Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Multipass wrote: »
    In 3 weeks from now.

There is construction going on at racecourses.

So they're putting in dividers, no need to do that 3 months in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Yeah they’re suggesting schools going back in March. I don’t have children but I hear from people with to children that that’s a big thing for them.

That's great. That's great for them. And that's important for them. But there's a sizable population that don't have kids that would like something, anything to keep their minds off the looming dread of Level 5 lockdown. Throw people a bone like.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

Unfortunate IT picked it up

No further easing of restrictions, beyond the phased return of schools from early March, are likely to be announced by Government next week after the State’s public health team warned of a plateau in the fight against Covid-19.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-tight-restrictions-to-remain-until-may-as-case-numbers-plateau-1.4489030

I honestly hope thats wrong. I mean we ll have 1-2 m vaccinated by end of March, how in gods name can level 5 restrictions remain until May??

Because for reasons only known to themselves, they set a ridiculous opening up criteria of <100 cases for 28 days.

And with the weekly decrease of cases now at less than 10%, they find themselves painted into a corner where we wouldn't hit that target until June even with a 10% weekly decrease in case numbers.

BsYUnnR.png

So they can either admit they got it wrong, or they can continue this death march project with all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

josip wrote: »
    There is a 3rd possibility.
    It's more practical to lockdown the entire country for 14 months than to attempt any kind of reform and improvement of the HSE.

That's more option 2. Total incompetence.

Multipass wrote: »
    In 3 weeks from now.

There is construction going on at racecourses.

Construction and trades have already started back.
    There's a driveway and entrance being built at a house up the road from us.
    Painters have been in all week at a house on our street.
    Nobody is bothering to hide any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,235 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

That's great. That's great for them. And that's important for them. But there's a sizable population that don't have kids that would like something, anything to keep their minds off the looming dread of Level 5 lockdown. Throw people a bone like.
    That’s kind of the point. The last poster wanted them to throw the people a bone. It turns out they’re opening schools which is pretty big for a lot of people, but it’s not enough.

Peopep aren’t happy and throwing them bones won’t actually make them happy. They’re better to stick to the plan of getting numbers down, getting the vaccine rolled out and reopening to stay open, the throwing people bones. Because people won’t be happy with being thrown bones.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭antgal23

It's probably been highlighted here already but I have a question

If 2/3 s of new cases are under 45 ( not going to die) and numbers are falling why persist with Level 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

RGS wrote: »
    Anyone you believes the government messaging has been on point is living in dreamland.

They have been all over the place.

Martin giving a interview to the Mirror last night and stating we will remain in level 5 till may at least was taking the piss.

This should have been done on the tv on the 6pm news as a proper government broadcast not snuck out in a late night interview.

And where is martin this morning to explain his comments--probably on his way back to Cork for the weekend.

I know they are "essential" workers but I would love our government to go home and work from the kitchen table or bedroom until 1 may and see how they cope with a lock down they are basically exempt from. I know it wont happen.

We should be protesting outside his home [either his Cork one or one he no doubt has in Dublin] day and night and see if he likes his "Stay at home" mandate so much.

antgal23 wrote: »
    It's probably been highlighted here already but I have a question

If 2/3 s of new cases are under 45 ( not going to die) and numbers are falling why persist with Level 5?

Yes, it's been highlighted 4 posts above yours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭CONSI

What I find frustrating is that originally we had an R Rate that we had to get below, then it was cases, then it was hospitalisations. The message doesnt remain consistent. Places like Kerry or some other counties have been trending below 10 cases a day for a while and still cant reopen or extend their 5km movement (not in Kerry myself but it was one county I remember from the report I saw). People can take 9 more weeks of this when the vaccine roll out plan is such a shambles and no end in sight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Instead of continuing at Level 5 for another 9 weeks what I would prefer to happen is have real draconian restrictions for 3 to 4 weeks instead. Like the French did have a letter where you can only go out for 1 hour a day for excersie or go to a shop..curfew at 9pm. Can only travel 2km like the initial lockdown. Then you should see the numbers drop and then maybe open it up in mid April at lever 3/4. Waiting until mid May or beyond at level 5 is cruel...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

My son has a few buddies over today and he's heading off tonight for a house party. He's thrilled and I'm thrilled for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

That’s kind of the point. The last poster wanted them to throw the people a bone. It turns out they’re opening schools which is pretty big for a lot of people, but it’s not enough.

Peopep aren’t happy and throwing them bones won’t actually make them happy. They’re better to stick to the plan of getting numbers down, getting the vaccine rolled out and reopening to stay open, the throwing people bones. Because people won’t be happy with being thrown bones.

I wouldn't consider opening schools to be a consolidation to the public at all in any case.

And when you have people in government talking about the potential of a winter lockdown in 2021 the "reopen to stay open" line of thought is rather difficult for people to get behind.

From your perspective, and apparently the government perspective, the best way to reduce Covid transmission and protect the health care service is via a full lockdown. I can't disagree, maybe some people who are more up to date with the data might say an effective tracing system is more effective but I don't know so I can't argue that. So OK, Level 5 lockdown is the most effective way at reducing Covid transmission, but I think that what a lot of people are saying is that looking at it purely through that prism is the wrong way to go about it. Obviously you want to reduce numbers, hospitalizations and deaths as much as possible, but equally there's something to be said for balance in regards to the everyday lives of people, in regards to some people's livelihoods ect.

You can't tell me that if they said, OK in April we plan on opening up certain services, we will allow otherdoor gatherings with 1 other household, we will allow non contact sports, all things which you'd imagine are reasonably low risk, that the tone on this thread and the tone elsewhere today would be the same. And there's absolutely no way that you can justify 5 months of full lockdown (on top of however many weeks there was before the break in December) only to end up in a position where our Summer looks all but gone and they're still hinting at potential further lockdowns. Nobody can justify that.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Instead of continuing at Level 5 for another 9 weeks what I would prefer to happen is have real draconian restrictions for 3 to 4 weeks instead. Like the French did have a letter where you can only go out for 1 hour a day for excersie or go to a shop..curfew at 9pm. Can only travel 2km like the initial lockdown. Then you should see the numbers drop and then maybe open it up in mid April at lever 3/4. Waiting until mid May or beyond at level 5 is cruel...

This would be a great strategy. Feel though if went full on, there would need to be a two week slught easing to mentally prep the country. Not major opening but just a few weeks where can visit people outside. Problem though is if this happens, some people will go wild and be house parties everywhere 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Except they're throwing a bone to people who want schools open. So they're not throwing bones, other than the ones they're throwing to some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

JMNolan wrote: »
    My son has a few buddies over today and he's heading off tonight for a house party. He's thrilled and I'm thrilled for him.

Your son should be (and hopefully is) arrested.

Quazzie wrote: »

I doubt he will though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Quazzie wrote: »

His son is 100% right.

I hope he has a great night.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

His son is 100% right.

Can you ask him can I come too....I'll bring a case of Coors and a bottle of captain Morgan.

I've learned the Guitar and several pieces on the Harp if they are looking for music

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Edz87 wrote: »
    I've learned the Guitar and several pieces on the Harp if they are looking for music

D'ya know wonderwall?

On the Harp like.....

hynesie08 wrote: »
    D'ya know wonderwall?

On the Harp like.....

Yes. AND Wagon Wheel. I'm unreal so I am :cool::D

We've enough here to organise our own houseparty, leave the youngster have their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Hooked

His son is 100% right.

YOU'RE WRONG!!!!

His son is 110% right...

Go enjoy your life. This lockdown is utter bóllöcks!

12 people under 35 have died "WITH" covid - in almost a YEAR!!!

Sure, lock up the over 75's and the very sick...
    but it's beyond a joke now to lock up the rest of us...

E mac wrote: »
    Can you ask him can I come too....I'll bring a case of Coors and a bottle of captain Morgan.

Ah, Captain Morgan, you'll be popular.

Miss those texts. Saturday evening round 7 when there's a flurry of texts, "going out"? "Pints"? "What are you doing tonight"? "What time"? "Sound!"

josip wrote: »
    Ah, Captain Morgan, you'll be popular.

jaysus...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

CONSI wrote: »
    What I find frustrating is that originally we had an R Rate that we had to get below, then it was cases, then it was hospitalisations. The message doesnt remain consistent. Places like Kerry or some other counties have been trending below 10 cases a day for a while and still cant reopen or extend their 5km movement (not in Kerry myself but it was one county I remember from the report I saw). People can take 9 more weeks of this when the vaccine roll out plan is such a shambles and no end in sight

Exactly, keep shifting goal posts.

Just wait till we are 100% vaccinated and hospitals empty when they still say level 5 lockdown to continue to October 2023 .... even the masochists loving this ****e will be marching

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Originally it was three weeks to flatten the curve. 12 months on we are no closer to getting out of this.

There are only two possibilities.

1. This was the plan all along and an evil plot is afoot to destroy the world as we know it.

2. Our leaders are utterly incompetent and are making this up as they go along with no clue how we get out of this and are only interested in clinging to power whatever the cost.

It believe option 2 is the reality.

Nobody thinking person can take this pandemic seriously anymore.

Each one of us must ask themselves right now:

"What are you prepared to do?"

Ok...What are you prepared to do?

What's your solution to it all?

Open everything up? We saw what happened at Xmas when there was only a very slight relaxation of restrictions when numbers were similar to what we have now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

A young fella going out to have a few drinks in a friends house should be arrested!

And

Opening up schools to educate our children is "throwing the populace a bone"

Jesus Christ what have we become???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement