Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tina Satchwell *Mod note in op*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Would the motive be to dig up the body looking for jewelery? Would there be any other reasons to dig up a body like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

private land burial vs construction project?

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

Wonder if they'll give any more details on crime all later?

private land burial vs construction project?

I’m assuming not knowingly - coupled with illegal dumping-would that actually be realistic? You’d notice a coffin using a JCB - and surely you wouldn’t knowingly dispose of a coffin once dug up?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

On Crimeline now

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭NutmegGirl

Acc to the I Times this am, they’re exploring the possibility that the woman may have been exhumed, a crucifix was found close by and also coffin handles
    The crucifix is app a type that would be on a coffin lid or placed in a dead persons hands
    Would explain why there’s no match with anyone missing but is so strange, can’t think of any reason why someone would exhume a body and then dump it, without anyone noticing a disturbed grave

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I can't help but think that in general the only ones that would notice a disturbed grave would be relatives of the deceased. If a grave disturbance wasn't reported then...

Anyhow, this all has nowt to do with Tina now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Now that we know it isnt Tina hopefully the Boards armchair detectives can get on the case to find out who it is and solve this new mystery.

columbo_main.jpg?fit=300%2C225

"just one more thing about that body found near Midleton"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

NutmegGirl wrote: »
    Acc to the I Times this am, they’re exploring the possibility that the woman may have been exhumed, a crucifix was found close by and also coffin handles
    The crucifix is app a type that would be on a coffin lid or placed in a dead persons hands
    Would explain why there’s no match with anyone missing but is so strange, can’t think of any reason why someone would exhume a body and then dump it, without anyone noticing a disturbed grave

Ghoulish, like a plot line out of love hate

screamer wrote: »
    Ghoulish, like a plot line out of love hate

Yes that storyline came to mind alright when I read about this turn of the books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

There are special burial gowns- it's not at all uncommon and older people especially might favour these but and also, being buried in a night-dress is again not totally unheard of.

What sort of situation could lead to this horrible event taking place? I can't think of even one scenario- it doesn't make sense.

Its really bizarre especially with the coffin handles found nearby. Only thing I can think of is a family discovering some news after a members death and then not wanting them buried there.

There was a case of grave digging in Tallaght back in 2016. On that occasion it was part of the Willie Maughan & Ana Varslavane murders, they were both killed by a Traveller criminal gang with their bodies never found. Willies father Joe kept asking for the bodies back and he did lots of interviews stating the same in the print media and he also went on Crimeline. The night after the his media appeal and in an attempt to shut him up the same Traveller gang who had murdered his son Willie went and dug up the grave of his other son Michael who had died of meningitis years previous at the age of 30. They didnt take Michaels body but they did completely wreck the grave, it was really deprived stuff.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/how-low-can-you-get-familys-horror-as-gang-suspected-of-murdering-man-and-his-girlfriend-dig-up-his-brothers-grave-34977053.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Its really bizarre especially with the coffin handles found nearby. Only thing I can think of is a family discovering some news after a members death and then not wanting them buried there.

It's very unlikely that this body found was a moved gravesite- who buries their loved ones in a nightie?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Ah, but I think burial in a nightgown is not so unusual.
    People used to be in a "habit" which is a kind of robe; a night gown is not so different.

I might be completely imagining things but did i hear somewhere once that nuns are buried in white dresses?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

NutmegGirl wrote: »

agree, this story is really bizarre. crazy stuff.
    I can't help but think that in general the only ones that would notice a disturbed grave would be relatives of the deceased. If a grave disturbance wasn't reported then...

thinking the opposite, digging up an urn maybe possible it goes unnoticed, but a coffin with the remains? would take hours to do the job and then to keep everything as it was before? Impossible. And graves and graveyards are under scrutiny, mostly from the elderly population, it's not that nobody cares there, quite the opposite...gossiping who did what and who did what not..
    anyway, maybe we should open another thread about this crazy story..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Anyhow, this all has nowt to do with Tina now.
    Would the motive be to dig up the body looking for jewelery? Would there be any other reasons to dig up a body like this?

If a body and remains of a coffin were found - I'd be looking to identify those remains - so that where they had originally been buried could be checked to see who is buried here now - if anyone at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

tara73 wrote: »
    agree, this story is really bizarre. crazy stuff.

thinking the opposite, digging up an urn maybe possible it goes unnoticed, but a coffin with the remains? would take hours to do the job and then to keep everything as it was before? Impossible. And graves and graveyards are under scrutiny, mostly from the elderly population, it's not that nobody cares there, quite the opposite...gossiping who did what and who did what not..
    anyway, maybe we should open another thread about this crazy story..

