Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for new laptop

Comments

may be ok but check reviews to see if the thermals hold up for gaming

you'd want at least the 3500u and vega 8 for games

the new intel cpus with the XE graphics are good for integrated graphics - e.g. 1135G7 i5 cpu which beat the ryzens in gaming now with the 11th gen. in fact it matches the level of basic graphics cards like the mx250 etc look for "Iris XE"

you can find them in dell's basic/mid-level stuff but again look at any reviews for actual models for thermal throttling with gaming. no point in having the capability throttled

you could find your budget going into 2nd-hand gaming laptop territory also - have a look at adverts maybe if you would go that way

iris xe vs vega 8

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭dantheman95lbp

I'll have a look at some of those Intel models, any you would recommend? Would feel a bit paranoid buying a second hand gaming laptop too, will have a look anyway though

not widely available - only really see them in dells

e.g.

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/laptops/inspiron-15-3000/spd/inspiron-15-3501-laptop/cn30112?view=configurations

i5 cpus and up only. not the i3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

Hi guys, my old laptop just gave up on me a few days ago so I'm looking for some recommendations. I've a budget of around €500, maybe a bit higher. The laptop is usually kept in the house and moved between the bedroom and living room, and I mostly use it for gaming and streaming videos. I'm not too worried about getting a high spec gaming machine since I mostly play older games now like Fallout New Vegas or Total War, have a PlayStation to deal with modern stuff. I was looking at a Lenovo on Littlewoods that seemed interesting, any thoughts?

https://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/lenovo-ideapad-3-laptop-14-inch-full-hdnbspamd-ryzen-5nbsp8gb-ram-256gb-ssd-optional-microsoft-365-family-1-year-grey/1600545664.prd

I suggest you get a recent-ish 2nd hand Dell Latitude 73xx or 74xx or 75xx model that still has some warranty left. These are well built and last for ages. Often they have 3 years onsite so if there are any issues, you can get those fixed. If not in a rush, you should be able to get something like this for close to your budget with warranty available:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Latitude-E7490-i7-8650U-1-9GHz-16GB-RAM-256GB-SSD-1920x1080-14-FHD/193817237244

glasso wrote: »
    not widely available - only really see them in dells

e.g.

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/laptops/inspiron-15-3000/spd/inspiron-15-3501-laptop/cn30112?view=configurations

i5 cpus and up only. not the i3.

Yeah had a quick look there, doesn't seem like they'll be much good to me except for that one you linked possibly, would be nearly better off looking at dedicated gaming laptops when the prices start going up into those ranges

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

i required an additional laptop for my kids to work from home during lockdown,

Personally i've saved €100.88 on purchasing a Dell Inspiron 5593 15.6" Laptop from Dell rather then my local Curry's for the identical specification,
    Here are some links to show
    Currys:
    https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing...qaiam&istBid=t

Dell:
    https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/cty/...laptop/cn59324

Plus I got 12 months accidental damage cover for €25 from Dell compared to an additional cost of €170 at Currys for there cover which is 24 months.

Creating a further saving of €145 on the insurance
    Total savings €245.88 by purchasing from Dell instead of Currys

It took three weeks to arrive from the Dell manufacturing site in Poland where with Currys would have it home the same day or delivery within five days; that's the only difference aside from the cost,

It seems Dell laptops are manufactured in there china plant where desktop's are built in Poland each purchase is built to order which takes a little time, the laptops pass through the Poland site for inspection prior to forwarding on to the customer,

Laptopsdirect is another supplier from the UK; some people have had bad experiences however I've purchased various items four televisions and dell accessories from them across nine years for different people and never had any problem,

There sometimes cheaper than Dell for official Dell branded accessories,
    I've purchased a Dell P2415Q monitor and Dell AC511M sound bar which clips under the said monitor both were €145.67 cheaper from laptopsdirect compared to purchasing from Dell directly.

Amazon UK might have some good deals too if you forget about the whole Brexit thing.

those links go nowhere btw

those links go nowhere btw

sorry I copied the original post from a thread which I post last September,
    link: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114596815
    but my main points remain relevant even though the links most likely have expired,

dell work out cheaper to custom build the spec you require, even if the custom spec which you choose is identical to a laptop which dell sell in mass loads to retail suppliers.

Yeah, those Dells are starting to look more appealing the more I look at them. To be honest though, I think I might just get a cheap laptop for €200 or so to get me by for a few months and start saving for a proper gaming desktop or laptop. What would be a good low budget laptop to look at? Used to have an old Lenovo that we bought in Tesco for like €180 or something similar and it lasted years

• Advertisement

Yeah, those Dells are starting to look more appealing the more I look at them. To be honest though, I think I might just get a cheap laptop for €200 or so to get me by for a few months and start saving for a proper gaming desktop or laptop. What would be a good low budget laptop to look at? Used to have an old Lenovo that we bought in Tesco for like €180 or something similar and it lasted years

might get a deal on Argos.ie too, or a local second hand store try CEX
    https://ie.webuy.com/
    Littlewoods factor in an interest fee to everything they sell whether your paying up front or not, which makes them quite expensive,
    Acer are quite good too, my favorite before dell was Toshiba, I always had a Toshiba laptop but the hard drives never lasted, strangely Toshiba had Hitachi hard drives installed, most are solid state these days though,

LenWoods wrote: »
    might get a deal on Argos.ie too, or a local second hand store try CEX
    https://ie.webuy.com/
    Littlewoods factor in an interest fee to everything they sell whether your paying up front or not, which makes them quite expensive,
    Acer are quite good too, my favorite before dell was Toshiba, I always had a Toshiba laptop but the hard drives never lasted, strangely Toshiba had Hitachi hard drives installed, most are solid state these days though,

CEX never crossed my mind actually, I'll have a look at they're stuff straight away, at least I know they'll be fairly reliable when it comes to used tech

buy a decent second hand one instead of a dirt cheap crap one.

you will get nothing decent new under 450

e.g. https://www.adverts.ie/laptops/lenovo-thinkpad-edge-e531-15-6-intel-core-i3-3rd-generation-ssd-laptop-pc/21553329

bargain 20 euro off or something

could probably sell it for similar in a few months

i3, ssd, 8gb ram . will run fine.

solid ibm / lenovo thinkpad

seller with good rep

cex prices are too high for most 2nd-hand stuff

CEX never crossed my mind actually, I'll have a look at they're stuff straight away, at least I know they'll be fairly reliable when it comes to used tech
    I think of Cex all the time lol

Thanks for the heads up lads, it's funny really, CEX is usually my first port of call for these things but never thought of it this time for some reason. That's a good point about getting a decent second hand one Glasso, will probably get much more bang for my buck that way

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Cabra22

Hi
    Has anyone bought from Dell.ie since Brexit? If I order from dell.ie and the laptop I buy comes from the UK will I be charged customs duty and vat as a result of Brexit?

I contacted customer care who couldn't answer my quesion and the sales guy had to ask the finance team who claim I wouldn't be charged any extra. They dont have a written statement/policy in place that states this.

I don't want to buy on the say so from a guy who had to ask someone else.

thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Cabra22 wrote: »
    Hi
    Has anyone bought from Dell.ie since Brexit? If I order from dell.ie and the laptop I buy comes from the UK will I be charged customs duty and vat as a result of Brexit?

I contacted customer care who couldn't answer my quesion and the sales guy had to ask the finance team who claim I wouldn't be charged any extra. They dont have a written statement/policy in place that states this.

I don't want to buy on the say so from a guy who had to ask someone else.

thanks in advance

Bought a monitor just there from Dell.ie. Free delivery and no customs were included so should be all good

• Registered Users Posts: 7 OP_rah

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    Bought a monitor just there from Dell.ie. Free delivery and no customs were included so should be all good

Have you had your monitor delivered yet? I'm just about to place an order with Dell but if I have to pay further charges once it reaches Ireland I think I'll forget about it. Can't find a clear answer on their website.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

OP_rah wrote: »
    Have you had your monitor delivered yet? I'm just about to place an order with Dell but if I have to pay further charges once it reaches Ireland I think I'll forget about it. Can't find a clear answer on their website.

I've ordered a few items off Dell over the last year and they've all been shipped from China (Wuhan). I don't see how it would be impacted by Brexit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭pah

Any new laptop that costs less than 200 notes is going to be a complete POS

• Advertisement

I've ordered a few items off Dell over the last year and they've all been shipped from China (Wuhan). I don't see how it would be impacted by Brexit.

Very true, all Dell laptops and monitors are manufactured in China, desktops are manufactured in Poland,
    Laptops and monitors tend to pass through the Poland site prior to arring at there destination,
    I'm not sure why this is, perhaps a quality check or Dell shipping in bulk containers between there two sites, or just to combine with accessories to complete order.
    But all nothing to do with the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 OP_rah

OK cheers, their website had an estimated delivery time of 5 days so made me think they might be shipping from UK.

I'll go ahead and give them a try anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jkljkljkl

buy a decent second hand one instead of a dirt cheap crap one.

you will get nothing decent new under 450

e.g.

bargain 20 euro off or something

could probably sell it for similar in a few months

i3, ssd, 8gb ram . will run fine.

solid ibm / lenovo thinkpad

seller with good rep

cex prices are too high for most 2nd-hand stuff

Hi I saw on his page that there a few other different types of lenovos e.g b50, z50, g50. What is the difference between them, Is thinkpad the best. Thanks for any advice

Advertisement