Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart switch for heat recovery mechanical ventilation

Options
  • 10-01-2021 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking for a smart switch to replace the one that switches on and off my MHRV. All I see are switches for controlling lights. I just want to be able to control it through my phone/Alexa, as sometimes the wife feels the living room a bit drafty, and it would be nice to switch it on and off without having to go to the hot press.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I would suggest using Sonoff. Cheap, easy to install with full app control and it integrates with google Home and Alexa.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Zilog

2011 wrote: »
    I would suggest using Sonoff. Cheap, easy to install with full app control and it integrates with google Home and Alexa.
    Connected a Sonoff R2 Pro four channel switch a few years ago to my own MHVR:

The MHVR panel is the smaller, single gang panel with the Sonoff below it.
    You can see the lights on both panels change at the same time.

This Sonoff switch completely isolates it's power supply from the control relays and is connected to digital inputs provided on the MHVR.
    What you can do and how to do it will vary depending on the MHVR.
    The nice thing about this Sonoff is that all 4 relays are both NC/NO and support both latched and momentary switching.
    HTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Zilog wrote: »
    Connected a Sonoff R2 Pro four channel switch a few years ago to my own MHVR:

The MHVR panel is the smaller, single gang panel with the Sonoff below it.
    You can see the lights on both panels change at the same time.

This Sonoff switch completely isolates it's power supply from the control relays and is connected to digital inputs provided on the MHVR.
    What you can do and how to do it will vary depending on the MHVR.
    The nice thing about this Sonoff is that all 4 relays are both NC/NO and support both latched and momentary switching.
    HTH.

Thanks, I will have a look at home. I don't know if I understand you very well!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

you could keep it really simple and use a SwitchBot:
    https://www.switch-bot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Zilog

Thanks, I will have a look at home. I don't know if I understand you very well!
    Once you get your head around it, it's not too difficult!
    I like to tinker with this stuff anyway.
    Do you have a wiring diagram or table of input/outputs you can post up?

One the other hand, the Switchbot idea is great and simple!

• Advertisement

Zilog wrote: »
    Once you get your head around it, it's not too difficult!
    I like to tinker with this stuff anyway.
    Do you have a wiring diagram or table of input/outputs you can post up?

One the other hand, the Switchbot idea is great and simple!

bought the bot for 25 quid, let's see how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭S'

I have used Sonoff humidity sensors with a Vent Axia MEV unit i have installed in the attic.

4 x humidity sensors for the wetrooms. €10 from aliexpress
    1 x Sonoff bridge connected to wifi network
    1 x Sonoff S26 smart plug (to turn on/off the mev unit automatically)

Once the adjustable humidity set-point is reached (set on the app) in any of the wetrooms the MEV unit switches on. I have wired the MEV unit to run at 80% speed when unit is turns on.

11.2kWp E/W split arra. Mayo

S' wrote: »
    I have used Sonoff humidity sensors with a Vent Axia MEV unit i have installed in the attic.

4 x humidity sensors for the wetrooms. €10 from aliexpress
    1 x Sonoff bridge connected to wifi network
    1 x Sonoff S26 smart plug (to turn on/off the mev unit automatically)

Once the adjustable humidity set-point is reached (set on the app) in any of the wetrooms the MEV unit switches on. I have wired the MEV unit to run at 80% speed when unit is turns on.

Very interesting

Advertisement