Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Declined motor insurance Ireland

Options
  • 10-01-2021 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Has anyone faced an issue with declined insurance in Ireland?

In Jan 2020 one of the named drivers on my insurance met with an accident.
    In December I got a new car and when I tried to shop around insurance companies declined to give a quote. I approached Insurance Ireland with 3 declined letters and later Liberty Insurance was nominated to give me a quote.

a few days back Liberty Insurance gave me a quote of €4789 (comprehensive cover). I feel this is ridiculously high for Citreon C4 1.6 Grand Picasso. wanted to know if anyone had faced similar issue and/or any suggestions to handle this.

Thank you,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Remove the named driver or pay. New drivers are getting quotes of ~€3k.

The car isn't the problem it's the named driver having a big claim against them that's put the price so high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

The claim belongs to the policyholder and the circumstances and cost will be taken in to account by insurers, regardless of whether the driver stays on the policy or not

• Subscribers Posts: 41,486 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Is the Jan 2020 accident still an open claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MullFibs

The claim belongs to the policyholder and the circumstances and cost will be taken in to account by insurers, regardless of whether the driver stays on the policy or not

This is true. Even though the named driver is removed from my policy, the claim still affects me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭zg3409

How about ringing a good few brokers and see if they can direct you. Declined quotes are just a crazy quote to say they gave you a last resort option. As said if case is open get it closed, and try get a real quote from anybody.

Have you contacted everyone on this list? (Online quotes won't work, you need to ring them)
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2057619504

Brokers might be more helpful.
    You don't mention if your car is over 10 years old as this rules out some companies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement