Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build for Architect

Options
  • 10-01-2021 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭

Hey, just looking for some thoughts as I've been out of the PC hardware game for a while. Was initially going to purchase this Dell for the old man and throw another 8GB ram into it (I believe AutoCad and VectorWorks can be a hog), but thought maybe I can get better value for money building it myself (although I can get a 10-15% discount on that linked dell).

1. What is your budget? 750 euro

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? AutoCad (2D), Vectorworks, photoshop and image editing software

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5a. If yes, what size do you need.

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1920x1080, no plans to upgrade

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes, if it’s straight forward enough.

8. How can you pay? Credit or Debit Card. Can do Bank Transfer either if savings are worth it.

9. When are you purchasing? This month (January).

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? No help required.

Thanks folks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Coyler

My advice is don't build for two reasons. First reason is parts are just not available or are priced too high. Second reason is when its for business just buy for Dell/HP so you have a product warranty. For something that earns you money you cannot afford to spend time troubleshooting issues. Custom rigs are like kit/sports cars. You want to get your Dad a Volvo from a main dealer.

And I'm not getting into how difficult it will be to deal with claiming back VAT from UK or European sources or even writing off the cost disparate bits of hardware.

Check the XPS line as the parts are usually a little better and it's focused on business use.

For requirements, you are right to go for a discrete GPU. 2D Autocad is CPU focused but Vectorworks is GPU dependant. I'd call Dell and ask them to spec you a rig like above but with 16GB of RAM. Again, make them own it. Do not deal with the hardware. Take it from somebody who had to learn it the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Coyler wrote: »
    My advice is don't build for two reasons. First reason is parts are just not available or are priced too high. Second reason is when its for business just buy for Dell/HP so you have a product warranty. For something that earns you money you cannot afford to spend time troubleshooting issues. Custom rigs are like kit/sports cars. You want to get your Dad a Volvo from a main dealer.

And I'm not getting into how difficult it will be to deal with claiming back VAT from UK or European sources or even writing off the cost disparate bits of hardware.

Check the XPS line as the parts are usually a little better and it's focused on business use.

For requirements, you are right to go for a discrete GPU. 2D Autocad is CPU focused but Vectorworks is GPU dependant. I'd call Dell and ask them to spec you a rig like above but with 16GB of RAM. Again, make them own it. Do not deal with the hardware. Take it from somebody who had to learn it the hard way.

Don't think you can reclaim VAT on purchases outside Ireland but you can ask will they sell Ex VAT and provide a company VAT registration number. Most I've dealt with have been happy to sell Ex VAT but that was before Brexit. Big issue I'd see with UK would be delivery tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

The requirements are fairly use specific, there is a big difference between working on standard 2d drawings in Autocad and working on a 60mb 3d BIM file in Vectorworks.

For 'plain' autocad, Autodesk recommend something like:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/System-requirements-for-AutoCAD-2018.html

Vectorworks is more similar to Autodesk Revit, so something like the mid range ('value') spec from the attached would work.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/System-requirements-for-Autodesk-Revit-2021-products.html

I would agree that buying direct from Dell/HP is a better option tan a self build, however be careful. If you mention CAD/BIM to Dell they will direct you towards their professional workstation lines ('Precision') which can get eye wateringly pricey and are overkill in the majority of cases. I run BIM and CAD fairly well on a high spec Inspiron machine, a good XPS would run most things very well also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Thanks folks, I went into this without much knowledge of the current issues with getting the components (I assumed it was just high end GFX cards). And the additional warranty of getting a Dell is a big bonus.

I'll reach out to Dell and see what they can do, I wasn't aware you could get them to modify the build anymore, I really would like to give him 16GB of ram but I guess worse case scenario and I just try to get a matching 8GB stick if need be. I'm also keeping an eye on the Dell Outlet store, and there can be some nice systems appearing on that.

Thanks all!

Advertisement