have 3 remaining attempts left.
    if i simply remove the sim card and turn off the phone ,
    the main android menu appears,
    eg message,s music ,youtube, conntact,s ,
    from there i can go to settings , RESET,
    eg reset phone to factory settings ,
    all gmail and personal data and any apps i installed will be erased.

the phone will be as new , when i bought it from the eir shop

EG IF I forget the pin ,the sim pin i can use the puk code,
    or else just buy a new sim card from the phone shop.
    when you buy a sim it comes with a card, sim ,phone no eg 0851234567 , puk, code,=
    phone unlocking code, allows you to unlock the sim if you forget the sim pin code

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

riclad wrote: »
    i have a android phone , bought in 2020,
    i turn it off, i removed my sim card .
    it turns on ,goes straight to main menu,
    music,video ,app,s
    eg it does not ask me for any pin code.

when i turn on my phone everyday, it shows screen,
    input pin code,
    eg 1111, 4 no,s ,

i put in my code, eg 2222.

the android main screen appears,

IF you remove the sim card the pin code will probably appear.
    if you go to his laptop or pc go to gmail.com
    click login.

if the password has been stored in the browser,
    it will probaly login to his email account and you can reset the pin code.
    try logging in in chrome , firefox,
    opera.

I put my sim in 3 seconds ago,
    my phone is on,
    now the screen just says,
    ENTER Sim pin , you have 3 remaining attempts left.
    if i simply remove the sim card and turn off the phone ,
    the main android menu appears,
    eg message,s music ,youtube, conntact,s ,
    from there i can go to settings , RESET,
    eg reset phone to factory settings ,
    all gmail and personal data and any apps i installed will be erased.

the phone will be as new , when i bought it from the eir shop

EG IF I forget the pin ,the sim pin i can use the puk code,
    or else just buy a new sim card from the phone shop.
    when you buy a sim it comes with a card, sim ,phone no , puk, code,
    phone unlocking code, allows you to unlock the sim if you forget the sim pin code

You're getting confused, there's a big difference between a sim pin and an unlock code.

Unlock code is used to allow access to the phone when you have had the screen locked.
    Removing the sim card will do literally nothing as the op's problem is that there's an unlock code not a sim pin in place.

Repeating about removing the sim and the pin dissapears is redundant in this scenario. It literally has nothing to do with sim cards, sim pins or puks, repeating the same wrong information won't make it correct .

The issue is a screen unlock code, it may be a four digit code, password or finger print, in this case clearly an four digit pin or password. Removing the sim card will NOT affect the above.

The original post says unlock code, if you are not a tech expert, this could
    be a screen unlock code.

or a sim unlock code

so removing the sim card will have no effect if its a Screen unlock code

if its a sim code, it will appear onscreen as menu , put in sim pin code .
    you have 3 remaining attempts left.

so non techies might refer to a sim pin as a unlock code,
    maybe.

Hold down the Power button until your Galaxy S10 turns off. Hold down the Volume up and Bixby buttons at the same time, then hold down the Power button, too. After the green Android logo appears, release all the buttons. Navigate up and down with the Volume keys, and highlight the wipe data/factory reset choice.

How to factory reset an unresponsive Galaxy S10
    You need to reset your Galaxy S10, but you’ve lost control of the touch screen. Don’t worry. You can reset even with an unresponsive touch screen by using the hardware keys. Just remember that you will lose anything you haven’t backed up. Here’s how to factory reset with the keys:

Hold down the Power button until your Galaxy S10 turns off.
    Hold down the Volume up and Bixby buttons at the same time, then hold down the Power button, too.
    After the green Android logo appears, release all the buttons.
    Navigate up and down with the Volume keys, and highlight the wipe data/factory reset choice.
    Hit the Power button to choose it.
    Hit Volume down to highlight the Yes — delete all user data choice.
    Hit Power to choose it.
    After you’ve performed the reset, Reboot system now should be selected, and you can hit the Power button to restart the S10.

• Advertisement

Hold down the Power button until your Galaxy S10 turns off. Hold down the Volume up and Bixby buttons at the same time, then hold down the Power button, too. After the green Android logo appears, release all the buttons. Navigate up and down with the Volume keys, and highlight the wipe data/factory reset choice.

How to factory reset an unresponsive Galaxy S10
    You need to reset your Galaxy S10, but you’ve lost control of the touch screen. Don’t worry. You can reset even with an unresponsive touch screen by using the hardware keys. Just remember that you will lose anything you haven’t backed up. Here’s how to factory reset with the keys:

Hold down the Power button until your Galaxy S10 turns off.
    Hold down the Volume up and Bixby buttons at the same time, then hold down the Power button, too.
    After the green Android logo appears, release all the buttons.
    Navigate up and down with the Volume keys, and highlight the wipe data/factory reset choice.
    Hit the Power button to choose it.
    Hit Volume down to highlight the Yes — delete all user data choice.
    Hit Power to choose it.
    After you’ve performed the reset, Reboot system now should be selected, and you can hit the Power button to restart the S10.

And when you do this, the phone will ask for your Google password. This is to stop people stealing phones and just wiping them.

From Samsung:
    Your device will process the factory reset. Once complete you will see "Data wipe complete" at the bottom of the screen. Press the Power button to select "Reboot device".
    Please note: It may take a few minutes for your device to reset. Wait while it reboots. It will power on automatically when it is ready to be set up. When it switches on, you will be prompted to go through the steps to set up the device as if it were the first time it has been used.

Please note: It may take a few minutes for your device to reset. Wait while it reboots. It will power on automatically when it is ready to be set up. When it switches on, you will be prompted to go through the steps to set up the device as if it were the first time it has been used.

Once your device has rebooted, you may be asked to enter your Google password. Enter your details to access your device.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Riclad, crawl back into your cave. Its called FACTORY RESET PROTECTION for a bloody reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dbentham

Sorry for your loss OP...
    A bit of a long-shot, but do you have access to a laptop / PC /tablet that your brother may have used?
    If so, search for "Samsung" in his web browser history. If he ever set-up a Samsung account and if the laptop 'remembers' his credentials for same, then it should be possible to login with these credentials to: https://findmymobile.samsung.com/

From this portal, you should be able to remotely unlock the screen of his phone as long as it's in the vicinity of a Wifi network that it is familiar with, OR has an active sim with mobile-data connection such as 4G etc. in order to receive the commands.
    I accept it's a long-shot, but possibly worth a try nonetheless

if you can get acess to his gmail account theres a way to reset the pin .

Unlock Google Device Protection
    When your phone is reset using the Recovery menu, your phone will ask you for your Google account information. Simply enter it the same way you normally do.

But here's what to do if the situation is a bit complicated:

If you cannot remember any of your Google account information, you can send your device, along with proof of purchase, to an authorized Samsung Service Center.
    Google Sign in screen
    If you have forgotten your password, you’ll be able to create a new password through the Google website. However, Google requires a 24-hour cool-down period before the new password will unlock your phone.
    If you have multiple Google accounts and don't know which account was set up with the phone, you can visit the Google Device Manager and check to see if the phone is in the list of devices registered to the account.

if he sent you an email at least you,ll know the email adress ,
    eg tim3444@gmail.com

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00083965/

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062983/

re google website i presume they mean www.gmail.com

or go to a local shop ,phone.pc repair shop, they should be able to erase the pin code for 10 euro approx.
    eg phone repair shop, not an eir or eir/vodafone shop.
    look on his pc or laptop,if he had one
    he may have the browser, chrome ,firefox set to auto login
    to gmail .com
    once you put in the gmail account name at gmail.com

Google Sign in screen
    If you have forgotten your password, you’ll be able to create a new password through the Google website. However, Google requires a 24-hour cool-down period before the new password will unlock your phone.

eg you have to wait 24 hour period before the new password will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

if you can get acess to his gmail account theres a way to reset the pin .

Unlock Google Device Protection
    When your phone is reset using the Recovery menu, your phone will ask you for your Google account information. Simply enter it the same way you normally do.

But here's what to do if the situation is a bit complicated:

If you cannot remember any of your Google account information, you can send your device, along with proof of purchase, to an authorized Samsung Service Center.
    Google Sign in screen
    If you have multiple Google accounts and don't know which account was set up with the phone, you can visit the Google Device Manager and check to see if the phone is in the list of devices registered to the account.

if he sent you an email at least you,ll know the email adress ,
    eg tim3444@gmail.com

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00083965/

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062983/

re google website i presume they mean www.gmail.com

or go to a local shop ,phone.pc repair shop, they should be able to erase the pin code for 10 euro approx.
    eg phone repair shop, not an eir or eir/vodafone shop.
    look on his pc or laptop,if he had one
    he may have the browser, chrome ,firefox set to auto login
    to gmail .com
    once you put in the gmail account name at gmail.com

Google Sign in screen

eg you have to wait 24 hour period before the new password will work.

Dude give up the copy and paste crap you're clearly trolling at this point

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Dude give up the copy and paste crap you're clearly trolling at this point

Surprised that there wasn't a suggestion to put Linux on it in there somewhere :D

Advertisement