Huge job, even with mechanical diggers. They found coffin handles and a crucifix that would be placed in the deceased hands or affixed to the coffin. You're right. bizarre & crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

There is always and identifying nameplate on coffin lids. If it wasnt found it possibly was removed but all very strange indeed!

Some Interesting accounts from a former Cork County Archaeologist on unidentified remains found over the years.

https://corkarchaeologist.com/2014/07/31/cupboards-and-skeletons-in-youghal-under-contruction/

gozunda wrote: »
    Some Interesting accounts from a former Cork County Archaeologist on unidentified remains found over the years.

https://corkarchaeologist.com/2014/07/31/cupboards-and-skeletons-in-youghal-under-contruction/

That was a really interesting read;
    and throws light on some salient facts, such as; it is often (apparently) not possible to be certain of the cause of death, just from the bones; or even the age of the bones, sometimes.

Though in our Midleton case, the Guards do seem quite sure of the dating to 10 years or so, possibly judging by the state of the nightgown etc.

• Advertisement

So... we're back to square one with Tina.

The longer it goes on and the more the trail gets cold, the less chance of a conviction I'd imagine :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

inthehat wrote: »

The longer it goes on and the more the trail gets cold, the less chance of a conviction I'd imagine :(.

Conviction? Are you suggesting a crime happened?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Conviction? Are you suggesting a crime happened?

True... we don't know.

I'll rephrase... the less chance of a successful conclusion.

True... we don't know.

Not sure I agree: currently (with all due respect to Mrs Satchwell and her family) this is still a "Missing Person" investigation.

As time goes by, if she doesn't turn up, sooner or later it may be re-classified as a murder investigation if any more evidence emerges.

Or eventually somebody WILL find some trace - nobody vanishes into thin air.
    Ireland is not a big place, but it is a lot of places, fields etc to be searched!!

Of course., anything or anyone that falls into the sea may never be seen or heard of again; but even then, sometimes the years reveal a clue - some bone or object washed up on a shoreline somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭blackvalley

True... we don't know.

Depends on our definition of a successful conclusion.
    If someone wanted to totally vanish for personal reasons then perhaps we have a successful conclusion already .
    On the other hand if a successful conclusion means satisfying a morbid curiosity then we may never have one. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

And Richard survives to live another day

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭blackvalley

And Richard survives to live another day

And perhaps so does Tina .;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

4th anniversary of Tinas dissapperance and her sister in the UK gave an interview to RedFM
    "I have one very special message for her - Tina if you are out there, your family is here. Come to us - we love you and will help you in any way possible. If you need us, we will come to you - whatever it takes. Just let us know that you are fine and you are safe," she told Red FM's Neil Prendeville Show.

Teresa urged anyone with information to contact the authorities in Ireland or the UK.

"Please let the police know - take us out of our misery and let us know where she is. She is all the time (on our mind) - always and always will be. I do a lot of searching, with papers and stuff, in the hope that she reads them. I do papers in Dublin and Cork, on her anniversary"

"It gets very, very hard for me and my family. It is the not knowing where she is more than anything."

Teresa said her family are very tightknit.

"There are four sisters and three brothers - we grew up very close. I have been in the UK for over 30 years. I seen Tina a few years ago, we went for a walk in the park and we had a heart-to-heart and she was fine then. "She would speak to her family, Tina would. If she was down she would speak to her family - we are very close.

"(Tina) just wouldn't get up and go. She had been in great form. She was happy. There was nothing out of character."As kids growing up, she was always bubbly and playing. Very clingy and very happy. She was always strong growing up - a very independent young girl. She loved life. From day one, she loved her clothes, jewellery or make-up."

More here
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/she-is-always-on-our-mind-sister-of-tina-satchwell-pleads-for-help-on-anniversary-of-disappearance-40215815.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

4th anniversary of Tinas dissapperance and her sister in the UK gave an interview to RedFM

More here
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/she-is-always-on-our-mind-sister-of-tina-satchwell-pleads-for-help-on-anniversary-of-disappearance-40215815.html

Doesn't sound like her or the family are pointing any fingers at the fella, which is interesting I think.

• Advertisement

Another take on the interview

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/tina-satchwells-sister-believes-someone-20224381

Tina's sister
    “You don’t just vanish into thin air for nothing. You don’t just get up and walk away from your family. You don’t just get up and walk away from your husband,”

Tina's husband

In a message directly to Tina he added: "To Tina, the hurt and pain of you leaving the way you did can't be put in to words. But even though, I'm still willing to try to put things behind us and work through any problems.”

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement