Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

the kelt wrote: »
    A young fella going out to have a few drinks in a friends house should be arrested!

And

Opening up schools to educate our children is "throwing the populace a bone"

Jesus Christ what have we become???

Funny thing is they ll ask you now "whats your proposed solution??"

and when you do answer they ll say "well you are not an expert though" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭antgal23

aido79 wrote: »
    Ok...What are you prepared to do?

What's your solution to it all?

Open everything up? We saw what happened at Xmas when there was only a very slight relaxation of restrictions when numbers were similar to what we have now.

1/ 4 week total lockdown, followed by a level 4 working down approach

2/ Regional lockdowns for places with high cases

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

antgal23 wrote: »

So people are going to houseparties in level 5 and you expect that to change if suddenly we call it a "total lockdown"?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Hooked wrote: »
    YOU'RE WRONG!!!!

His son is 110% right...

Go enjoy your life. This lockdown is utter bóllöcks!

12 people under 35 have died "WITH" covid - in almost a YEAR!!!

Sure, lock up the over 75's and the very sick...
    but it's beyond a joke now to lock up the rest of us...

Deaths are only part of the picture. We seen from each wave so far that cases rise exponentially before lockdowns start to have an effect. If cases were allowed to rise it will naturally result in more people being hospitalised.
    You're right in saying the number of younger people dying has been low but do you have any proof that most people under say 65 who require medical treatment for covid would survive if that medical treatment wasn't available to them as there was no doctor or nurse available to treat them?

Funny thing is they ll ask you now "whats your proposed solution??"

and when you do answer they ll say "well you are not an expert though" :D

They are gaslighting people.

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    So people are going to houseparties in level 5 and you expect that to change if suddenly we call it a "total lockdown"?

I would expect more things to be closed and fewer people travelling from A to B

What do you mean by total lockdown? We've had level 5 for well over 4 weeks and the cases are only just dropping below 1000 a day now.

I'd agree with the regional lockdowns in theory but they're impossible to police in reality because there's still alot of people travelling for work and other essential activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Might be sooner than we think:

"But the consistent and rapid decline in daily cases since Jan. 8 can be explained only by natural immunity. Behavior didn’t suddenly improve over the holidays; Americans traveled more over Christmas than they had since March. Vaccines also don’t explain the steep decline in January. Vaccination rates were low and they take weeks to kick in."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/well-have-herd-immunity-by-april-11613669731

The interesting thing about that article is the assertion that scientists are now afraid of using the term Herd Immunity for PR reasons

Trust the science and that.

JMNolan wrote: »
    My son has a few buddies over today and he's heading off tonight for a house party. He's thrilled and I'm thrilled for him.

Sorry but no, thats ridiculous carry on. Thats spreading at a stupid level and part of the reason we get stuck in continued level 5.

I get people are pissed off but house parties with dozens of people crammed in aint going to resolve this issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

It's probably been highlighted here already but I have a question

If 2/3 s of new cases are under 45 ( not going to die) and numbers are falling why persist with Level 5?

There are many people out there terrified that they will lose the Pandemic Unemployment Payment or no longer be allowed to work from home.

This is sizable population and a defined voting block. It's extremely important to retain their support by borrowing enormous sums of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,235 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Except they're throwing a bone to people who want schools open. So they're not throwing bones, other than the ones they're throwing to some people.

Yeah and it doesn’t make people happy. Throwing bones doesn’t make people happy. Better to stick to the plan. If opening schools is factored into the plan then fine. If they’re just doing it to appease parents of school age children then it’s not as good.

People are saying they want to be thrown bones. But they don’t. They want the place reopened. And that’s not happening for a little while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

I would be willing to bet if they started charging people for covid tests, say €300 and stopped giving €350 a week to isolate you'll see cases disappear to absolutely nothing

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    There are many people out there terrified that they will lose the Pandemic Unemployment Payment or no longer be allowed to work from home.

I'd say that number pales in comparison to the people itching to get back to work to earn a decent wage and the people who can't wait to get back to the office so they don't have to work from their kitchen table sitting on an uncomfortable chair and home schooling a couple of kids at the same time.

tommybrees wrote: »
    I would be willing to bet if they started charging people for covid tests, say €300 and stopped giving €350 a week to isolate you'll see cases disappear to absolutely nothing

Yeah and if they stopped x-raying people cases of broken bones will go down too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭accensi0n

josip wrote: »
    Because for reasons only known to themselves, they set a ridiculous opening up criteria of <100 cases for 28 days.

And with the weekly decrease of cases now at less than 10%, they find themselves painted into a corner where we wouldn't hit that target until June even with a 10% weekly decrease in case numbers.

BsYUnnR.png

So they can either admit they got it wrong, or they can continue this death march project with all of us.

How is it you know what the daily case number will be on the 21st?

What do you mean by total lockdown? We've had level 5 for well over 4 weeks and the cases are only just dropping below 1000 a day now.

I'd agree with the regional lockdowns in theory but they're impossible to police in reality because there's still alot of people travelling for work and other essential activities.

Three coffee shops are open within 500 metres of my house, families meet up there every day. Close them.

No outdoor exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

Three coffee shops are open within 500 metres of my house, families meet up there every day. Close them.

No outdoor exercise.

And then what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

I'd say that number pales in comparison to the people itching to get back to work to earn a decent wage and the people who can't wait to get back to the office so they don't have to work from their kitchen table sitting on an uncomfortable chair and home schooling a couple of kids at the same time.

I know quite a few that are much happier WFH and better off on pup.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40221959.html

40% in no mind to return to work. That's over half if you exclude essential workers. WFH is generally well paid too.

And then what?

Reduce movement quicker, reduce spread quicker, reduce numbers quicker, reduce hospital admissions quicker

Clear?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The WHO are dick swinging about after the vulnerable are vaccinated, we should be giving our vaccines to ****house countries. The G7 are meeting today about it.

I can Micheal Martin, Varadkar and Coveney handing over hundreds of thousands of vaccines, to secure their own status amongst the global NGOs and keeping us under Level 2-3 Restrictions..

It is genuinely an Us vs Them scenario.

With all due respect, F**k Botswana and F**k Nicaragua.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Reduce movement quicker, reduce spread quicker, reduce numbers quicker, reduce hospital admissions quicker

Clear?

Increase obesity, increase domestic violence, increase depression, reduce the last few independent places trying to keep the lights on.

Clear?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Sure. Sure.

Meanwhile, back in reality...

No covid restrictions in Florida no issues with covid there things are normal. So it's not really that unrealistic to want restrictions gone.

The WHO are dick swinging about after the vulnerable are vaccinated, we should be giving our vaccines to ****house countries. The G7 are meeting today about it.

I can Micheal Martin, Varadkar and Coveney handing over hundreds of thousands of vaccines, to secure their own status amongst the global NGOs and keeping us under Level 2-3 Restrictions..

It is genuinely an Us vs Them scenario.

With all due respect, F**k Botswana and F**k Nicaragua.

I dont believe we are in the G7 so their decisions mean nothing to us

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Hey. This thread isn't the place for basic facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,698 ✭✭✭Allinall

GT89 wrote: »
    No covid restrictions in Florida no issues with covid there things are normal. So it's not really that unrealistic to want restrictions gone.

https://www.gouvernement.fr/en/coronavirus-covid-19

Severe restrictions, including curfews applied in France.

So it's not really that unrealistic to want reasonable restrictions to continue here, until things improve.

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    I know quite a few that are much happier WFH and better off on pup.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40221959.html

40% in no mind to return to work. That's over half if you exclude essential workers. WFH is generally well paid too.

3 people in my house. 2 just as well off after tax and expenses by staying on PUP. thankfully they both got fed up and went back to work for a while until sent home again but its kinda hard to keep them motivated to get up at stupid oclock for work when their mates are getting up at midday and not even getting dressed. Early 20s tend not to consider the long game

Know a few working from home, one in the HSE, nothing provided and using her own laptop. Second, her husband works for a bank. Provided with a new computer, desk and stationary. They even set it up for him.

So I think we can safely say we all know people in the scenarios. Some financially worse off and others better. Some happy to wfh and others itching to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Allinall wrote: »
    https://www.gouvernement.fr/en/coronavirus-covid-19

Severe restrictions, including curfews applied in France.

So it's not really that unrealistic to want reasonable restrictions to continue here, until things improve.

They have schools opened since Jan in France. Hairdressers re opening 1st of March. You may want to link another country for comparison to Ireland :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,698 ✭✭✭Allinall

They have schools opened since Jan in France. Hairdressers re opening 1st of March. You may want to link another country for comparison to Ireland :pac:

Where did I compare it to Ireland?

But we dont have curfews. each country has taken its own road. Its not going to be possible to compare like for like

Remember when France was putting people back on private planes and sending them home? Or when the entire of Paris had to wear masks outdoors and there was no allowance for smoking, eatting or drinking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It's the emphasis of it. If they bow down, the rest will be pressured to follow. I can see Biden saying yes, just to make himself out as the Anti-Trump. Russia and China will say yes but won't :pac:

Although the EU are in such a **** position on Vaccines, they'll probably have to keep them inside Europe to save their own skins.

Varadkar and Coveney are hardened globalist. Coveney desperately wants a gig at the UN. Varadkar is never going to back benches. They'll look after themselves and leave us hanging with restrictions until 20 whatever

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement